U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

230 posts, read 427,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You could get by renting on that salary w/o any issues Id imagine. How much can you spend a month on rent?
Steve,
I am trying to be no higher than $900.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,963,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Hey Manheim,
I have interviews in both Chicago and Joliet, hence the reason I am posting all over the place. LOL!! The job in Chicago is at a little over $40k, and the job in Joliet is a little over $38k.

So are you saying it would be cheaper to live on one of those salaries in Chicago?
Cost of living in Chicago is higher than the suburbs. Assume you live and work on the South Side, your commuting costs dwindle. Many people living and working in Chicago do this. I know that when I move in the spring, My wife and I are selling one of our cars. It only makes sense.

I don't know how much culture you need, but I happen to think the opportunities are endless in Chicago. I love Joliet very much- they have the Rialto theater, "riverboat gambling", a semi professional baseball team..etc. It's a solid working class city.

I am student teaching at Joliet West HS, and my wife student taught at Edna Keith elementary. The teacher quality is better than what you may find in many South Side schools, imho. Most of my colleagues are engaged in student learning, and have their masters. I'd honestly send my own kid to West if push came to shove.

I could ramble about Joliet forever, but I won't.

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
And this is in the City of Chicago correct? Is that 3bedrooms?
I was talking about Joliet. I haven't priced 3/2 house rentals in any Chicago neighborhoods aside from Morgan Park, Beverly, and Mt. Greenwood. If you like diversity, East Beverly is pretty awesome. My wife and I are looking hard there at some housing. Typically, if a house such as I have described is rented there, it'll be more like 1200-1400.

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM

LOL!! The position for Joliet is at River Valley Detention Center. I hope I get it. I interview next week. Basically, I am trying to get a feel for what the cost of living is in that area. Especially for a single mom (no child support) on that salary. Trying to avoid getting a 2nd job, but if I have to, I would.

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
I was talking about Joliet. I haven't priced 3/2 house rentals in any Chicago neighborhoods aside from Morgan Park, Beverly, and Mt. Greenwood. If you like diversity, East Beverly is pretty awesome. My wife and I are looking hard there at some housing. Typically, if a house such as I have described is rented there, it'll be more like 1200-1400.
Oh, ok, well maybe it would be better for me to get the job in Joliet then. The price range you gave for that area, would be fine. Although, I don't think I would need a 3 bedroom. I have come across a few people on Craigslist who are listing condos/apartments in Glendale Heights, Joliet, Bolingbrook, and Plainfield for $875-$900 for a 2bdroom/1 bath. Do you think that is reasonble for those areas? I have also found a lot of rent to own for those prices. Which I thought was pretty good. Since you teach there, how would you rate the Joliet school system?

Unread 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

If you're just looking for a 2/1, renting would be pretty easy either way.

the Joliet school system is not horrible at all, provided you actually care about your kid, and are willing to play an active role in raising them. People seem to think that the Joliet school system gets less than desirable report cards because of bad staff. The truth is that many of our students are ESL, and guess what? They take the same tests as everyone else and they don't speak English too well. I've seen the honors programs at both the middle school level, and HS- while not tip top shape, will still send a willing kid to a good college.

Unread 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks Manheim. I agree, we as parents have to do our fair share in raising and supporting the schools that are children go to. The teachers are their to educate and guide, but they certainly should not be held responsible for parenting children, that aren't theirs. With that being said, I am quite excited about the move, prospects and possibilites Illinois has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs