Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 PM

242 posts, read 753,298 times

Advertisements

I'm staying at a bed and breakfast in algonquin, and we're flying into midway. the hostess at the bed and breakfast told us that we would have to pass through many tolls. What roads are they on? thanks. and how much is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM

545 posts, read 2,036,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
I'm staying at a bed and breakfast in algonquin, and we're flying into midway. the hostess at the bed and breakfast told us that we would have to pass through many tolls. What roads are they on? thanks. and how much is it?
REPLY: The Tolls are on I-294 and I-90. Youll pay a total of about $5-6.00 but this route is the best for you from Midway to Algonquin . I strongly suggest that you do NOT get caught in rush hour traffic on this route from Midway ; major traffic backups occur especially between 4 pm to 7 pm . Its not as bad in the morning as it is when people are coming home from work. What adds to the traffic woes is Ohare Airport located where I-294 and I-90 meet.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
If you have an EZ-Pass, bring it. Our tollway system is linked to the EZ-Pass system.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,754,271 times
Actually, most of those Tolls can be easily avoided.

when you come out of Midway.... take 55th west, not Cicero to the highway.

55th, as you go West, will turn into Archer, which will turn into 171, which will turn into 1st Avenue. It's basically 1 road ... you will only have to make 1 left turn ... off of 55th onto Archer.

First Ave ... at that hour, the traffic will be a snap ... then jump onto I290 WEST toward Rockford/West 'burbs [i can't recall what the sign reads]

then take that all the way to I90 west, Rockford ... you should hit only 1 toll ... I'm guessing you will get off at Rte 31 West.

I honestly do not know what that toll is, on that off ramp, as i have the IPass .... maybe 0.60

BUT that route will get you around all the tolls. IT's an easy ride ... that is how I go, and can do that in my sleep I've done it so many times.

I think when you are calculating routes, you can check something that says AVOID TOLLS. and it will re-route you ..... I'm thinking on I294/I90 there would be 3 tolls.

1) around 22nd street
2) the one around O'Hare
3) Rte 31 off ramp

correct me if i'm wrong guys .... but at double tolls due to no IPass... those will add up.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Default ez-pass?

is anyone positive that ez-pass will work in illinois?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Looks like it does.

E-ZPass - Information (http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/illinois.shtml - broken link)

I also found this old [2005] article on Ch7 news ... that is what lead me to chekc the EZ pass site
abc7chicago.com: I-Pass transponders now work in 11 states 9/26/05

Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM

From the Illinois Tollway website (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,1392915&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTA L - broken link):

"The Illinois Tollway is working with other agencies so that you can enjoy the benefits of your I-PASS when you travel beyond Illinois. You can use your I-PASS to pay tolls on the Chicago Skyway and anywhere E-ZPass is accepted.*

If you’re an E-ZPass holder, you too can use the Chicago Skyway as well as the Illinois Tollway System."

Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM

thaniks, but does anyone know if it will work in a rental car??

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
thaniks, but does anyone know if it will work in a rental car??
Why on earth wouldn't it work in a rental car?

Do you have a suction-mount thingy for your EZ-Pass? If not, it should still work if you put it on the dashboard; just be sure to put it transmitter-side up -- that is, the side that would be toward the windshield were it mounted on the windshield should be face up on the dash.

The main drawback is if for some reason the system doesn't pick up your pass's signal, the rental company will eventually get a ticket or series of tickets at the toll rate plus $20 per infraction. They will then turn around and charge them to your credit card.

This can be prevented if you have some way to update the EZ-Pass account to include the rental car's license plate number before you get rolling. (Maybe call home to someone who has internet access who can do a temporary update? Maybe you can reserve a specific car and ask them to provide the license plate number ahead of time?)

If that's not practical and you want to be absolutely sure the pass actually registers in order to prevent fines, go through the manual gates instead of the "open road tolling" lanes. If the pass registers, the gate will lift automatically. If it doesn't, give the attendant the necessary funds and you're on your way.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Mike -- i would try to contact someone within either your EZ Pass or Ipass to find out for sure.

I know our Ipass'es are for whatever License Plate is registered to each transponder.

We have 2 for 5 vehicles ... myself and my oldest use the Toll system the most, so we get the transponders in our car... but if my youngest needs it, he will take mine ... his car is registered to transponder.... this is for theft purposes, from what i hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs