Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,676 times

Advertisements

There's a strong possibility that I'll be transfering from outside of Illinois to the Chicagoland area and I'm researching communities in Lake County for my family.

Any input on the city of McHenry would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 07:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
McHenry is in McHenry county. It's nice there.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 AM

That's right, McHenry County.

I'm interested in things like quality of the schools, crime, home cost estimates for a SF 4BR home, etc.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2006, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 79,782 times
Default McHenry

I have a sister who lives in McHenry...I spent my highschool years there, and go back to visit every so often..
It's still a nice area, in my opinion...
I still have contacts in the area, email me if you would like me to pass them on to you
jeanie.hanks@jgr.com

Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 PM

21 posts, read 145,616 times
well when i was 14, we used to joke that all the ugly girls lived in mchenry. its alright though. only bummer is its not close to any interstates, so its a B--- for commutes, especially along 120toward lake county. just remember its a large suburban area, so whatever your doing, there is another 327 people doing the exact same thing, raising the exact same family and living in a house right next to yours that looks exactly the same. also they will be commuting with you, sitting in traffic every morning. crystal lake is pretty popular with the yuppies, but woodstock is all mexican now, and might be too far out of your way, i think the rollar rink is still open in mchenry too. bonus.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 AM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Default The same place?

Just checking, are we all talking about the same McHenry? The place I know is a skanky little ville with a few faux-brick big boxes sprouting in the surrounding cornfields. What else can I say about it? It's remote. It's schools suck. It's a place where the Camaro is king. It's as hillbilly as Chicagoland gets.

The surronding areas aren't any better.
Woodstock -- could pass for any town in Oaxaca.
Round Lake -- there's a reason why the homes are so cheap.
Crystal Lake -- there's a lake somewhere admidst the strip malls and cul-de-sacs.
Lake in the Hills -- great if you're into vinyl siding and don't mind your kids bicycling on 70mph throughways.

Magpies

Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 AM

What about Algonquin ??

Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 PM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pccraig
What about Algonquin ??
Depends. Where to do you need to get to for work? There can be some gnarly traffic, especially near the Fox River. The old part of town is kind of quaint & Victorian but there's a constant stream of traffic. The rest of it is pretty much like Lake in the Hills.

If my McHenry tirade earlier didn't bias you, just for the record I spent a miserable year in that area and couldn't get out fast enough. There are better places to live in the Chicago area, but it all comes down to how & where you need to commute.

Magpies

Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM

My job will be bringing me near Des Plaines.

What first attracted me to Mchenry was the schools.

But Algonquin and Crystal Lake look like they have good schools as well.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:39 PM

How about Huntley ? Schools, homes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs