Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,377 times

Advertisements

as a 2010 graduate of proviso west, i can say the school now is predominately black and hispanic. But the school does not operate as poorly as this article says, perhaps 16 years was enough to change. I'm white, yet i do not feel open oppression from blacks, and the whites merge fairly well with the others, there is very little racism all together. The only open gang violence i see is from little scribbles on bathroom walls, and maybe hearing about a fight that took place in front of someones house. People need to look pass race, and that Paterson guy was not helping the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domebuddy View Post
as a 2010 graduate of proviso west, i can say the school now is predominately black and hispanic. But the school does not operate as poorly as this article says, perhaps 16 years was enough to change. I'm white, yet i do not feel open oppression from blacks, and the whites merge fairly well with the others, there is very little racism all together. The only open gang violence i see is from little scribbles on bathroom walls, and maybe hearing about a fight that took place in front of someones house. People need to look pass race, and that Paterson guy was not helping the problem.
Thanks for this testimony. A reality check is a good thing every now and then. Without this forum I seriously doubt I would ever talk to any recent high school grad, let alone one that from Proviso. Good to hear that you can attend the school without any real difficulties.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM

721 posts, read 1,793,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
There is no racial change in Chicago's suburbs or the city. It's just a place that is divided by race. Martin Luther King said that the worst racism that he saw was not in Mississippi, rest in peace Emmett Till (you didn't deserve that for whistling at a white woman), but Chicago. Remember the boy who swam into the white part of lake michigan and set off race riots? Chitown is all about race. Always has been, always will be.
I don't know if it's always about race, but it definitely does play a role the majority of the time. Usually, people tend to discriminate on the basis of income.

Anyway, about these schools. Proviso East/West seem to be seeing problems seen by a lot of other suburban schools. I can personally speak for the Niles West/North.

The white enrollment in these schools has been dropping steadily since the 1980's, and in the 2010-2011 school year, both schools will officially be minority-majority. Granted they don't face the problems seen by Proviso East/West, as they are both beautiful schools, they are "shunned" by white families.

The teacher seems racist, that's just my honest opinion. He didn't like the fact that the school was changing for what he considered the worst, and expressed his anger. He's human, and humans can be racist. They're idiots, but they're human.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,029,723 times
White enrollment means nothing as the Supreme Court has endorsed accepting students of color, or minority status, over more qualified white students.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
White enrollment means nothing as the Supreme Court has endorsed accepting students of color, or minority status, over more qualified white students.
You do realize we're talking about public high schools here without selective enrollment? If you live in the district, you can go. The issue is the reduction of white enrollment as minority enrollment increases. Parents get spooked, and pull their kids out in favor of private schools... Or move to another town all together.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
There is no racial change in Chicago's suburbs or the city.
What are you talking about? "Racial change" as discussed in this article has to do with the changing demographics of certain suburbs. Maywood and Bellwood used to have much larger white populations than they do today, but the demographics have changed due to an influx of minorities and "white flight". Thus, "racial change". It's a nicer way of saying "white flight" or "gentrification", and is frankly a more accurate description of what is occuring.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 06-03-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You do realize we're talking about public high schools here without selective enrollment? If you live in the district, you can go. The issue is the reduction of white enrollment as minority enrollment increases. Parents get spooked, and pull their kids out in favor of private schools... Or move to another town all together.
Exactly. A lot of schools see this "problem" that Proviso East/West are seeing. Maine East may have to be the worst example of northern suburban schools.

It's really sad, but I would be lying if I said even my parents didn't consider moving because the schools became less white. They're still great school, but people tend to underrate them. Maine East/West and Niles North/West have excellent teachers, but the language barrier is just a problem for many of the students. They don't do well on the standardized test which brings the overall average of the school down and then people use that as justification for not sending their children to that school.

The fact that 3/4 of them are minority-majority also doesn't role over well. Sorry if I am ranting about this haha, it just really pisses me off how people avoid certain school on the basis of race, despite the fact that they are great schools.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
What are you talking about? "Racial change" as discussed in this article has to do with the changing demographics of certain suburbs. Maywood and Bellwood used to have much larger white populations than they do today, but the demographics have changed due to an influx of minorities and "white flight". Thus, "racial change". It's a nicer way of saying "white flight" or "gentrification", and is frankly a more accurate description of what is occuring.
I'm talking about now, not 40 or 50 years ago. Cal City used to be a great place to live too...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 AM

I apologize. I currently attend a University in the city where I am a minority. I am a white male. Most of my classes are 80% black, with the rest hispanic. Maybe 1 or 2 white girls, tops. So I laugh at people who try to play the race thing in 2010, especially when the classes that I take are such things as "Racial and Ethnic History." We all know about "Timid Bigots" and "Reluctant Liberals." Times have changed! I apologize for my misunderstanding. I haven't posted for months, I'm a little rusty. My bad.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
I apologize. I currently attend a University in the city where I am a minority. I am a white male. Most of my classes are 80% black, with the rest hispanic. Maybe 1 or 2 white girls, tops. So I laugh at people who try to play the race thing in 2010, especially when the classes that I take are such things as "Racial and Ethnic History." We all know about "Timid Bigots" and "Reluctant Liberals." Times have changed! I apologize for my misunderstanding. I haven't posted for months, I'm a little rusty. My bad.
Yeah, I know what you mean..

Although I am very happy with the number of white girls at Prairie State College, actually.. lol. It's a helluva lot more than what I see around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs