U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

935 posts, read 1,948,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
"North Shore" without the shore is just "North". Mr. Mappy summed it up best.

Evanston
Wilmette
Kenilworth
Winnetka
Glencoe
Highland Park
Highwood
Lake Forest

If your town is not on this list, you do not live in the "North Shore". Okay, maybe we can add Lake Bluff too.
Yes, add Lake Bluff. That's the NS.

No Northbrook, Glenview, etc. Nice north suburbs, not North Shore.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/presssite/metadata.epl?mode=synopsis&bookkey=65484 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,928,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Sorry, but most people consider Deerfield/Northbrook "north shore".
I think North Chicago and Waukegan have a better case to be part of the "North Shore" than Deerfield and Northbrook. But of course, that would destroy the supposed exclusivity.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM
SBD SBD started this thread

52 posts, read 173,802 times
Quote:
I think North Chicago and Waukegan have a better case to be part of the "North Shore" than Deerfield and Northbrook. But of course, that would destroy the supposed exclusivity.

You are absolutely right simply because a community like Waukegan has a lakefront - just like Glencoe, HP, Lake Forest etc. However, some (and I stress 'some') of the people in these communities would probably much rather associate the prestigious 'north shore' with Northbrook/Deerfield than Waukegan. Some people think this is opinion what towns are 'north shore' and others think it is fact apparently. But if one were to go simply by geography...Waukegan has as much place as any of the other lakefront communities.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:35 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,091,064 times
Quote:
North Shore magazine doesn't seem to have articles written about or geared towards North Chicago and Waukegan, but I could swear the magazines idea of North Shore would include Libertyville and extend all the way to Barrington. It's about wealth.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
A bit late but wanted to chime in. I live on the northshore. By definition of being on Lake Michigan, the list left out Braeside, Indian Hill, Hubbard Woods, Fort Sheridan, Great Lakes, and Rogers Park.
But from the perspective of the north shore "feel" I would not consider Highwood or Waukegan as possessing it. Though Waukegan does have some really nice old homes from the time when it was a prosperous and upscale town back in the day. It also has the Genesee theatre which is pretty nice.
Also, Deerfield and Northbrook don't feel quite so Northshore to me. Riverwoods, Lincolnshire and even Bannockburn are much more tony and posh. Libertyville has it's own charm and while not quite as Northshore, it is very upscale in parts. There is definitely more of suburbia feel to it, with lovely albeit uniform homes.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 4,237,732 times
Actually Braeside, Indian Hill, Hubbard Woods, Fort Sheridan, Great Lakes, Rogers Park, etc. while being stops on the Union Pacific North line (Metra), are not independent suburbs. The Braeside stop falls within Highland Park (barely), just north of the Lake County line, and north of Glencoe. Hubbard Woods is a stop in northern Winnetka. Indian Hill is a stop in southern Winnetka near New Trier HS. Fort Sheridan is a stop that according to Wikipedia is "spread among Lake Forest, Highwood, and Highland Park". I'd say that most of it falls within Highwood & Highland Park. So that also is not a separate town. Great Lakes is the stop for the naval base (Naval Station Great Lakes), but it is located within North Chicago. So it too is not a separate town. Finally, Rogers Park is an urban neighborhood in Chicago, and home to Loyola University Chicago. In fact, it is the furthest northeast neighborhood in the city of Chicago. While it is indeed on the lake, it definitely is not a North Shore suburb, since it is still part of the city.

Just thought I'd point this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoaster View Post
A bit late but wanted to chime in. I live on the northshore. By definition of being on Lake Michigan, the list left out Braeside, Indian Hill, Hubbard Woods, Fort Sheridan, Great Lakes, and Rogers Park.
But from the perspective of the north shore "feel" I would not consider Highwood or Waukegan as possessing it. Though Waukegan does have some really nice old homes from the time when it was a prosperous and upscale town back in the day. It also has the Genesee theatre which is pretty nice.
Also, Deerfield and Northbrook don't feel quite so Northshore to me. Riverwoods, Lincolnshire and even Bannockburn are much more tony and posh. Libertyville has it's own charm and while not quite as Northshore, it is very upscale in parts. There is definitely more of suburbia feel to it, with lovely albeit uniform homes.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 AM

5,059 posts, read 6,017,198 times
There is no question that North Shore has a special "feel" about it rather than just lines drawn on a map.

Nobody has any ability to nail down the North Shore. Unquestionably 8 towns make the cut with no question:

Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff

They all have the lakefront and their orientation towards it has always been quality, high price residential.

Evanston distinguishes itself from the others in the sense that it is the "city" for the North Shore. In essence, it is North Shore but without being a real suburb. Of the other towns, Highland Park shows more real diversity in price.

Highwood rarely makes the cut for similiar reasons that Waukegan and North Chicago do not. And until the Fort Sheridan decommision, Highwood did not have a lakefront. However, it would be almost impossible to deny that with its location as an enclave virtually surrounded by HP, it is on the North Shore if not of it.

Inland gets a bit dicey. Northfield has probably the best case for inland North Shore due to New Trier. Skokie is a city like neighboring Evanston (ok, I know Skokie is a village, but it functions like a city) and doesn't really give a North Shore vibe.

However, Glenview, Northbrook, and Deerfield do have North Shore attributes and are due west of the NS towns. Riverwoods and arguably Lincolnshire continue the North Shore zone of high priced real estate, but there's is a more countrified and open version of it.

If you are willing to slice up communities, then it gets even trickier. The western portion of Evanston just doesn't have a North Shore feel to it.

And take many areas of west Wilmette that are loaded with tract homes, many small and built in the 1950s and 1960s and carry their high price tags because they are part of the village of Wilmette. These areas of a true lakefront North Shore suburb are far less North Shore in feel than areas like east Glenview and the eastern portions of Northfield where the North Shore spills over from Winnetka without skipping a beat.

The best rule of the North Shore: feel free to use your own definition for there is no common one. Heck, North Shore magazine claims the whole North Shore, the rest of north suburbia, and even northwest suburbia as its own. Arguably if it increased circulation, the magazine would be willing to include Iowa as part of the North Shore. That might work since lots of North Shore high school grads go on to make Iowa City their home for 4 years.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,689,707 times
All my years growing up in Deerfield---everyone, and I mean everyone in the area, referred to Deerfield as being on the North Shore. DHS kids, we even looked down at Highland Park high school kids who had the rift raft from Highwood attending their school.

You can debate east of Ridge Road, east of Waukegan rd. or east of Milwaukee ave---I don't really care, because nothing----no one---nada----will ever convince me that Deerfield is not part of the north shore.

If your googling and come across this thread, rest assured, If you choose to move to Deerfield, IL., I certainly welcome you to the NORTH SHORE!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 PM

15 posts, read 8,717 times
Default And also rest assured

Quote:
All my years growing up in Deerfield---everyone, and I mean everyone in the area, referred to Deerfield as being on the North Shore. DHS kids, we even looked down at Highland Park high school kids who had the rift raft from Highwood attending their school.

You can debate east of Ridge Road, east of Waukegan rd. or east of Milwaukee ave---I don't really care, because nothing----no one---nada----will ever convince me that Deerfield is not part of the north shore.

If your googling and come across this thread, rest assured, If you choose to move to Deerfield, IL., I certainly welcome you to the NORTH SHORE!
That those of us residing ON the actual North Shore will roll our eyes when you refer to it that way.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,209,776 times
Quote:
Absolutely anal. I can't believe the OP was accused of misleading and chastised by some for the title of this thread. Some people have too much time on their hands. Sorry, but most people consider Deerfield/Northbrook "north shore". Maybe not the TECHNICAL crowd who love to comment every day in these forums----who spend their time reviewing maps and boundaries. AVERAGE people (i.e. not the folks who comment here every day) consider SOME towns west of those ACTUALLY on the lake front as "north shore communities" The north shore is a region---not a technical boundary.
I think that you are correct in that most people who do not live in the traditional north shore, would consider Deerfield/Northbrook to be part of the "North Shore". But if someone is relocating to Chicago and wants to live in the "North Shore". shouldn't they be given both the strict definition and the looser one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs