U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM

44 posts, read 64,650 times
Default Burr Ridge

Can someone tell me what Burr Ridge is like? We're looking at a condo there, and I wanted to get the general vibe of the area from you folks. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM

21,441 posts, read 34,577,630 times
"Vibe"? It has none. Very much the kind of town that causes city planning / architect types to weep/wail/gnash their teeth.

If the condo is in the new "mixed use" area with shopping, dining, fitness club it has no "track record" -- you are taking a HUGE gamble on things "going your way".

In general Burr Ridge is one of those "there's no place there" places. No train station /real town center. No 'magnet' of shopping or sports or nature or anything to "pull" people in.

Good points? Commute to Midway Airport is easy, and it works OK for driving to areas of Chicago from the South Loop to IIT. Some nicer offices and even nice newer food processing / light assembly /warehouse type business parks.

Schools are split over several districts, none particurlarly bad, but overall lacking in sense of "cohesiveness". Some sections are served by the very god Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills elementary district and Hinsdale Central HS. Kids have opportunities for parks and such, but the very large lots, low density, generally older families are nt traditionally "kid friendly".

Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 AM

88 posts, read 207,877 times
It is a lovely town and very upscale.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM

21,441 posts, read 34,577,630 times
Default On what basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie View Post
It is a lovely town and very upscale.
OP is looking at condo. Each and every regular retail store at the new Burr Ridge development is REPLICATED at 99% of malls in the country. Same old same old. I do not see that as "upscale" at all. Given that Orland Square & Oakbrook Center have the same retail options I think that is a huge gamble. (Anyone remember Old Chicago Mall & Amusment Park in Bolingbrook -- same fear. Just 'cause it worked in Minnesota does NOT mean it'll work in suburban Chicago...)

There are a fair number of larger single family in BR, and many are of the garishly large / over down type. Again not "very upscale" -- especially when the same size / style home have grown increasingly common in neighboring towns to every direction.

BR lacks many of the things that other pricey towns near it has. While a portion of BR is in 181, it is pretty clear that this is a very different situation from Hinsdale, where basically ALL homes in the incorporated limits are part of ONE district.

Unlike Oak Brook that has a well programmed Park District and Village Sports Core with many facilities priced reasonably for residents, Burr Ridge has several rather pricey "for profit" facilities.

When you looks to other areas that have an "upscale vibe" there is nothing distinct about BR the way there is about towns that border Lake Michigan on the North Shore, or even "horsey towns" like Wayne or parts of western Lake Co.

Again, good commute for some folks but hard to say there is any thing to give credence to "very upscale", and given the range of housing even hard to call "lovely".

Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM

2,522 posts, read 2,685,994 times
Burr Ridge immediately brings to mind cookie cutter break homes on postage stamp size lots. Expensive, maybe, upscale, probably not.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,674,347 times
Wow, Burr Ridge must have many different sections because the part that I have to drive through frequently has massive homes on hills and acre-sized lots. I've always thought that it lacked any kind of cohesion or obvious community but some of the homes and lots are really impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Burr Ridge immediately brings to mind cookie cutter break homes on postage stamp size lots. Expensive, maybe, upscale, probably not.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,528,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Wow, Burr Ridge must have many different sections because the part that I have to drive through frequently has massive homes on hills and acre-sized lots. I've always thought that it lacked any kind of cohesion or obvious community but some of the homes and lots are really impressive.
Good observation. Wherever that other poster saw postage stamp size lots, it doesn't apply to the vast majority of Burr Ridge. There are a handful of old, relatively small 50's ranch homes left here and there, but they are all on good size lots. Just a very small percentage of the new homes are on relatively small lots. My boss has a two million dollar home there with no real yard to speak of. Burr Ridge is expensive, and in some respects exclusive, just because most people can't afford to live there, but everyone is correct in saying that there just isn't a real community there. It is quiet and very pleasant though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs