U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,846,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I grew up there in the late 60's, early 70's. Anyone live there now, what's it like?
Middle class African American with moderate crime, some redevelopment going on near the new Super Wal Mart on 167th, same ol' sided tri-level homes fill the town that have for the past 40 years, weed filled parks, old playground equipment from the 1970s, old schools that also haven't been updated since the 1970s, same crappy roads from the 1970s that in many cases haven't been repaved since the 70s and are crumbling to pieces, need I go on? As usual, once the white folk leave, government convieniently forgets about the area completely and all updating or repairs to government owned stuff (Schools, city hall, libraries, police stations, parks, etc.) grind to a hault leaving the area stuck in some sort of time warp. Country Club Hills is no exception to this nor is it unique to this scenario either.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,503,533 times
Post Hrmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Middle class African American with moderate crime, some redevelopment going on near the new Super Wal Mart on 167th, same ol' sided tri-level homes fill the town that have for the past 40 years, weed filled parks, old playground equipment from the 1970s, old schools that also haven't been updated since the 1970s, same crappy roads from the 1970s that in many cases haven't been repaved since the 70s and are crumbling to pieces, need I go on? As usual, once the white folk leave, government convieniently forgets about the area completely and all updating or repairs to government owned stuff (Schools, city hall, libraries, police stations, parks, etc.) grind to a hault leaving the area stuck in some sort of time warp. Country Club Hills is no exception to this nor is it unique to this scenario either.
People who think like this are the reason why places like CCH, Hazel Crest, and some other changing communities never grow again. People give up.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
There are plenty of ordinary towns that aren't Winnetka that don't have shootings. They may have budget issues, but they don't need to quadruple property taxes in one year. They have business districts that aren't half empty.

And you said you don't shop at that Wal-Mart. Does that mean you shop at another one? Why not support your community by keeping your tax dollars in town?
Simply because I do not like that Walmart. I avoid it at all costs. It's always too crowded, understocked, and just annoying .

However, I do keep my business in town, seeing as there is a thriving area known as Heritage Plaza, the area on 167th near the Walmart, and plenty other small businesses I'm sure most people overlook.

Last edited by deechee; 06-18-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: formatting, spelling errors

Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 AM

860 posts, read 2,459,525 times
Quote:
As usual, once the white folk leave, government convieniently forgets about the area completely and all updating or repairs to government owned stuff (Schools, city hall, libraries, police stations, parks, etc.) grind to a hault leaving the area stuck in some sort of time warp.
The blame also has to be spread to the black residents who sit back and let these things happen. White people don't have special magical powers that make their towns nice. They get, and stay, involved in maintaining and bettering their communities. They get involved in the local government. They do their best to keep out or limit public housing. Black homeowners have the same resources that white homeowners do. Owning a home involves more than just paying your mortgage and mowing your lawn. Of course, it must be said, this doesn't apply to ALL black people.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,846,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
People who think like this are the reason why places like CCH, Hazel Crest, and some other changing communities never grow again. People give up.
Well you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and lets see which one fills up first.

Sorry, but the African American communities on the southside are VERY out of date when it comes to government facilities. Like not even close to neighboring towns such as Tinley Park, Frankfort, Orland Park, Palos Park, need I go on? And what do all those towns have? Oh ya, lots of white folks and those towns seem to mysteriously get LOTS of state tax dollars for nice little projects such as the completely redone Carl Sandburg High School or Andrew or the posh new Lincoln Way North, or the beautiful Central Middle School, or Orland Jr. High. or the Orland Park Public Library that is nearly as large as the Chicago Public Library downtown... Hmmmm howcome the schools in the African American communites are still the same schools (in many cases without A/C) our grandparents went to? Hmmmm? Why do you suppose that is? Oh ya and I'm white too FYI so I'm not crying disenfranchisedment or any of that crap.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Thumbs down Snazzlepops

Quote:
Well you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and lets see which one fills up first.

Sorry, but the African American communities on the southside are VERY out of date when it comes to government facilities. Like not even close to neighboring towns such as Tinley Park, Frankfort, Orland Park, Palos Park, need I go on? And what do all those towns have? Oh ya, lots of white folks and those towns seem to mysteriously get LOTS of state tax dollars for nice little projects such as the completely redone Carl Sandburg High School or Andrew or the posh new Lincoln Way North, or the beautiful Central Middle School, or Orland Jr. High. or the Orland Park Public Library that is nearly as large as the Chicago Public Library downtown... Hmmmm howcome the schools in the African American communites are still the same schools (in many cases without A/C) our grandparents went to? Hmmmm? Why do you suppose that is? Oh ya and I'm white too FYI so I'm not crying disenfranchisedment or any of that crap.
Too? Who said I was white?

I don't understand how you can generalize my entire race. I see now why people don't trust my fellow colored people, especially our women because of perceptions like this. I just cannot believe it. I'm not going to deny that there are many people who conduct business the way you have described in the above quote, but they are usually in the minority, and they are not the entire city of Country Club Hills. I wonder why the remaing 20 odd percent of whites and other ethnicities have not left this city?

Last edited by deechee; 06-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,207,877 times
Deechee: Did we read the same post? NYrules is claiming that white neighborhoods are nicer in part because they get preferential treatment from the state government. He didn't make any generalizations about blacks, and he didn't imply that you are white.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Unhappy Thanks for the clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Deechee: Did we read the same post? NYrules is claiming that white neighborhoods are nicer in part because they get preferential treatment from the state government. He didn't make any generalizations about blacks, and he didn't imply that you are white.
Sorry, yes I believe we read the same post. Maybe I'm just a bit upset to see so many people that don't see CCH as a desirable community that I just lashed out. I am feeling kinda disappointed that I believe so much in a place that no one really seems to care about.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,207,877 times
I live in the very racially mixed part of beverly (east of longwood). I'm too busy making sure that it keeps heading in the right direction (in terms of racial balance, no section 8, etc.) to think or care much about CCH. You should be getting together with the current homeowners down there who have skin in the game.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM

Smile I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I live in the very racially mixed part of beverly (east of longwood). I'm too busy making sure that it keeps heading in the right direction (in terms of racial balance, no section 8, etc.) to think or care much about CCH. You should be getting together with the current homeowners down there who have skin in the game.
I just moved here from that area. Love it lots. I do know where you're coming from. Please keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs