U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 AM

21,441 posts, read 34,632,209 times
Where'd you get the idea that New Trier has a peer way out west?

USNews puts the schools that serve Arlington Heights & Mt Prospect in the same SILVER category as New Trier along with some others from DuPage and Cook. NOTHING in Will or Kane made "bronze" or even "honorable mention" District 204 built a very nice facilty way out there, but the objective results are just not substaitiated. Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 AM

158 posts, read 255,447 times
If your post is in response to mine, people always talk about how "great" Nequa is as well as other schools in Naperville which is why I lumped it with New Trier - not because they are of equal caliber but rather because people place both schools on pedestals as if they were the greatest institutions around.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM

27,734 posts, read 8,544,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Would you mind sharing where I can find something regarding ISAT being one of the lowest standards? Thanks.
There's a reprint of the Chicago Trib article here:
Misleading ISAT Scores (http://161nospinzone.org/Misleading_ISAT_Scores.html - broken link)

Quote:
Do you know if that's true of the ACT as well?
Yes - the ACT was recentered in 1989. More info:
http://www.gapsc.com/EducatorPrepara...ecentering.pdf

Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM

298 posts, read 518,318 times
Default I think you're close

[
I've looked at Lombard, Wheaton and La Grange. In two weeks we are going to be staying in Lombard a few days and plan on driving around to a few communities and I'm making a short list. I'd like to find perhaps a couple more but can't decide beyond those.

This is our wish list:

Downtown with character / charm
West or Northwest (easier to get back home for family visits)
Family friendly with lots of events (parades, goofy celebrations, farmers markets)
Metra station close by with no longer than a 45 minute train ride to downtown
Fairly close to O'Hare (within 30 minutes in optimal traffic)
Good/great schools
$400K to $600K price range
House with character, older or looks older (no cookie cutter in the middle of a field type house)
Great library
Close shopping
And this is silly, but coming fresh out of the Michigan forests... some established trees would be nice
oh and Starbucks (LOL)

You described La Grange perfectly, especially with the big trees, old houses, price range, Starbucks and shopping. The Pet Parade in the summer is great, and the location is central to all. You can also look in neighboring Western Springs and Claredon Hills, both nice towns, the schools in CH are apart of the Hinsdale schools ( District 181 ), which are always ranked very high. All those towns have a short commute to the city, big trees and character. And the prices have come down a bit, which is even better !

Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 AM

4,028 posts, read 4,109,274 times
Park Ridge would be a good fit.

-Right by O'Hare and 17 miles from downtown.
-As of now prices are an average of $450,000
-Great high school
-Honestly one of the best downtowns of the Chicago suburbs
-It has your Starbucks, multiple.
-It's an older town so many houses are from 1890s-1940s
-The library is part of the downtown, nice all around
-Two Metra stations
-Park Ridge has recently had downtown construction and is bringing in more shops but is currently doing well.
-Streets are lined with many old trees.
-Weekly farmers market in the summer, other community things throughout the year.

It's worth checking out.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 AM

34 posts, read 136,668 times
I live in the northern suburbs but also looked west where you are targeting. Also consider Hinsdale. Meets ALL of your requirements plus an excellent public school system.

Riverside was also a consideration for us. It's the next town "in" from La Grange. Very charming. For us the downside were the public schools beyond the elementary. They are not that good. Many choose to send their kids to private schools.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 AM

111 posts, read 239,052 times
I'm not sure where you got your information about Riverside's schools from, but it is incorrect. Riverside Brookfield is a good high school. It's not at the level of a New Trier or a Hinsdale Central, but it has good test scores, a safe environment, plenty of extracurriculars and a good college acceptance rate. It is also one of the few "walking" high school districts in the metro area--that is, no school buses to worry about. It does have a more diverse--at least in socioeconomic terms--student body than the premier high schools in the state, and a percentage of hispanic students (10-15%), which can bring down test scores (PLease note--this is not a judgement on intelligence or work ethic--it has do do with English language skills and primary education and preparation for high school). Again, I'm not saying it is one of the top 10 schools in Illinois--but I think its likely in the top 50 or so (depending, I suppose, on what source you use to comiple this info).

You are correct that some people in RIverside send their kids to private schools, but my experience is that, in most cases, this is a matter of family tradition--grandpa went to Fenwick, dad went to Fenwick, Junior will go to Fenwick. And Fenwick is, of course, an excellent school.

Last edited by johnm68; 01-12-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Look into Elmhurst as well. Fits your criteria to a "T". Good luck with the move.
I was also thinking Elmhurst woukd be a good fit. Very active downtown (research Elmhurst City Centre) , relatively near the city.

I know there are some school debates, but they tend to be questioning whether the public schools are really good or only kinda good. I would listen to Informed Consent's thoughts on this. I guess there's a heavy Catholic school system there?

Also second the rec for Mt. PRospect.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,595 times
A suburb that would fit your requirments is Palatine. The downtown is revitalized, the library wins awards anually; and it has a farmer's market, various festivals, wide variety of housing options (homes built in the 1800s - new construction), easy access to I-53, blue ribbon schools, convenience to Woodfield and Deer Park Town Center shopping malls, forest preserves on north side, and a Metra train station (with a Starbucks attached).

Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 99,281 times
I understand Wheaton to be both emphatically Christian and conservative.

I understand Elmhurst to be emphatically conservative/republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs