Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM

274 posts, read 709,408 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sub-Urban Princess;7076038]

My question is...How long can you keep running before you realize that you can't ever escape living near minorities? They're going to pop up somewhere, cutting your grass, scanning your groceries or teaching your children. Perhaps "whiteflighters" should consider moving to an Eastern European country or something.

I agree. If you are white and don't like living near a different race, go back to Europe. If your black and don't like bla.. bla.. bla.. go to Africa. If your mexican and don't like bla.. go back to mexico and so on.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Urban Princess View Post
Just testing your theory.

Aside from that, I feel that many are also scurrying to Frankfort but guess what....Minorities are flocking there too. Got a couple of highly educated cronies with good jobs, healthy savings and little brown kids who just moved there. For what you ask? The school district.. Oh, and they had 20% down.

Also, "cultural integration phobes" are moving to the infamous, overly exposed, saturated South Loop but guess what? Yeah...mmm hmm.

One more for the road.....Oakbrook. Ok two....Lombard but guess who else is moving there too? *scary monster roar*
Looks like you weren't given the special quoting powers.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 AM

41 posts, read 385,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Looks like you weren't given the special quoting powers.

Yeah, saw that. I'm moving to another sub forum that does it effectively. There's no consistency around here. I'm considering the Alaskan or Arizonan threads. I'm an "e-flighter".

Another question...anyone ever thought about the fact that these "young" people moving into well established bedroom communities are forcing the "geriatric species" out by bringing in 3 or more kids who run on grass and pull up perennials, 2 suv's, urban attitudes, 2 dogs, a ferret and 3 house parties a year?

What is this called "geri flighting"? This happens too. Old people hate yuppies.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 AM

57 posts, read 160,160 times
Quote:
Resident of Flossmoor here...there are people "whiteflighting" everyday. Not sure if it's attributed to the sharp increase in foreclosures statewide or extremely exorbitant tax bills running people out but it's such a shame to see people run for the hills when minorities are merely looking for the same amenities for their families as the "flighters" once sought.

I love my community and plan to reside here until it's becomes crime ridden. I must add however, that white teens have access to more money, cars, and other illicit resources which subsequently attracts less favorable people to the community causing an increase in village visits from "riff raff" and other people with Doctorates in commiting crimes. Just sayin'....

My question is...How long can you keep running before you realize that you can't ever escape living near minorities? They're going to pop up somewhere, cutting your grass, scanning your groceries or teaching your children. Perhaps "whiteflighters" should consider moving to an Eastern European country or something.

I'm sure being a red blooded white American in Poland or Russia would provide one with instant immunity from discrimination. *straight, sardonic face*

Wasila wouldn't be a horrible option either for Joe Six Packs or Hockey Moms *shrugging shoulders*
It must be different in the different parts of H/F... Where I'm at (Old Homewood-near downtown) the older, more conservative whites were replaced by younger white familes with little kids.
New generation (which I'm included in- owned 2 houses in Homewood since '04) seems to be less sensitive to the integration. I will say that most people tried to steer us to a generic cornfield suburb when we were looking for our first house.
It's funny- I used to live in the N/W section of Downers Grove. You rarely saw a minority driving the really new, high end (Mercedes, BMW's) cars. In the H/F area- all of the high end (50K+) cars are almost exclusively driven by blacks. That goes for alot of the 600K+ houses in Flossmoor.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Interesting. I was talking a few days ago to the woman who owns the Blue Moon Cafe on 99th street in beverly. She is white, recently moved with family from Beverly to Homewood for the public schools. She was happy enough with K-8 options in Beverly but not high schools. She wants to move back to beverly when kids are out of school but had very positive things to say about homewood. I also know quite a few U of C professors who live down there. None has mentioned to me that they were planning to move.

Still, the U of C used to steer a lot of new faculty who wanted a more suburban lifestyle to H-F. That trend seems to have slowed somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty40 View Post
It must be different in the different parts of H/F... Where I'm at (Old Homewood-near downtown) the older, more conservative whites were replaced by younger white familes with little kids.
New generation (which I'm included in- owned 2 houses in Homewood since '04) seems to be less sensitive to the integration. I will say that most people tried to steer us to a generic cornfield suburb when we were looking for our first house.
It's funny- I used to live in the N/W section of Downers Grove. You rarely saw a minority driving the really new, high end (Mercedes, BMW's) cars. In the H/F area- all of the high end (50K+) cars are almost exclusively driven by blacks. That goes for alot of the 600K+ houses in Flossmoor.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,038 times
I went to H-F in the 80's, and I recently drove thru Homewood, Glenwood, and Flossmoor. It still seems like the nice area it was back in the 80's. I know places like Dolton & Calumet City have slid down, bu the H-F area still seems very nice. So, there's a some minorties, so what? It seems like the H-F area is still kept up, it didn't seem crime ridden at all, and the schools are still good. What does it matter if the people there are white, black, Asian, or Hispanic?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM

41 posts, read 385,652 times
Scotty...no disrespect but what does the kind of car driven by blacks/whites have to do with "white flighting"?

Should we be alarmed if minorities drive cars over 50k or are you just "hating" on them. (my new word, lol)

I don't get it...help me out.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM

57 posts, read 160,160 times
Quote:
Scotty...no disrespect but what does the kind of car driven by blacks/whites have to do with "white flighting"?

Should we be alarmed if minorities drive cars over 50k or are you just "hating" on them. (my new word, lol)

I don't get it...help me out.
Yikes- I think you misunderstood me -not hating on anyone... Earlier in this thread- I made a point that although there is a changing demographic (to what extent is arguable)- there is no "Wealth Flight" in HF. The presense of black wealth in this particular area in the south suburbs is quite striking and I think it bodes well for the entire area. In fact- check out higley1000.com... Flossmoor is listed #4 on the top 25 wealthiest black neighborhoods in the country.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
First we've got people are standing on the corner counting minorities and now we've got drug dealers hidden in the bushes Tough weekend for the inner-ring! Actually, most street dealers do want to make it somewhat obvious. Customers, you know. We sometimes forget they are businessmen. Socially destructive businessmen who should be eliminated but businessmen just the same. Problem for them in Oak Lawn is that the neighbors would call the cops, so you don't see them dealing in the streets there.
BRU67 either does not read well or does not comprehend what he is reading. I told my story of standing outside of a civic organization on 16th st., just east of Oak Park avenue this winter in Berwyn. I was talking to a few friends at about 8 p.m.-not on the corner- and not counting minorities. As we were speaking, I was facing 16th street and noticed virtually every car driving past me appeared to be an Hispanic family or individual- and it just blew my mind. No, I did not count the cars- but yes I did feel as though I was no longer in America- but in Mexico City.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

111 posts, read 381,388 times
Quote:
I was facing 16th street and noticed virtually every car driving past me appeared to be an Hispanic family or individual- and it just blew my mind. No, I did not count the cars- but yes I did feel as though I was no longer in America- but in Mexico City.
Foreigners in Berwyn--shocking. About 35 years ago, I'd accompany my mom on weekly trips to a savings and loan on 22nd street in Berwyn to deposit my dad's paycheck and withdraw money for the week. I'd say that 50% of the customers were speaking in a foreign language-----although back then, it wasn't Spanish, it was Czech. And of those who were speaking English, a lot (including my Irish-born mother) spoke it with a noticeable accent.

I suppose that some people might feel that they were in a foreign country because of this. For me--the child of immigrants--it felt like America. Hard-working people, from all over the world, coming here and putting money away for a better life for their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs