U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM

21,278 posts, read 19,344,335 times

Advertisements

I like it very much! I moved to Naperville in August. Yes, it's cold, but I'd guess you're used to it, being from Michigan. And it is trafficky. I've lived in worse, so "trafficky" is relative, but there are areas that take a while to drive to. I avoid the 59 and the Fox Valley Mall corridor.

It's lovely here, with lots of trees, rivers, lakes, nature preserves, a pretty downtown, the Riverwalk, the library, the children's museums, the schools (I can't say enough about how great the schools are), etc. We've enjoyed living here very much so far.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 PM

167 posts, read 284,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I live in STC and I work in Naperville...... I like STC over Naperville because it's not as congested, there's a lot more room to roam (If you're on the west side of the fox river) and the west side as your going out past randall rd is where you'll find Wayne il and a LOT of land for horses. I live really close by to a "Farm" that supplies stuff for horses. IT's called Regoles on Kirk Rd.

In my opinion if you want good schools and you want to be close to your horses, live in the western parts of St. Charles. STC schools are phenomenal. And STC just has a less stressed feel about it like Naperville has. My parents were thrown up in the air with their choice when we were looking at Naperville and STC and Schaumburg when we first moved here.

My parents picked STC for the schools and the fact that the town isn't so crammed with people like Naperville. It IS a big town, but not as big as Naperville. So you won't have to deal with the ridiculous traffic that you'll encounter in Naperville.
Thank you. We are leaning towards St.Charles- Greatschools.org rate the schools very highly, which is important to us - two girls 5 and 10.

I would like to live in a smaller town, with a small town feel

Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM

21,749 posts, read 37,240,355 times
Exclamation I know, I know, I can't help it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
In my opinion if you want good schools and you want to be close to your horses, live in the western parts of St. Charles. STC schools are phenomenal. ... My parents were thrown up in the air with their choice when we were looking at Naperville and STC and Schaumburg when we first moved here.

My parents picked STC for the schools and the fact that the town isn't so crammed with people like Naperville. It IS a big town, but not as big as Naperville. So you won't have to deal with the ridiculous traffic that you'll encounter in Naperville.
I almost hate to do this as often I as do, but given that it is so common I feel I must continue to do so.

ANY time some one says the "schools are wonderful, great, awesome" or some similarly subjective term THEY PERPETUATE the "settle for the bad job that MOST schools do in preparing students for the world.

America NEEDS TO BE MORE COMPETITIVE by having a MORE EDUCATED POPULATION.

That is why I feel the need to cite reliable, consistent, transparent analysis like the one from USNews that ranks high schools based on DATA. That data does NOT show the Saint Charles High Schools to be on the same tier as Naperville North or Naperville Central.

Now I don't expect everyone to know that, and I can't blame people for wanting to feel proud of the school that their parents picked / that they went to, but those feeling WILL NOT result in schools improving to meet the challenges of the future. And ALL SCHOOLS need to be measured objectively:

Naperville Central High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

Naperville North High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

Those are both in the "silver" category. The schools in St.Charles did not make that category, or the bronze below it. That is not the sign of a failing school, or one that does not probably serve some students very well, but neither is that a sign that the schools are phenomenal...

Great-schools.net might be useful for some things -- I sorta compare it to MotorTrend or JD Powers for car ratings. They are not transparent in their evaluations, are weak on the objective data, and swayed by consumer taste. Not all bad, but not the same as the evaluation used by USNews. Until there is better data on elementary school performance I think it is important to use an extrapolation of the High School ranking to evaluate where one would choose to live if schools are important to their choice.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I almost hate to do this as often I as do, but given that it is so common I feel I must continue to do so.

ANY time some one says the "schools are wonderful, great, awesome" or some similarly subjective term THEY PERPETUATE the "settle for the bad job that MOST schools do in preparing students for the world.

America NEEDS TO BE MORE COMPETITIVE by having a MORE EDUCATED POPULATION.

That is why I feel the need to cite reliable, consistent, transparent analysis like the one from USNews that ranks high schools based on DATA. That data does NOT show the Saint Charles High Schools to be on the same tier as Naperville North or Naperville Central.

Now I don't expect everyone to know that, and I can't blame people for wanting to feel proud of the school that their parents picked / that they went to, but those feeling WILL NOT result in schools improving to meet the challenges of the future. And ALL SCHOOLS need to be measured objectively:

Naperville Central High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

Naperville North High School: Best High Schools - USNews.com

Those are both in the "silver" category. The schools in St.Charles did not make that category, or the bronze below it. That is not the sign of a failing school, or one that does not probably serve some students very well, but neither is that a sign that the schools are phenomenal...

Great-schools.net might be useful for some things -- I sorta compare it to MotorTrend or JD Powers for car ratings. They are not transparent in their evaluations, are weak on the objective data, and swayed by consumer taste. Not all bad, but not the same as the evaluation used by USNews. Until there is better data on elementary school performance I think it is important to use an extrapolation of the High School ranking to evaluate where one would choose to live if schools are important to their choice.
I understand what you say, but from my point of view, the schools have to be better than the school we attended in El Paso and Tennessee. Texas and TN both ranked considerably further down the list than IL in the state by state rankings, so ST Charles or Naperville, will be a huge improvement for us.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 PM

5,422 posts, read 11,993,777 times
My kids currently attend District 303 St. Charles schools and are doing excellent. I highly recommend the area and there are many areas that have horse boarding. If you are close to Wayne (east side) or the farther West towards campton hills, there are stables as well. Don't know what your budget is, but SC area is nice because you can get a $200K house or a $2 million dollar house. Diverse housing stock. Also parts of Wayne are D303 as well. Wayne is beautiful, esp. along army trail road east of route 25. But pricey with a definite equestrian bent.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Oh yeah, and try to stay in-town if you go into Kane county, their unincorporated area zoning is really dice-y and that is being kind. Definitely has the potential to screw up your property values if you don't check the zoning carefully before you move into a property. It has in our case and it is now my mission to warn everyone of this. Also though, Kane county has awesome forest preserve system and the fox river if you like to canoe.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM

Sorry, missed the one post that says you must stay with your horses rather than board them. Wayne and West SC/Campton hills are the best areas as someone else stated. You could likely get something set up for equestrian.

No need to worry in your case. Many people here have horses, goats and alpacas even! I don't know what your budget is, but there are some beauties in the market along Army Trail Road through Wayne in D-303 (I drive through there every day and see the buses).

Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Sorry, missed the one post that says you must stay with your horses rather than board them. Wayne and West SC/Campton hills are the best areas as someone else stated. You could likely get something set up for equestrian.

No need to worry in your case. Many people here have horses, goats and alpacas even! I don't know what your budget is, but there are some beauties in the market along Army Trail Road through Wayne in D-303 (I drive through there every day and see the buses).
Our budget has a maximum of $550,000 would like to go less. There are a few mini-farm properties we have seen listed near Campton Hill. Some of them have been on the market for two years, which is a little nerve wrecking as you ask yourself why - but I guess the downturn has not helped.

Thank you.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,963,848 times
I think you'd really like the St. Charles/Campton Hills area. It really is beautiful and it definitely is a very horsey area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs