Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM

25 posts, read 58,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNLO View Post
I've been checking the city-data forums on Berwyn since I moved here in November 2007, and I think my experience may be helpful for other Chicago residents who are looking into the area.

Since Berwyn demographics are such a hot topic, here's my profile: I'm a 30-ish, white, married woman without kids. My husband and I both have college degrees or higher and well-paying jobs downtown.

True city lovers, we both lived in Chicago for nearly a decade - most recently in Lincoln Square then Humboldt Park - and we never ever intended to move to the suburbs. When we were ready to buy, we found that many condos were just overpriced apartments with granite counters, and we really wanted a basement (for my husband's woodshop) and a yard (for the dog). We started looking across the city for bungalows, in neighborhoods from Portage Park to McKinley Park, and literally saw dozens of homes. What we found was universal: most houses had horrible, horrible work done on them (additions, remodels, etc) that would cost so much to fix that they'd quickly move out of our price range. We kept expanding our search - always in the city - in hopes of finding something in decent shape. By the time we started looking in Jefferson Park and Beverly, we realized that the near west suburbs were much closer to downtown and would keep us on the El, rather than the Metra. So, grudgingly, we started looking in Berwyn and Oak Park. Pretty quickly, we found a beautiful bungalow in central Berwyn that had already had most of the major upgrades done. It was also about $50k less than a comparable home in Portage Park (which is a pretty similar neighborhood).

Now that I've been in Berwyn nearly three years, I think I can give a pretty fair assessment of how it compares to Chicago. First of all, Berwyn is hardly suburban. Unless you were paying close attention, you would never know that you were in anything other than a typical middle-class neighborhood in the city. Like those areas, it's diverse in every way - age, education, income, and ethnicity - which I love. The location is really fantastic; it's right between Oak Brook and downtown and within easy biking/walking distance to several well-off suburbs. I take the blue line to work every day, and it's a 45 min door-to-door commute. That's less time than it took me when I lived in Lincoln Square. The housing stock is amazing and affordable. I don't have kids so I don't know about the schools, but a coworker who lives here confirms what most on this message board say: good to very good elementary and middle schools, but the high school needs a lot of work. We've met several artists and musicians, know of many community organizations, and have pleasant neighbors. There are some great revitalization projects in the works: Berwyn Main Street on Cermak, the condo project in the Depot District, and the Berwyn/Oak Park/Cicero effort to improve Roosevelt. A few cute new businesses have opened since we moved here.

Of course, there are negatives. Despite a handful of gems, restaurant diversity is a problem. I love Mexican food, but not to the exclusion of every other nationality. I'd love to walk to cute boutiques, speciality food stores, and a dog park, which don't exist. But I'm optimistic that those will be coming with all of the multimillion dollar investment in the major commercial corridors.

As for crime, it really is relative. My view of a dangerous area is very different from those who prefer towns like Glen Ellyn. We wanted urban, and Berwyn is urban. That, unfortunately, comes with some crime. But it's nothing compared to even good neighborhoods in Chicago. Some posts on here have cited the proximity to Cicero as a negative, but it's really an excellent buffer to the truly bad neighborhoods on the west side of Chicago (something Oak Park doesn't have). I've never seen a gangbanger, I've never seen graffiti. I've never even seen a homeless person. I've never once been bothered by anybody when I've walked down the street in Berwyn.

So, if you live in the city and you've been curious about those Berwyn billboards, I would encourage you to check it out. My biggest issue is not having my Chicago address anymore, which is a small price to pay.

I'm curious. Where is Berwyn do you live? My wife and I are considering buying our first home, and we've looked at Berwyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
2008 purchase in Berwyn? Ouch.

Oak Park has somewhat of a buffer with Columbus Park but no buffer between north avenue and adams. No comparison between Oak Park and Berwyn. They are different animals.

I don't see much commercial development coming to Berwyn except for a few isolated projects. Commercial RE is dead for the next few years, especially new development, not just in Berwyn.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
2008 purchase in Berwyn? Ouch.

Oak Park has somewhat of a buffer with Columbus Park but no buffer between north avenue and adams. No comparison between Oak Park and Berwyn. They are different animals.

I don't see much commercial development coming to Berwyn except for a few isolated projects. Commercial RE is dead for the next few years, especially new development, not just in Berwyn.
Meijer just announced that it is coming to Cermak Plaza, which is a nice piece of development. Also, the Plaza itself is being completely facelifted (it really looks good compared to what it was before), the NE corner of Harlem and Cermak is being cleared for a brand new development, and the NW corner of Harlem and Cermak is getting a new CVS. There’s also new Paisan’s being built on Ogden Ave., Olive or Twist, the Restaurant, just opened in the Depot District, and a new restaurant, Autre Monde, is going in on Roosevelt Rd. next to Friendly Tap and Horribles. That should be open soon.

So I’d say there’s more than a “few isolated projects,” though definitely short of what we’d like to see. Slow economic times as you say. Hopefully, with the new streetscape on Roosevelt, we’ll see more economic development down that corridor.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Meijer just announced that it is coming to Cermak Plaza, which is a nice piece of development. Also, the Plaza itself is being completely facelifted (it really looks good compared to what it was before), the NE corner of Harlem and Cermak is being cleared for a brand new development, and the NW corner of Harlem and Cermak is getting a new CVS. There’s also new Paisan’s being built on Ogden Ave., Olive or Twist, the Restaurant, just opened in the Depot District, and a new restaurant, Autre Monde, is going in on Roosevelt Rd. next to Friendly Tap and Horribles. That should be open soon.

So I’d say there’s more than a “few isolated projects,” though definitely short of what we’d like to see. Slow economic times as you say. Hopefully, with the new streetscape on Roosevelt, we’ll see more economic development down that corridor.
But you lost the Spindle.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

829 posts, read 2,086,986 times
Nothing wrong with living in proximity to a little blight. I think most people are a little hesitant to admit that they actually prefer a bit more of an urban suburban demographic setting. Mixed income surrounding areas, racial diversity, ect. A slightly less square environment.

When areas become too suburban, they tend to get over commercialized which makes them consumer oriented, either entirely upper middle class, or largely populated with middle income heavy consumers, and overly kid oriented to the point of being a big turn off for alot of folks. You end up losing a certain quality that attracted less square people and diversity there in the first place.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-04-2011 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Nothing wrong with living in proximity to a little blight. .
Speaking of which, yes OPD, we lost the Spindle It really added character. Not sure what kind of character, exactly, but it did add character, I'll give you that.

There are rumblings of a replica going up in Plaza 2.0. While I have no problem with the Spindle, I don't see how they'd ever be able to keep it clean. It looked very crappy (pun absolutely intended) by the end. Plus, Dustin Shuler is deceased. Not sure how that would work with his estate.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default No issue with Spindle

Bru,

I thought the Spindless, while crappy, was kinda cool.

What I don't think is cool is the decaying North Riverside Mall and its influence on surrounding areas.

I hope Roosevelt gets better but I think it will be awhile even when the streets are complete. I actually prefer Berwyn south of Cermak, especially close to the train station.

They are also putting in a Meijer in Melrose Park in Winston Plaza, which is further along. It will still be a fairly crappy area but at least I will have somewhere to buy groceries after going to that Bally's, though I seldom go there anymore as I generally prefer XSport.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
I'm looking forward to the Roosevelt road remodel. Especially it's effect on the North end of Berwyn.
Huh? What's happening with Rosevelt Road? Will someone mind filling a far south suburbanite in? I will be on Rosevelt Road with a friend of mine at this absolutely amazing place in Berwyn tomorrow. There's nothing in Oak Park that would get me to drive an hour out there but there is in Berwyn. I like how it's kinda "city" looking but I can still park in the CVS parking lot across the street without getting towed.

Whenever I hear or even read Berwyn, I can't help but think of it being said in Svengoulies voice. lol. Berwyyyynnn.

Last edited by urza216; 02-04-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Bru,

I thought the Spindless, while crappy, was kinda cool.

What I don't think is cool is the decaying North Riverside Mall and its influence on surrounding areas.

I hope Roosevelt gets better but I think it will be awhile even when the streets are complete. I actually prefer Berwyn south of Cermak, especially close to the train station.

They are also putting in a Meijer in Melrose Park in Winston Plaza, which is further along. It will still be a fairly crappy area but at least I will have somewhere to buy groceries after going to that Bally's, though I seldom go there anymore as I generally prefer XSport.
Don't disagree with any of these points but the first one I also think Roos will do pretty well. Once the streetscape is done, it'll be more pleasant to drive and (importantly) walk along. I foresee that area exploding. I have no crystal ball, of course, but that's what my gut tells me.

The Mall is out of our hands. Private property, different town. Don't know if I'd use the word decaying (to the contrary, business seems to be booming) but it definitely chose at some point over the years to cater to a certain group, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. Though honestly, it's not really all that bad. I prefer the Oak Brook Mall, but I'm not intimidated by the NPRM, and there's some good stores there.

Fortunately, the Plaza's revitalization really looks good, and with the new CVS, Meijer, and development across the street, should make that formerly dismal looking corner look really sharp. Maybe that'll attract a more diverse group of shoppers to the Mall.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Huh? What's happening with Rosevelt Road? Will someone mind filling a far south suburbanite in? I will be on Rosevelt Road with a friend of mine at this absolutely amazing place in Berwyn tomorrow. There's nothing in Oak Park that would get me to drive an hour out there but there is in Berwyn. I like how it's kinda "city" looking but I can still park in a CVS parking lot across the street without getting toed.

Whenever I hear or even read Berwyn, I can't help but think of it being said in Svengoulies voice. lol. Berwyyyynnn.
Link to the improvements...

Roosevelt Road Streetscape Improvement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs