Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Forest Park is due west of Oak Park. They share a border at Harlem Ave. OP has an excellent school system and the property values and taxes reflect that fact. FP shares its high school (Proviso East) with several high poverty, high crime suburbs. Proviso is generally acknowledged to be one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) school district in Illinois. This clearly depresses property values. If schools aren't an issue (or if private schools will work for you) FP isn't a bad choice as a cheaper alternative to OP. Crime is lower in FP since you're further away from Chicago.
Thanks sukwoo. I wasn't grasping that FP was west of OP, I had always thought it was south and west. I think long ago I got confused because of the naming of the Forest Park stops at the end of the blue line.

Only thing is, City-Data thinks crime was higher in Forest Park than OP, at least for 2006. I thought maybe the FP crime reading was elevated because of extra thefts caused by the Forest Park Mall, but neglecting thefts the rest of the crime (per 100K) is still 28% higher in FP than OP. I wonder why that would be? Perhaps the proximity to Maywood more than makes up for the distance from Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Thanks sukwoo. I wasn't grasping that FP was west of OP, I had always thought it was south and west. I think long ago I got confused because of the naming of the Forest Park stops at the end of the blue line.

Only thing is, City-Data thinks crime was higher in Forest Park than OP, at least for 2006. I thought maybe the FP crime reading was elevated because of extra thefts caused by the Forest Park Mall, but neglecting thefts the rest of the crime (per 100K) is still 28% higher in FP than OP. I wonder why that would be? Perhaps the proximity to Maywood more than makes up for the distance from Austin.
Hmm, that may be true regarding crime. It is a much smaller town than OP so a smaller number of incidents can still lead to a higher per capita rate.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Berwyn too. Though I do wonder, how much of this is nitpicky residents in Oak Park who report absolutely everything vs. people in Cicero who let things slide? I guess that's impossible to quantify. But I do know that petty crimes in the city usually go unreported, so the crime numbers for theft, etc. are probably too low in neighborhoods like Lakeview.

Believe me. People report e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in Cicero. The Adopt A Block program has been going strong for over 15 years. In addition, we have ways of reporting crime and suspicious behavior confidentially through tipster hotlines.

Cicero has gotten quiet because the criminal element has discovered that it's easier to move to communities where the police aren't as vigilant and where the town residents are in the denial stage that "those types" couldn't move/live in "their" towns.

Also, in Cicero there is no political reason to suppress crime stats as the "quality people" don't live here. There are no political reasons Not to report crime stats.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Anyone care to comment generally about differences between Oak Park and Forest Park? If there are any differences to speak of?

Comments about the safety and attractiveness of areas adjacent to the Green line versus Blue line?

Much has been made of this Harrison Street arts district (which I've never visited), but how does being right next Austin weigh on that area?
Forest Park has always been the watering hold for Oak Park because Oak Park was dry. As for Forest Park being more blue-collar, Oak Park was heavily blue collar until the mid 1970s when factory jobs dried up. Many newer Oak Parkers don't know that history because they don't have generational roots in Oak Park. Both towns were blue collar, heavily Irish, and Roman Catholic. In both towns, those populations changed with the times. While Oak Park became more white collar and professional, Forest Park stayed blue collar, but it was no longer the skilled blue collar world of the electrician, carpenter, or tool and die guy. It began to attract south siders that were being driven from their homes by crime due to integration. Panic selling, etc. These were basically unskilled people. Many others came to Forest Park when Austin and other west side nieghborhoods turned black. Forest Park also had an influx of East Indians from India and Pakistan, although most have sold their properties and moved on. Forest Park has always had a bohemian contingent of folks drawn by the train to the Loop and the cheap housing.

The area south of the park is a mixed bag. The main trouble in F.P. from what I can understand, is absentee landlords and crazy zoning laws. Proximity to Maywood is a definate causation factor in their crime stats. Also, with the gentification of the near west side in Chicago, Maywood, Forest Park, Oak Park, Berwyn and others are getting low-income residents displaced from their former homes. So far, the west side blacks are avoiding Cicero because the Mexicans have made it clear they don't want them, although I see more black kids walking to school than I used to.

Forest Park crime doesn't seem to be related to the mall on Roosevelt as much as one would think. There is crime along Madison St. but the store owners are vigilant and unintimidated. Home break-ins can be an issue, especially south of the Ike. A friend of mine who lives across the street from the F.P. pool on Harrison was broken into by a junkie who was looking for $.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:

Forest Park can be a little bit rough around the edges itself, in spite of being close to Maywood. And it's a very small village. There are more dead residents in Forest Park than alive ones (there are some HUGE cemetaries in Forest Park).

Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
As of September 28,2008, Maywood had 13 homicides so far in 2008 with 3 months remaining. I am searching for final 2008 murder rate stats, do not know if they have been released. They were on pace for at least 17 murders for all of last year. Wonder what the final tally was- I know this much- in a town as small as Maywood that goes from Roosevelt-Chicago ave. and from 1st avenue to roughly 22nd avenue- those numbers are alarming- leaving my vote for Maywood as the biggest hell hole suburb in Illinois.
It's pretty close to the biggest hell hole suburb, if not number one. There are some tiny south burbs that are probably worse, though (like Ford Heights).

Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 PM

40 posts, read 170,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I disagree with you about that stunt River Forest police pulled having the black man in handcuffs with his stolen merchandise on display. If the police were allowed to do more of this, sure Jesse Jackson would get upset, but there would be less crime. Less folks from Maywood and Austin would have the guts to rob areas like River Forest and Oak Park. You don't see ghetto blacks walking the streets in River Forest and this is because the police do not allow it. You do see this in Oak Park, especially as you approach Austin.
Yeah, damn those ghetto blacks! Making the entire world a horrible place! Whenever you see a ghetto black.............run for your life!!!!!! Do not allow "ghetto blacks" to walk anywhere that isn't a hell hole!!!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
I know Austin is a hell hole. Take away Austin, and Oak Park would be a much nicer place to live.
And take away Maywood, and Melrose Park would be a much better place.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Forest Park Web Boards - Powered by Web Wiz Forumsâ„¢

This is a good place to start to read about local concerns in Forest Park. For anyone considering moving to the town it's an interesting read. It's also interesting to those of us who live close by and/or have friends or business interests there.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Forest Park can be a little bit rough around the edges itself, in spite of being close to Maywood.
Yikes, I don't know what I was trying to say there. "In spite of" should be "in addition to". I must have been drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs