Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 23,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMayor View Post
There is also way to many non-owner occupied homes which have been bought up by investors and rented to low income subsidized renters. Overall it isn't as nice a place to live in as it was 20 years ago when I first moved to PF, but it still is a nice place to live, with all the parks, the excellent library and the long time residents who are determined to keep this community from suffering the fate of many of the south suburbs. It is definitely worth checking out!
I am a past 50 yr resident of Park Forest, having lived there from 1952 to 2002.
What you have to say about the subsidized rental homes was part of the death knoll for that village. That and the loss of our only economy, the Plaza.
Its a sad, sad thing to see because I still see, if only in my mind and memory, the once vibrant community it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezer View Post

... I wouldn't reccommend the shools there now either....
I should say not! Apparently they can't even afford spelling books there!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
I am also evaluating moving to Park Forest, right in the new Downtown development. Can anyone provide some comments? I am undecided as I am not aware of the crime rate and general safety of the area. Also, what about schools?
After 50 yrs of living there (1952-2002) we moved because we were victimized twice in three months. We had lived in our home for over thirty years with never a problem. Needless to say, we put our home up for sale, sold it in a week and were gone three months later.

As much as I loved Park Forest, in its glory years, I would not recommend the town to anyone at this time. Its become a scarey place to me.

I hear the schools aren't very good either now adays, although I graduated from them at a time when they were excellent.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Default Apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I should say not! Apparently they can't even afford spelling books there!

Excuse the typo, please.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,104 times
I was raised in park forest when it was the best town. Voted 1976. The plaza and central park 4th of july. Very sad to se it now.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,001,245 times
Park Forest is commonly called Dark Forest by the youth of that area. There are gangs in park forest and the area is generally no good. I have family off of both Illinois and Berry street. The "neighbors" of that area often have looks of disdain and or bitterness on their faces. I wouldn't move to Park Forest unless you are used to having "neighbors" like that.

If I were you, I would move to Lansing. It's not much better but Park Forest and Matteson are getting worse off as that Urban Influence continues to spread.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletjazz View Post
New Homes in Park Forest, IL - Legacy Square (http://www.newhomesinparkforest.com/ParkForest/ - broken link)

Yes, a friend of mine who is also looking gave me this link. They are building some new homes over near the Police Station.. this is North of Sauk Trail.
These look very nice..my friend went over to look at a model... she liked it too..

FYI
Scar
Looks can be deceiving. What matters is the people inside those "nice" looking homes...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 26,003 times
Default Belated Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletjazz View Post
Hey gang.. well I did it. I moved to Park Forest in June of this year. Yes it is very diverse. I see that house all the time on Orchard. So far so good, except for one thing those darn taxes, they have gave me the blues.. This will be my first full year there in 2008 but I don't think I'll be there after my daughter graduates from Rich East. Thanks for all of your help.
I don't frequent this forum all that often, but I did see your post and wanted to welcome you to town.

Here's an article about the "Chinese House" that has been mentioned a few times in this thread. The owner takes great pride in the house and his bonsai trees:

The Bonsai Creations of Mark Reed

Enjoy the article. Mark was one of the first local interviews I did.

Last edited by frodojrr; 08-19-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM

92 posts, read 315,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magtrix60 View Post
I was raised in park forest when it was the best town. Voted 1976. The plaza and central park 4th of july. Very sad to se it now.

I hate to read this. I lived there from when I was born in 1970 until 74. We moved to Flossmoor but always went to PF for the 4th of July and I LOVED it! Brings wonderful memories of my childhood. What's it like now?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM

196 posts, read 966,624 times
I have an aunt in Park Forest and she raised her daughter there all alone. She did well for herself.
I find it hard to visit her., but the homes are reasonable and seems pretty safe. She has been there like 30 yrs to boot...house paid off, good for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs