Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You mean in a "deliberate attempt at suicide" sort of way and not in a "I have no idea why I'm actually going hunting but all the neighbors seem to be in to it" sort of way I presume
I suppose moving or divorce would be easier than suicide... But I would be miserable.

I've actually gone hunting more than once before and have killed a living creature with a firearm. Not my thing. It's safe to say I'll never do it again unless my survival depends on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Mamama does a better job than I could describing the social groups/activities in neighboring towns, especially Crete. I concur that the Crete Women's Club is active and worth checking into. I suspect Mamama probably knew my grandmother when she was a part of it.

I am not a member of the Woman's Club, but a friend who owns the local grocery store is and I regularly attend events as her guest. Great group of people. Maybe she knows your grandmother??

Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Default I thought this thread was worth reviving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemmeBarbara View Post

So basically, I will be considered a freak in Monee. I move too fast, wear black too much, multi-task beyond belief and still believe in community. Where/what/how can I go/create/nurture to keep my creative juices flowing? I want to make treasured relationships with people, but am afraid I will be judged. It would be a bad foot to start out a new marriage on if I am miserable.
Ideas please? Pretty please?
Monee resident here. I'm as fast moving as you'd expect someone from the southern end of the third largest metropolitan area in the country to be. And yeah, I wear black almost every day, at work and outside of work. Monee is a far south suburb and just because a person lives here it's not the whole world.The vast majority of my relationships are with people who don't live in this town. Especially because I'm a southern Cook County transplant - but then again, so are a lot of Monee residents.

Creative juices? Try Barnes and Noble down in Bourbenais or up in Orland Park. I have a tendency to push 80 MPH on I-57 and I-80 so both Barnes And Noble locations are about a half hour drive for me. If you drive slower on the expressway, you'll prabobly get to the Barnes and Noble in Bourbenais a little bit quicker. Unfortunately, the nearby Borders in Matteson isn't there anymore. Maybe the Starbucks in Matteson or Caribou Coffee in Homewood. You can always sit down in a nice place at Monee Resovour with nature or pull over to the side of the road in unincorporated Will County and see a night sky that isn't the best but a hell of a lot better than Cook County. Maybe you can sit down at Fireman Park on Court Street in Monee and write - I've done that before.

And as for the other poster who said Monee was a farm town. You're way late. There are cornfields but you'd be hard pressed to find farmers living here..

Last edited by urza216; 09-23-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
The fact that Metra is fairly close by and accessible will be a Godsend for you for those times that you simply need that big city fix. Other than that, I like the posts from everyone else on the thread.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The fact that Metra is fairly close by and accessible will be a Godsend for you for those times that you simply need that big city fix. Other than that, I like the posts from everyone else on the thread.
Metra is closeby but not close enough. When I didn't have a car, it was ridiculous to have to ride my bicycle to the University Park train station. This is why I'm looking forward to living in downtown Homewood - where I can walk to the Metra station and walk to local shops. And just being all around closer to everything. I'm definitely gonna miss this house though.

Last edited by urza216; 09-23-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Oh nice, Homewood. Should be great to be within walking distance of the Metra. It is cool that the Amtrak trains stop there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Metra is closeby but not close enough. When I didn't have a car, it was hellish to ride bicycle there. This is why I'm looking forward to living downtown Homewood - where I can walk to the Metra station and walk to local shops. I'm definitely gonna miss this house though.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Monee is not that far out in the sticks.
You have a major interstate that will carry you to the third largest city in america. In 45 mins to an hour.

you would be on the fringes of a massive metropolitan area with many things to do and see.

your post makes it sound as if monee is in rural alabama or kentucky.

Its a very short drive to major population centers in orland park and points in nwest indiana.

monee anymore seems like a bedroom community for commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs