Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM

46 posts, read 194,869 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am originally from Chi suburbs...relocated to Cincinnati for a year and I hate it! So, I'm coming home! When I do move back I will be working downtown, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any apts that are within walking distance of any of the stops on the BNSF train line? I do know of the main ones - any of the apts by Fairway Dr (Country Lakes, Bristol Station, Railway Plaza) near the Rt 59 stop. But what others do people know of? The ones I mentioned are kind of pricey...I was trying to stay in the $900-1000 range for 2 bedroom (although my daughter and I could squeeze in a 1 bedroom). The other concern is schooling...daughter is in 1st grade and I'd be looking for after (possibly before) school care. I am also not opposed to apts that may be in walking distance of the Union Pacific West Line. I research Wheaton Center (I'm originally from Wheaton)...but again they are pricey and renovating right now anyway so no availability for the rest of this year.

So what ideas does everyone have? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM

Anyone??

Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Give it some time.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM

111 posts, read 381,360 times
I'd look in Berwyn, Riverside or Brookfield on the BNSF. Plenty of apartments around there, very close to the train line, and a lot shorter commute than out to Route 59.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
This is a tough question... that kind of price range wont usually put you right near a Metra stop, they usually charge more for the convenience it seems. You can look into Wheaton, there is a tiny lil' old apartment complex right near Wheaton College and the Metra stop there, but I dont remember the name of the complex or how much they charge.

Id highly recommend Railway Plaza, but it is pricey (but worth it). I lived there for a year and absolutely loved it and the convenience of being right by the Metra stop and all that Naperville has to offer. The only downside was the traffic and parking availability. Some commuters would get away with parking in our lot and taking up 1/2 the parking spaces. I used to LOVE watching the tow trucks come yank their cars out of Railway Plaza. lol

Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Are you willing to consider some of the inner burbs? Oak Park definitely has some two bedrooms in your price range, walking distance to the UP-West. You could also get by without owning a car, which will save a ton of money also. Elmhurst, Forest Park, and Berwyn might also be worth a look too.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Are you willing to consider some of the inner burbs? Oak Park definitely has some two bedrooms in your price range, walking distance to the UP-West. You could also get by without owning a car, which will save a ton of money also. Elmhurst, Forest Park, and Berwyn might also be worth a look too.
About » Berwyn Housing Center

Several apartment buildings within a stone's throw of the BNSF line on Stanley and Windsor. 15-18 minutes to the Loop.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM

204 posts, read 813,354 times
I lived at Bristol Station for 2 years and only left because I left for Florida.

I liked Bristol Station a lot. It is close enough to the train station (but not close enough to hear it) and you can take the Naperville express into the city. Also, since you get on early, there is always a seat you can get.

The price may seem a little high at Bristol Station, but I thought it was remarkable how well the apartments were built. My gas bill was never over $35/m and very, very rarely heard neighbors.

Railway plaza was a couple hundred more a month and on top of the train station, and Country Lakes some less desirable people and is further away from the train station.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 PM

I actually use to live in Forest Park, right on Madison, and I did like it - location wise. I was door to door to work in 30-35 mins. But I don't like the apts in that area. They are all much older compared to apts out in Naperville. And it's hard to find an apt with more than one bathroom or washer/dryer. But I guess since I have the lower end of the price range I can't be picky! I have been heavily looking into Brookfield. I just don't know anyone from there, so don't know how the neighborhood will be. But it's also an "older" community in terms of the property.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM

111 posts, read 381,360 times
Brookfield is fine, and if you have a child, probably a better bet than Berwyn with respect to schools. The apartments are older than anything you'll find in Naperville, and you may be hard pressed to find a 2 bed 2 bath at your price point. You should be able to find a 2 bed 1 bath, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs