U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 25,010 times

Advertisements

hi to all,
I am a British woman whose husband is being transferred to libertyville from UK with his work. I expect that I will follow on, in due course with 4 yr old son and pet dog. Is libertyville a good place to stay or is it better to move out a little? If so, where, bearing in mind that our main priority is our son ie we need a safe environment with good schools etc. Any info would be much appreciated Thanks in advance....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 57,792 times
well...the schools are very good and its pretty safe...great place for your son
im a 14 year old going to school in Libertyville, and it's a pretty rich town to live in..we get a lot of people like you coming and going from different countries due to jobs, so you wont be the only one

Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,594 times
Arrow Re: What is Libertyville like

Libertyville has lots of new homes, and a country feel with wide open spaces and shopping centers. There is also a "down town" main street with shops, eateries, etc.,.. Home prices are reasonable for new construction as compared with other towns. Commute to downtown Chicago via Metra train, or by car on the highway. By train it takes approximately 45 minutes. By car, a bit longer during the week and quicker at certain times during the weekend. For information on all schools in Illinois visit: http://iirc.niu.edu/default.html (broken link)

Enter in a town's name and it will pull up all of the schools with a report card or rating for each.

[moderator edit]
no advertising
[/moderator edit]

Let me know if you have questions about any other areas.

Best Regards, Adrienne

Last edited by Yac; 02-06-2006 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,797 times
I live very close (5 mins south) to libertyville and it is a very safe, very quiet area. If you are a single, 26yr old guy that is new to the area in the middle of winter... well, then it completely sucks... but would be great for you and your family. Downtown is an easy 45min train ride and run often enough to get you in and out of the city with minimum difficulty...

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,594 times
You'll love Libertyville! The people are nice, although a tinge stuffy, but the schools are wonderful and you have everything around you! The property taxes are huge but you get what you pay for!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 AM

281 posts, read 805,787 times
There is the Independence Lake Forest Preserve, very pretty with a boat lagoon and swimming beach and a nature museum. There is also a dog park, where your dog can run about off-lead. Milwaukee Road in the center of town has the look and feel of an English high street, with nice little shops and cafes, some very nice restaurants and a lovely big Episcopal (Anglican) church. You are also near Gurnee which has loads of shopping and restaurants and a huge Six Flags amusement park. Schools are excellent. The train will take you to downtown Chicago in about an hour for $5. It's a lovely community, I think you will like it.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 13,774 times
I am thinking about moving to the Chicago suburbs--and I just loved the town of Geneva...but it is over an hour commute to Chicago. Is there any town that is a lot like Geneva but a bit closer to Chicago?
Thanks!
-TillinG

Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,846 times
Libertyville is a very quaint town with lots of activities for not only the kids, but also adults as well. The population is about 19,000 and seems a lot smaller. You can go downtown to eat and find yourself conversating with old and close friends which may turn into a drink or two at Mickey Finn's Brewery or the other fine establishments in town. It is a great place to raise your family. It is only a 45-50 minute train ride to Chicago too.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,583 times
Default what is Libertyville like?

Hi, I am also a british woman married to a brit have lived in U.S. for 11 years both children born here, moved to Libertyville 4 years ago as has great little mainstreet town that if you live near enough to can walk into, has a park there and coffee houses and nice little shops, has a farmers market once a week through summer til mid October, very good schools and pre schools here, quite a few brits too!, couple of good bars in town and LOTS of good shopping places around, hope this helps, if you need anymore info please contact me. M. Barton.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,698,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillingG View Post
I am thinking about moving to the Chicago suburbs--and I just loved the town of Geneva...but it is over an hour commute to Chicago. Is there any town that is a lot like Geneva but a bit closer to Chicago?
Thanks!
-TillinG
some other nice ones i can think of that are much closer:

-Morton Grove(doesn't have the 'old-time feel' of Geneva, but there's a decent forest preserve running through the middle of town, plus a river and a north-south bike trail, + along Metra)
-Elmhurst
-Park Ridge
-Des Plaines

i could much better answer your question if you were a little more specific in what qualities you were looking for in a town. you'd probably find any of these mentioned towns to be nice, though Park Ridge and Elmhurst have the most 'old' charm to them, if that's what you're looking for. Morton Grove or Des Plaines is probably the best of these suggested towns to live in, if you want to bike a lot and live near the woods(and are the most diverse of my 4 suggestions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs