Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,713 times

Advertisements

Thanks irish girl. I didn't know they made high tech doggy doors. Sounds interesting. The funny thing is neither of my neighbors have a problem with the dog house. Instead my builder does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
in 2 of our 3 homes, we've had a dog door... great invention.

this house.. i told DH... "You are not punching a hole in my brand new home." so we dont have one... I did think however... to put one in the mud room door, which leads into the garage, then another one in the service door which leads into the fenced back yard.

been here 7 yrs and havent done it yet... so it probably will never get done.

We have a HOA, and do not have any weird restrictions... luckily. well, we can't have farm animals... but so far, that has not been an issue. *wink*

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143 View Post
Thanks irish girl. I didn't know they made high tech doggy doors. Sounds interesting. The funny thing is neither of my neighbors have a problem with the dog house. Instead my builder does.
Does your builder still control the HOA or has it been turned over to the residents yet? If it has not been turned over yet there is a chance you could change the dog house rule with the appropriate vote by the homeowners. You'll have to wait until the builder turns it over to you but in the meantime you can get the pulse of the subdivison to see what people think. The only problem with that is that it opens the door to allowing all kinds of things and people arguing over what is a good change for the HOA and what is not. In the meantime try hiding the dog house outside and see if anyone rats you out If so, then go for the high tech doggy door, much less than being fined by the HOA!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I would bet that dog houses are not allowed because there are too many irresponsible dog owners who keep their dogs outside all the time, and they become nuisance barkers. I'm not saying that would be you and your dog, but HOAs often implement harsh rules to prevent people from doing stupid things. There is always one idiot wgho ruins it for everyone else...

Where we live, in a semi-rural unincorporated area, most dogs live outdoors in dog houses, and in the 18 months we'be lived here, we have not been able to sleep with the windows open, not even once. Dogs bark all night long.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I would bet that dog houses are not allowed because there are too many irresponsible dog owners who keep their dogs outside all the time, and they become nuisance barkers. I'm not saying that would be you and your dog, but HOAs often implement harsh rules to prevent people from doing stupid things. There is always one idiot wgho ruins it for everyone else...

Where we live, in a semi-rural unincorporated area, most dogs live outdoors in dog houses, and in the 18 months we'be lived here, we have not been able to sleep with the windows open, not even once. Dogs bark all night long.
I certainly hope you live where it is warm. Nothing irks me more than to see people chain or cage their dogs outside all year long, especially up here where it gets REALLY cold. Why some people have pets is beyond me. I certainly agree with your point about why some HOAs don't allow doghouses and living next to a barking dog all day would drive me nuts and I'm a "dog person".

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I have neighbors who keep their dogs in the garage.
I never knew this until the first summer that they lived there... i could hear the dogs, two of them... barking all day... it was about 100° in the shade... i could not imagine how hot it was in that garage.
I was honestly just about ready to call the "county" on them. Poor babies.

a few nice summer evenings, when i like to keep my windows open... i'm kept up til close to 1am with those dogs barking until they come home from their night out.

I feel sorry for their direct neighbors ... but if it happens again this summer, they may just have to get a notice from the HOA. Though, i would think they have no idea that their pooches bark ALL NIGHT LONG, until they get home.. because they are not home to witness it.... and no body wants to be the "bad" neighbor and 'tattle' on them.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
I certainly hope you live where it is warm. Nothing irks me more than to see people chain or cage their dogs outside all year long, especially up here where it gets REALLY cold. Why some people have pets is beyond me. I certainly agree with your point about why some HOAs don't allow doghouses and living next to a barking dog all day would drive me nuts and I'm a "dog person".
Not only do we not live where we have warm winters, we live where the summers are pure hell -- Kansas City on the Kansas side. We moved here from Palatine in 2007. People leave their dogs to live outside ALL OVER this area. It drives me crazy. We looked at a lot of houses that had dogs chained up next door, and I said no way. No WAY would I live next to idiots who leave their dogs outside in ice storms and 90 degree heat, to bark and bark and bark. We have a lot of roamers, too, so I am constantly on alert when I'm outdoors with our two BC mixes. We have three acres, and fencing isn't an option, but my two listen really well when they see an intruder and want to give chase. By the way, where we are -- it is NOT illegal to let your dogs roam. Had I known that, we would have looked somewhere else.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM

What is the purpose of having a dog that you do not interact with and keep him/her chained/penned up outside all day and all night long? I'd rather see a "roamer" than one that is chained up 24/7.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,713 times
Our builder still controls the HOA and I had the same thought of going door to door. R rules state I need a 75% vote to change the rules. The other thing I was considering is there are no fines or disciplinary actions for offenders of this rule. What if I decide to just ignore it?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143 View Post
Hello everyone. I just joined this website and am amazed by all the useful information availiable here.

Our HOA does not allow any type of shelter for a dog. However the Illinois Humane Care For Animals Act states an owner must provide "adequate shelter and protection from the weather."

Who is right in this situation? Thanks in advance.
Both. "Adequate shelter and protection from the weather" does not mandate a dog house. You could also keep your dog in your house or in a heated garage. Since there are adequate alternatives to a dog house for compliance with the law, the HOA is going to win this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs