Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 16,247 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys, my husband works downtown, but we have to move west because my family is pretty far west off 1-88 (dixon ish) and if we chose North Shore we'd be too far.
thanks for all of the input, this is great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 AM

111 posts, read 381,199 times
Quote:
Hinsdale is prob best choice if work in Western suburbs

If work in Loop, prob far more valuable from both a career standpoint and from a role model standpoint for any kids to choose to live in Winnetka or LkForest, where most of Chic's younger high-achievers w/families choose to live (aside from GoldCoast/LP)
Leaving aside the snobbishness and, as Chet Everett pointed out, the inaccuracy of this statement, but have you been to Lake Forest lately? It's a city of 20,000 people. East Lake Forest is lovely, no doubt. It may be the most attractive suburban area in Chicago. The rest, however, (and particularly the western part) is not much different than any other upper middle class enclave in the US--oversized homes that will look dated (and not in a good way) in 10-20 years. Plus, I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that Hinsdale Central beats Lake Forest High School in almost any objective measure of performance (LT might as well).

Don't get me wrong, the North Shore is very nice, but not everyone who could afford it wants to live there. There are many reason to choose the North Shore, but there are some equally compelling reasons not to. Same for the western suburbs. The original poster should rest assured that she does her kids no disservice by going west instead of north.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The actual data on Hinsdale Central and Lake Forest is pretty similar, though there is a pretty large difference in "college readiness" index:

Lake Forest High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Hinsdale Central High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

I don't think the data tells the whole story though -- Lake Forest has a different history. In all but the pretty recent times, kids from Lake Forest were kids that went to private schools, often far afield. Hinsdale Central has a tradition of being the high school of choice for the community going back a looong time. Sorta like New Trier, though its tradition, and unique efforts to foster the best faculty, puts it in a special category in my book, if not the USNews rankings: http://www.usnews.com/listings/high-...chool_winnetka

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM

111 posts, read 381,199 times
Quote:
Lake Forest has a different history. In all but the pretty recent times, kids from Lake Forest were kids that went to private schools, often far afield.
That's true, and I should have noted it. However, as you suggest, this is not as prevelant as it was even 20 years ago.

I don't want to be responsible for starting another North v. West debate, or ending up debating the merits of two excellent schools, so I apologize if I've gotten this discussion off track.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 295,404 times
Do you plan send your children to Catholic schools? I have the impression that parts of Western Springs revolve around the parochial schools which may be a pro/con depending on your situation.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default I've lived in both.................

I occasionally look at this board and lo and behold, one of the few topics I am perfectly qualified for!! (Exciting for me !!) First of all, I want to say that both are great towns, and I would recommend either one, since they both have a small town feel and continually improve over time.

We moved from the city ( Lincoln Park ) to Western Springs in our late 20's in the early 90's. At the time, I had never really heard of WS, but our realtor found a great little house on a large lot not far from the train. We liked the town very much, and when the teardown boom in WS took off ,my expanding family got an unsolicited offer we could not refuse for our little house, may it rest in peace ( a huge monstrosity now sits in its place). We tried to stay in WS, but could not find a suitable house, no matter how hard we tried. We found a great house in Hinsdale, much bigger and better neighborhood for very little extra money, and we cautiously moved into our new town, wondering if the snob stereotypes would dampen our move and make us think we made a mistake. My daughter cried the first day of her new school, and made me question our move ( a depressing day ).

Now, four years later, I wouldn't move back even if the opportunity presented itself for the following reasons. I think, after living in both, that Hinsdale has more to offer as a town than WS. One of the main things that I can honestly say is that the schools in Hinsdale are better, both academically and structurally. Academically, all one has to look at is the rankings that are published in the Trib and Sun Times to know that Hinsdale overall may have the highest ranking elementary district in the suburbs. While some may attribute this to highly educated parents, I think this is only partially true, since WS has alot of professionals, but ranked lower. Hinsdale Central is always #2 to New Trier, and has many programs for its students. My kids' school has been recently renovated, and is beautiful, with a garden the kids plant in and roam in and a huge media center that used to be their gym.

I have found few, if any snobs here ( but yes there certainly one or two ), but some wonderful neighbors. There are also interesting people who have been transferred here from all over the country and world, and some who move on to bigger and better ( Steve Preston, the current HUD Secretary ). Hinsdale has a better library in my opinion than WS, an express train (WS is an express from La Grange ), a picturesque downtown, and a rolling topography (WS for the most part is flat ). Hinsdale is bigger, which might be a drawback, but people here associate with the neighborhood as a school district more than the town itself. Hinsdale has a great Christmas walk, (as does WS). Hinsdale also is a town of extremes: its most modest neighborhood is more modest that the most modest neighborhood in WS, and its most upscale neighborhood is more upscale than WS's.

Hinsdale has a great community house, historical society ( with a fully restored house from the 1800's ) and a fantastic fourth of July parade. At the train station, I have my choice of many types of coffee ( Starbucks, Cosi, Corner Bakery, Einstein's) for my morning buzz, and a newspaper store for my morning paper.

One downside to Hinsdale is the politics ( there is a group who constantly opposes new development ), but change does come, and currently there are plans by private owners to tear down two of the largest homes in town to build even bigger ones. All in all, you have to make the choice that is best for you, but I thought I would put my two cents in where you might want to be. But you cannot lose with either one, even though I am sure the Lake Forest booster on this topic might disagree.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
I grew up in WS and am now in my early 40's. I've also worked out in Hinsdale, and know there area very well. First off, you can't go wrong with either. Really, the whole LaGrange, WS, Hinsdale area has developed so nicely over the years, that the REGION is great and there aren't hard and fast boundaries. That being said, WS is plainly more sleepy than the other two. The downtown area is far less developed, and you'll essentially head east or west for some action. Also, Hinsdale has a great express train to the city which WS doesn't have. Hinsdale has more wealth, but we're speaking in relative terms here as the whole region is quite well off. Personally, I like Hinsdale better even though growing up I knew we were "poor cousins". Hinsdale has more topography to enjoy, better shops, etc., but really, you just drive 5 minutes west and you're there, so not much to compare. I thin they're both great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs