Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,585 times

Advertisements

I live in Glenview, in the Glen. I have tried to like Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth but I just don't get it. Why would someone want to live in a house with power lines in their backyard? We had $1.5 to spend 5 years ago and I just couldn't wrap my head around the appeal of those older houses with crappy back yards where you can almost touch your neighbor and with absolutely no privacy. I saw the houses in the Southgate portion of the Glen and knew that was right for us. I understand that some of the homes are architecturally "important" in some north shore towns but certainly not all of those homes are. Where I live the people are friendly and extremely social (if you want that) and there are a million kids (again I happen to like that since I have kids). We have SIDEWALKS which encourage socializing. So, why would a family choose Wilmette/Kenilworth etc. over say, Glenview, Deerfield, or Northbrook. Is it so you can say, "Oh, I live here or there east of Greenbay Road?" and impress your co-workers? Schools in Glenview and Northbrook are excellent also. The test scores are not as good as New Trier, but they are still really, really good schools. Please explain. Maybe I just don't appreciate classic architecture. Also, for those of you that live in those "A" suburbs, what is the general impression of the Glen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,135,174 times
To each his own...that's what makes a market

Agree....old houses on tiny lots are mockable (at any price)

But most people operate w/various financial and social constraints

New Trier schools are prob best public schools in Chic area...in terms of what % of kids enter top 5 colleges...gotta get a high-pay job eventually, right?

"Sidewalk" culture isn't really compatible w/areas where houses are on >1 acre lots

Always amused by how allegedly affluent people buy (and live in) used houses w/stench of prior occupant....and/or old houses w/o latest HVAC, wiring, insulation, amenities, etc....cars depreciate; logically, used houses should depreciate down to land value

If have ample resources, would opt to build a bespoke, new house on either 2+ acre lot on Winnetka lakefront or 2+ acres in eastern LakeForest....but most lack such resources and choose among various trade-offs

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM

939 posts, read 2,368,562 times
I live on a tiny lot. As I sit here typing I can see power lines in my backyard and if I stretch my hand far enough, I can touch my neighbor's house (when I don't want to touch my neighbor, I go to my house in WI). However, this morning I walked to get coffee and to the beach. I can walk just about anywhere. I can hop on my bike and be on the Green Bay Trail in a couple of minutes. I can go north or south on the trail and be in any number of charming downtowns. I like the architecture of older homes, big old tree lined streets, less traffic. People are friendly here too. I don't get your concern about sidewalks. In most parts of the North Shore there are sidewalks and people actually use them.

To be honest, I've never given the Glen much thought either way. I think it's a nice place with nice homes, and that they did a good job of making it appealing. I wouldn't live there simply because I like the beauty of the North Shore, being close to Lake Michigan, and close to Metra. I would consistently choose any of the towns from Evanston up through Lake Bluff over the towns you mentioned. If I didn't care about the Lake, I'd probably look at living in LaGrange, Hinsdale, Glen Elyn, or Western Springs because they seem similar in appearance to the towns on the North Shore.

If I'd wanted a bigger home, I'd have moved somewhere else. Having a large home holds no appeal for me, just like having a power line in your backyard is not appealing to you. I don't even notice the power lines. Different strokes and all that.

I'm glad you made the right choice for you!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,258,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD1996 View Post
I live in Glenview, in the Glen. I have tried to like Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth but I just don't get it. Why would someone want to live in a house with power lines in their backyard? We had $1.5 to spend 5 years ago and I just couldn't wrap my head around the appeal of those older houses with crappy back yards where you can almost touch your neighbor and with absolutely no privacy. I saw the houses in the Southgate portion of the Glen and knew that was right for us. I understand that some of the homes are architecturally "important" in some north shore towns but certainly not all of those homes are. Where I live the people are friendly and extremely social (if you want that) and there are a million kids (again I happen to like that since I have kids). We have SIDEWALKS which encourage socializing. So, why would a family choose Wilmette/Kenilworth etc. over say, Glenview, Deerfield, or Northbrook. Is it so you can say, "Oh, I live here or there east of Greenbay Road?" and impress your co-workers? Schools in Glenview and Northbrook are excellent also. The test scores are not as good as New Trier, but they are still really, really good schools. Please explain. Maybe I just don't appreciate classic architecture. Also, for those of you that live in those "A" suburbs, what is the general impression of the Glen?
so what if there are power lines in the backyard? A lot of people like the older look instead of cookie cutter houses. There are parts of Glenview with big yards and no sidewalks as well. I'm also not an advocate of large yards, it's wasteful and sprawl isn't good.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM

14,284 posts, read 14,522,716 times
It definitely must be a matter of personal preference, lots of people like to live in houses with classic looks. My dad grew up in Winnetka on Forest Ave., went to New Trier, once he met my mom, got married they lived in Evanston where I grew up.

When I go to Google and look up the address on Forest, a big modern home has replaced the house with the screened front porch, my grandparents had. They raised 7 kids in that home but I'm sure if it wasn't updated it needed to go (dad was youngest born in 1914) to give you a clue, very old. Point is the new house takes up a great deal of the lot and I don't think it looks great! The next person would say, awesome new house, nice yard, a matter of personal taste.

I've always preferred older homes, classic looks, new style houses are not my cup of tea no matter where they are located, but that is just me and my opinion, lots of people prefer new homes.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,375,151 times
My aunt and uncle lived in Kenilworth, on Park Drive, beautiful brick Georgian, their home and neighborhood are lovely.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,708,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
My aunt and uncle lived in Kenilworth, on Park Drive, beautiful brick Georgian, their home and neighborhood are lovely.

Was it Lannon stone?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM

What do people on the NS thnk of the homes in the Glen? Not much and not often. Cookie cutter subdivision homes with no mature landscaping, full of transferees and with a high rate of mortgage defaults. Its perfectly nice but pretty blaah.

If you like where you live why would you care what other people think about your community? Or be so defensive?

The NS communities are extremely family oriented and very social. Why do you think we have so many clubs? Or pour so much money into our schools?

I also dont understand your coments about ***SIDEWALKS***

If you really looked at house in Winnetka/Kenilworth/Wilmette you might have noticed that they all have sidewalks.

BTW - the Kenilworth power lines have been buried for over 20 years and Winnetka requires power line to be buried when a home is renovated.

Last edited by Anthera; 02-08-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
This thread-"I don't get it."

Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This thread-"I don't get it."
I think its:

"I moved to the Glen and nobody I work with is impressed, but they thought it was cool when some guy bought a house in Winnetka. Thats not fair. They should be impressed by me too even though I don't live on the NS, I want people to be impressed!!!! By meeeee! I have SIDEWALKS!!!

I had 1.5 Million to spend 5 years ago, but spent less on the Glen, and now my house is worth less than I paid. But that house in Kenilworth my wife liked has appreciated. So did that one in Wilmette. Thats just not fair!!

People on the NS must be snobs, because I said so --Wah! The Glen is better than the NS because ....uh...powerlines....yeah and .....our schools are almost as good, so they must really be better becasue that makes them snobs....yeah."

BTW - another difference between the areas. Most Winnetka/Kenilworth types would know to put this in "Chicago Suburbs" instead of "Illinois". I'm not saying its our superior test scores, but you never know (humor intended).

Last edited by Anthera; 02-09-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs