U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 PM

49 posts, read 288,565 times

Advertisements

What is IL-38/Roosevelt Road like to drive from Geneva to the I-290? Is it a limited access 4 lane highway for most of that drive, or is it a lot of stoplight and city street traffic? I'm looking at possibly living in Geneva/Batavia/St. Charles, and Mapquest and Yahoo Driving directions suggest driving all the way to 290 on that road vs. jogging down to I-88. What's the scoop on traffic and travel times on IL-38/Roosevelt Road during rush hours?

Thanks,

Ken
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
If youre working downtown Chicago, do NOT take 38 all the way into the city. It will probably take you over 2 hours to do that, plus youd have to drive through Chicago's notoriously bad west side. Whatever you do, take the highway (88 to 290), it will save you time. Just make sure to get an I-Pass, the new open road toll is a dream come true. As for traffic on 38, its not bad until you hit Wheaton (if youre heading east from Geneva), and from there on out its nothing but stoplights and horrendous traffic, trust me. To get from Geneva to Rt. 88, the fastest way would be to head east on 38 and take it until you hit Winfield Rd. Turn right (south) and take Winfield Rd to Rt. 88. It should only take you 15-20 minutes from Geneva to do that. Just beware of the train tracks on 38 near DuPage Airport (and the golf course), theyre a killer at times. The Toyota car depot is right near there and there is always freight trains leaving there and causing traffic jams. Why they havent built a bridge over these tracks is beyond my comprehension. LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,970,918 times
I occasionally drive to Geneva from Oak Park on Roosevelt Rd. From the VA hospital in Maywood to Geneva takes me about 40 minutes. My guestimate is about 40 minutes +/- 10 coming into Maywood based on the traffic I see coming that way.

Its at least 4 lanes the entire way, part of it is fairly undeveloped and fast moving, a large bit is congested with lots of lights. In my experience, taking I-88 versus Roosevelt is about the same. If you get stuck waiting for a train by the DuPage airport, you can really lose a lot of time. On the other hand, if you get lucky and hit mostly green lights, you may save time versus I-88.

Regardless of which way you drive, you should probably avoid taking I-290 (Eisenhower) which is always a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs