U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM

31 posts, read 30,315 times

Advertisements

I知 hoping to buy a single family house sometime soon. I currently live in Chicago so I知 used to having easy walkable access to public transportation to get me to work everyday. I知 considering the following suburbs which have Metra stations either in them or nearby. I don稚 want to limit myself to having to be within walking distances of the station. While that would be nice, my budget is low so that really limits my choices.

So with all of that said can anyone tell me the parking situation at any of these stations? I have heard that some stations have long waiting lists to be able to park at the lot. I would arrive at the lot M-F between 8am-8:30. Are they full already by that time? Do I need some sort of permit? Can I park on the residential streets if the lots are full?

Oak Lawn
Berwyn
River Grove
Elmwood Park
Des Plaines
Franklin Park
Schiller Park
Chicago Ridge
Beverly

Anyone have any input on those stations? I've looked at the Metra site and all it really says is which stations do and do not have parking and not much more info than that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 PM

5,564 posts, read 10,603,368 times
Berwyn; 5 years ago was run by the City. There is a phone number to call and I'd bet you can find that on the city's website; tags are sold at 3 mo or yearly intervals. When I lived there it was $55/qtr and I think the yearly tag came with a hefty discount over quarterly rates. I found taking the train from here fairly easy. The tag covers the entire track-side between Ridgeland and Harlem first come first served. For sometime I did pay to park in the lot next to the cleaner's on the north side of the tracks. It was a bit more pricey and may not be available any longer. At the time if I got to the station for a 9:10am train there is still parking but you will have a bit longer walk than 7:30am.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,804,480 times
I live right next to one of the five beverly stops. Even though they added more parking recently the lots seem to fill up pretty early (yes you have to pay). There is ample parking on the residential side streets, though. People park in front of my house sometimes. It doesn't bother me a bit -- the more life on the streets the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleeM13 View Post
I知 hoping to buy a single family house sometime soon. I currently live in Chicago so I知 used to having easy walkable access to public transportation to get me to work everyday. I知 considering the following suburbs which have Metra stations either in them or nearby. I don稚 want to limit myself to having to be within walking distances of the station. While that would be nice, my budget is low so that really limits my choices.

So with all of that said can anyone tell me the parking situation at any of these stations? I have heard that some stations have long waiting lists to be able to park at the lot. I would arrive at the lot M-F between 8am-8:30. Are they full already by that time? Do I need some sort of permit? Can I park on the residential streets if the lots are full?

Oak Lawn
Berwyn
River Grove
Elmwood Park
Des Plaines
Franklin Park
Schiller Park
Chicago Ridge
Beverly

Anyone have any input on those stations? I've looked at the Metra site and all it really says is which stations do and do not have parking and not much more info than that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs