Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,407 times

Advertisements

BRU, a lot of people say that it's not the fault of the residents of impoverished, crime-ridden neighborhoods for being in the position that they are in, but I am afraid that people like you aren't looking at the big picture, or don't want to look at the big picture. The truth is, like it or not, THEY ARE AT FAULT! People on the west and south sides of the city don't have to be in the position that they're in, but obviously they must like it, because they stay in it.
They have literally an unlimited number of opportunities to succeed in life-get a good education and stay in school, get a high-paying job, live in a better area-the list goes on and on! These people are just lazy, and they will remain in the horrific position they're in if they continue to be this way. I just wish they would stop using the energy they have to come into, and tear up, the nicest neighborhoods and towns, such as the southern suburbs.
I don't know about you, but I don't feel sorry for these people not one bit!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
when anybody of any color stops ignoring escalating crime in their neighborhood and feels a huge loss on the sale of their house beats being mugged or raped. when smart people of any color figure out lousy parents chanting boys will be boys does not work for them.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM

131 posts, read 356,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness-Ann View Post
BRU, a lot of people say that it's not the fault of the residents of impoverished, crime-ridden neighborhoods for being in the position that they are in, but I am afraid that people like you aren't looking at the big picture, or don't want to look at the big picture. The truth is, like it or not, THEY ARE AT FAULT! People on the west and south sides of the city don't have to be in the position that they're in, but obviously they must like it, because they stay in it.
They have literally an unlimited number of opportunities to succeed in life-get a good education and stay in school, get a high-paying job, live in a better area-the list goes on and on! These people are just lazy, and they will remain in the horrific position they're in if they continue to be this way. I just wish they would stop using the energy they have to come into, and tear up, the nicest neighborhoods and towns, such as the southern suburbs.
I don't know about you, but I don't feel sorry for these people not one bit!
Ah yes, poor people have more opportunities than rich people and destroy working class neighborhoods for sport. How did I miss that!?! /sarcasm

Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
Ah yes, poor people have more opportunities than rich people and destroy working class neighborhoods for sport. How did I miss that!?! /sarcasm
I know that you're being sarcastic, but there is truth in your post. The poor have nothing to lose which is why so many of them don't stay poor. They take risks and go after whatever they can get, they succeed, get out of the neighborhoods their bros trashed and move on. Their kids do better. It's their grandkids who suddenly lack the testicular fortitude to do what's right and they succeed in squandering what the previous two generations created. Every 3 generations fortunes are lost and people start over. That's been discussed and documented in too many places to count. That's the opportunity of America.

As for the poor destroying working class neighborhoods, that's been well documented too. I guess you never lived in one of those neighborhoods and experienced first hand the destruction the criminal element brings in.

The poverty of the people is not the issue. Poverty does not breed crime. ATTITUDE breeds crime. Anti-social behavior breeds crime. Refusal to take personal responsibility breeds crime. Feelings of entitlement and being the "exception" because I'm (fill in the blank) black, Mexican, etc. breeds crime.

Most working class neighborhoods of Chicago and inner ring burbs that were white had l-o-w crime stats. That's why minorities have flocked to them in recent years. They are running away from their own people. They will tell you that themselves.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 AM

And all that being said, I don't think that we'll be seeing much white flight from anywhere for awhile. I read an interesting scholarly paper about baby boomers, net worth, and their property values. I'm assuming that most of the people posting here are not boomers---you're all younger,but it's interesting to read about what has happened to the financial prospects for those due to retire in 15 years or less. It's not a pretty picture. It appears that most of the boomers would have to bring cash to the table in order to sell their homes. http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...th-2009-02.pdf

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
White flight will always exist until there is nowhere else to run.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness-Ann View Post
BRU, a lot of people say that it's not the fault of the residents of impoverished, crime-ridden neighborhoods for being in the position that they are in, but I am afraid that people like you aren't looking at the big picture, or don't want to look at the big picture. The truth is, like it or not, THEY ARE AT FAULT! People on the west and south sides of the city don't have to be in the position that they're in, but obviously they must like it, because they stay in it!
I don't? I just got bashed in the grocery store thread for holding them largely accountable for their miserable overall health situation, versus the agricultural subsidies, Government and the Corporate America fast food conglomerate that some feel are truly at fault.

Unfortunately, unless you latch on to one side of the black line or the other, there's going to be a large group who won't understand where you're coming from. What if the problem has multiple sides? Bah! It couldn't.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don't? I just got bashed in the grocery store thread for holding them largely accountable for their miserable overall health situation, versus the agricultural subsidies, Government and the Corporate America fast food conglomerate that some feel are truly at fault.

Unfortunately, unless you latch on to one side of the black line or the other, there's going to be a large group who won't understand where you're coming from. What if the problem has multiple sides? Bah! It couldn't.
Vote for Bob Lovero on April 7th in Berwyn!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Vote for Bob Lovero on April 7th in Berwyn!
Why, is he going to address agricultural subsidies, the Government and the Corporate America fast food conglomerate? Otherwise, that one kind of came out of left field!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM

With the economy the way it is, I don't see anyone going anywhere soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs