Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Metra rail compares quite favorably with any short haul diesel electic commuter rail system anywhere on the planet. Cars are all equiped with climate controls, padded seats, lavatories, wheel chair lifts, et cetera. The BNSF expresses that take 32 minutes from Union Station to Naperville is easily twice as fast as any auto could make the journey via any expressways or surface streets at any time of day. Crime is not an issue at all on Metra rail. Even CTA trains are remarkably free of crime.
And unlike CTA, there are conductors on every train who are there to resolve any problems that might pop up. This generally leads to cleaner and better maintained trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM

354 posts, read 2,076,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya88 View Post
My husband got a job in chicago downtown. We are newly married and looking for a decent apartment for rent ($1100-1500) in suburbs near chicago. We were thinking of considering areas like Oak brook, Schaumburg, Naperville, Arlington heights, Skokie, Wheaton....(It's really confusing to decide about)
Which area would be easy to commute (in train) to chicago downtown? Approximately, how much time would it take? How crowded would the trains be during office hrs(8-5)??
I would really appreciate your help. As I have come recently to USA from India, we are looking for a decent place with some Indian people (of our age group) around.
We have area's in Aurora and North Aurora that have rental apartments and homes in your price range around Indian Trail/Randall,
Randall/Sullivan and Eola Rd/Hafenricter. We have the Metra train that's easy accessible with parking ($1.50 daily rate). The train ride into and from the Loop area of downtown is approx. an hour from Aurora. Which you may want to look at. We also have a decent size of indian residents and the Balaji Temple. Here's the link and picture of the Temple.

Moderator cut: copyright

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu96QKE...ww.balaji.org/

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 12-21-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
My fiance's father takes the train in daily from Naperville to Chicago and it's about 30 minutes on the actual train (if you take an express train) and he then has about a 15 minute walk in Chicago. The other consideration is that parking at the Naperville train station is nearly impossible, so either having someone drop you off/taking the PACE/finding an apartment in walking distance is your best bet. What area of India are you from? My fiance's family is from Gujart. They love Naperville and the Indian population there. Many of their friends also live in Schaumburg, which also has a train. It sounds like you guys are leaning more towards the suburbs, which is understandable.
As for the suggestion about living in West Rogers Park, it's a large Indian neighborhood in the city, but it's nice just to go visit (tons of shops/restaurants). We currently live in East Rogers Park and my fiance jokes (kinda) that it takes him longer to get to work (in the loop) from East Rogers Park than it did when he was in Naperville...which is about true!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
We have area's in Aurora and North Aurora that have rental apartments and homes in your price range around Indian Trail/Randall,
Randall/Sullivan and Eola Rd/Hafenricter. We have the Metra train that's easy accessible with parking ($1.50 daily rate). The train ride into and from the Loop area of downtown is approx. an hour from Aurora. Which you may want to look at. We also have a decent size of indian residents and the Balaji Temple. Here's the link and picture of the Temple.

Moderator cut: copyright

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu96QKE...ww.balaji.org/

Thank you for the information and the link as well!! I used to visit Balaji temple every saturday (with my mom) when I was in India, now there is a chance of continuing it (but my mom cannot accompany me now ) ..
We were planning to stay in Naperville... I think Aurora is close to Naperville. Thank you once again..

Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 21,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
My fiance's father takes the train in daily from Naperville to Chicago and it's about 30 minutes on the actual train (if you take an express train) and he then has about a 15 minute walk in Chicago. The other consideration is that parking at the Naperville train station is nearly impossible, so either having someone drop you off/taking the PACE/finding an apartment in walking distance is your best bet. What area of India are you from? My fiance's family is from Gujart. They love Naperville and the Indian population there. Many of their friends also live in Schaumburg, which also has a train. It sounds like you guys are leaning more towards the suburbs, which is understandable.
As for the suggestion about living in West Rogers Park, it's a large Indian neighborhood in the city, but it's nice just to go visit (tons of shops/restaurants). We currently live in East Rogers Park and my fiance jokes (kinda) that it takes him longer to get to work (in the loop) from East Rogers Park than it did when he was in Naperville...which is about true!!!
Hey Jessie.....Thank you so much, You were really helpful....we are from South India, Andhra Pradesh. Even we are thinking of residing in Naperville. Thought it would be better to travel in a train than getting stuck in traffic
Thanks for informing about the parking in the Naperville train station, we will try to look an apartment near the station. But will all passengers get a seat in the train?? How about Rogers Park?? Is it close to Chicago??

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
... How about Rogers Park?? Is it close to Chicago??
Rogers Park is a neighborhood in the City of Chicago.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Hey Jessie.....Thank you so much, You were really helpful....we are from South India, Andhra Pradesh. Even we are thinking of residing in Naperville. Thought it would be better to travel in a train than getting stuck in traffic
Thanks for informing about the parking in the Naperville train station, we will try to look an apartment near the station. But will all passengers get a seat in the train?? How about Rogers Park?? Is it close to Chicago??

Yes, passangers will generally always get a seat on the train. Sometimes, if there is a huge event or something, it may be tough, but that is not the norm.
As Avengerfire mentioned, Rogers Park is a neighborhood in the city and is MUCH different than Naperville. It sounds like Naperville would be a good option for you and you can always drive in to Rogers Park to explore!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM

82 posts, read 394,480 times
I'd say Skokie; and it's a pretty easy commute to the city; plus it fits your budget.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
The Metra express from Naperville to downtown Chicago is great; those folks have an even shorter commute than I do because my train leaves Brookfield and stops at every little stop. The Naperville express gets you downtown in about 20 minutes. Naperville has some awesome Indian restaurants, so I have to assume the local Indian population is well represented there, and the I-88 "research and development corridor" that connects the west burbs to the city has many large technology companies that Indian people work in, like Tellabs. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
I'd also consider the suburbs just northwest of Skokie such as Niles, Morton Grove, Des Plaines, and Glenview. Morton Grove, Des Plaines & Glenview all have Metra access to downtown Chicago much like Naperville, just from a completely different direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs