U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,941 times
Lightbulb Single mom moving to Matteson? Is it safe?

Hi, Im a single mother who is looking to buy a home. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any good areas of Matteson? I've heard that north of Rt. 30 is ok. What about the area around Lincoln Mall?

And what about the school system there? How is the area's violence? I originally thought Matteson wasn't that bad but after doing a little research, I'm starting to re-think that. Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,631,860 times
What do you mean by good? Seriously, that's what this thread will come down to. Name a suburb, where you are living now, that you think is good and then using your scale i will be able to tell you if it is good. Is it Orland Park, heck no! but is it harvey, heck no! matteson has good, new areas and old, bad ones. pretty much east of governor's highway isn't good (because the towns get progressively worse in that direction (park forest, chicago heights, and then ford heights) plus the houses (the people in them) north of the auto mall aren't very good.

what you were told about rt. 30 probably refers to the new homes built right next to Frankfort. They are big and expensive but i'm not sold on the quality of people just yet. those homes are pretty much all new, time will tell what caliber of people live in them.

i think matteson's school system has progressively gotten worse and will continue to do so. there's a domino effect happening in the south burbs and has been for decades. lots of people jump ship and move to the next suburb over. matteson is pretty much the last one of the cook county burbs on rt. 30 to experience its' town being filled with newcomers from towns like chicago, east hazel crest, dolton, chicago heights, park forest, etc. i'm not convinced matteson is a good town in my book. but it is a good town when you compare it to the rest of the hellish southern suburbs in cook county.

as Mamama pointed out below, i would move to Tinley Park before Matteson, it's a better town all the way around. But I would move to Matteson before Park Forest or Chicago Heights. I'll do a safety scale from 1 to 10. With Orland Park being a 10 (for Safety) and Ford Heights being a 1 (for Safety), then I would put Chicago Heights as a 3. Harvey as a 2. Tinley Park as an 8. i would put matteson as a strong 5 or weak 6. I think the crime rates, on citydata.com, would back up my rankings. In fact, I know they will.

Check them out for yourself. Matteson may be growing but that's because residents of lesser communities, such as the ones that I mentioned above, are moving in. The calbier of people is evidenced by its' crime statistics. Murders, Robberies, Assaults, Rapes, etc. are all up. That tells the tale of the tape. Again, though, you can do much worse than Matteson if you were to pick a southern suburb.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 01-26-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM

2,522 posts, read 2,616,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
What do you mean by good? Seriously, that's what this thread will come down to. Name a suburb, where you are living now, that you think is good and then using your scale i will be able to tell you if it is good. Is it Orland Park, heck no! but is it harvey, heck no! matteson has good, new areas and old, bad ones. pretty much east of governor's highway isn't good (because the towns get progressively worse in that direction (park forest, chicago heights, and then ford heights) plus the houses (the people in them) north of the auto mall aren't very good.

what you were told about rt. 30 probably refers to the new homes built right next to Frankfort. They are big and expensive but i'm not sold on the quality of people just yet. those homes are pretty much all new, time will tell what caliber of people live in them.

And Matteson is adjacent to Frankfort, Tinley Park and Olympia Fields, as well, all of which are perfectly fine communities.
Matteson is a racially diverse suburb, I know high school students attend in the Rich School system. My favorite area is in town, smaller homes with lots of character.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
And Matteson is adjacent to Frankfort, Tinley Park and Olympia Fields, as well, all of which are perfectly fine communities.
Matteson is a racially diverse suburb, I know high school students attend in the Rich School system. My favorite area is in town, smaller homes with lots of character.
Yes, but which way does the population flow? it certainly does NOT flow from Frankfort to Matteson. It flows east to west, from park forest to matteson, etc. it is called white flight and not "whites move in." Matteson is currently a diverse suburb that has been experiencing white flight. the only suburbs that are diverse, in the southern burbs, are pretty much the ones that were once white and are now in the process of turning into a black majority. Matteson is one of these towns but in my opinoin it has already been turned into a black majority, and probably did so roughly 8+ years ago.

so is matteson safe? when i think of children and their innocence, i would say no. when i think of an adult and their phsyical safety, i would say yes.

matteson has crimes, drugs, and gangs surrounding it and every now and then it creeps into their city. for example. i remember a man being shot and killed while walking out of the bocce's on rt. 30 next to red lobster. every year there will be 3-5, maybe more, homicides in matteson. but are they random acts of violence or are they drug and gang related?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,616,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Yes, but which way does the population flow? it certainly does NOT flow from Frankfort to Matteson. It flows east to west, from park forest to matteson, etc. it is called white flight and not "whites move in." Matteson is currently a diverse suburb that has been experiencing white flight. the only suburbs that are diverse, in the southern burbs, are pretty much the ones that were once white and are now in the process of turning into a black majority. Matteson is one of these towns but in my opinoin it has already been turned into a black majority, and probably did so roughly 8+ years ago.

so is matteson safe? when i think of children and their innocence, i would say no. when i think of an adult and their phsyical safety, i would say yes.

matteson has crimes, drugs, and gangs surrounding it and every now and then it creeps into their city. for example. i remember a man being shot and killed while walking out of the bocce's on rt. 30 next to red lobster. every year there will be 3-5, maybe more, homicides in matteson. but are they random acts of violence or are they drug and gang related?

A couple we know reside in the old section and as longtime residents, they are very pro-Matteson. They do not have any school-age children, but have expressed they believe their neighborhood is very safe.
There has been much uncontrolled growth in the area and I think that has contributed to the increase in crime.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
A couple we know reside in the old section and as longtime residents, they are very pro-Matteson. They do not have any school-age children, but have expressed they believe their neighborhood is very safe.
There has been much uncontrolled growth in the area and I think that has contributed to the increase in crime.
that's probably the case. i know they have active neighborhood watch communities in the neighborhood east of governor's highway right around 217th st. because i have friends who live over there. I just wonder about the youth...which would mean i would have concerns for school age children. Especially, if they are impressionable.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 PM

125 posts, read 241,039 times
Matteson is working to clean up its act. Lincoln Mall used to get a bad rap but its getting much better with the new Target and JCPenney and soon new WalMart. Old Matteson is still nice and very safe in my opinion and there have been many new houses north of RT 30, and even west toward Frankfort. I resent the remarks about Park Forest. Park Forest is a struggling community with affordable housing and has some great attributes. The park system is spectacular and allows for biking, jogging, swimming and other activities. It connects the west with the east with the beginning of the Old Plank trail, and it is probably one of the most racially diverse communities in Illinois. All the schools in the south suburbs are struggling but the RICH township has just remodeled the 3 high schools. It's also a great place to take in the arts The Illinois Theatre Center and Tall Grass Arts Studio are well renowned. The Centre has been struggling for many years and may finally be gaining ground with the new homes that have been built on South Orchard, the townhomes are a wonderful starter homes. I even know people that have lived in them for 20 years. Some are roomier than my three bedroom home.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM

606 posts, read 815,203 times
I live in Old Matteson and love it. It feels very safe to me...I have no qualms about walking home from a friend's house in the evening. I grew up in Park Forest; that town has changed. The area of Matteson north of Route 30 and east of Cicero is where I wouldn't live. Those apartment buildings seem to have lots of action and high turnover of residents.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM

125 posts, read 241,039 times
I can't picture the apartment buildings you are talking about, Seastar311. I was talking about the new homes east off of Cicero and the neighborhood near the library. I also think there is a nice area west off of Governors Highway behind St. Lawrence O'toole. - I don't understand those who think Tinley Park and Orland are any better. Yes both are nice but the area has gotten so built up you can't get 1 mile down LaGRange or Harlem aduring any of the peak driving times in less than 15 minutes. And the schools are getting so crowded - children have become numbers instead of students and are getting lost in the system. Not to say that both communities have had their own share of crime.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM

355 posts, read 349,286 times
Anytime you move in with anyone's son, there's bound to be issues. You should stay away from momma's boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs