Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 19,729 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if there has been any remediation system for radon installed either in Oak Park or River Forest. Would a remediation system lower the value of the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM

643 posts, read 1,479,816 times
Default Radon Mitigation Systems are Good Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca-Mia View Post
I would like to know if there has been any remediation system for radon installed either in Oak Park or River Forest. Would a remediation system lower the value of the house?
I have had two state-of-the-art radon mitigation systems installed on two different houses -- neither in Oak Park, but I don't think that matters. The first house I had it done while under construction in Naperville. The second house was in another western suburb where the house actually tested positive for radon. (The first house we did as a precaution while it was being constructed).

Anyone researching radon will come to the conclusion that a house with a high quality mitigation system (which costs approx. $1,000) is safer and healthier than one without. I won't live in a house without one. I spoke the EPA about this when I relocating to Illinois a few years ago, and the representative I spoke to said that the EPA was is in the process of trying to lower the legal level of radon. Once a house has an effective radon mitigation system, there is no reason to even think about radon....the unit takes care of it automatically and the air is constantly tested so that the homeowner can see that the unit is working and/or there is no radon present.

So I'd say it's a excellent investment.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 PM

610 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Radon mitigation systems are all over. I have one in my home now and have had to install them in two previous homes when I sold them. In my opinion I do not think they detract from the value of the home. I'd rather know the issue was resolved than to wonder about the radon levels or have to test and install myself. Like the previous post said, it runs about $1,000 to have the system installed.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 19,729 times
Does people in general understand about radon and the remediation system?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM

137 posts, read 547,657 times
Radon Detection Systems in IL in particular add to a home's value rather than detract. In the state of IL it is law to inform potential buyers about the hazard of radon gas. The cost for active mitigation runs approximately $1,200.00 The cost to test for it is approximate $175.00. If a home already has it installed that is a BIG plus and a relief for someone purchasing.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM

374 posts, read 1,031,850 times
We had our sellers install one. It was about $1200. We had testing done with Elliott and Assoc. Their bid was high so the sellers didn't use them. They have an excellent reputation. I can't recall who our sellers used and I can't seem to find it anywhere. They do a lot of work in OPRF.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM

610 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca-Mia View Post
Does people in general understand about radon and the remediation system?
I think people who are house hunting understand radon and the mitigation system, especially those who are using a Realtor. As mentioned in another post, there is a disclosure form signed by the seller (and eventually the buyer) regarding radon.

We had Elliott and Assoc. install our mitigation system and we are very pleased with it. DuPage Radon is also another good company. Just remember that a radon tester can not be a mitigator in the state of IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs