Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times

Advertisements

Orland Park on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon! As soon as you enter the town, you quickly would realize if you were on some sort of a planning commision that Orland Park is the poster child of "Don't let this happen to you!" Stores line both sides of all the roads, boasting some of the best shopping in the entire Chicagoland area, yet trying to get around the town proves to be a challenge. Mass transit is basically non-existant, stores are too far apart to walk to and the roads purley date back to the late 60s and early 70s at best, turn lanes are too short usually forcing traffic that is turning to overflow out into through lanes making just trying to get through a single signal nearly impossible without having to jut into other lanes to go around people that (and this is the BIGGEST aggravation in Orland) have absolutely NO idea what they are doing behind the wheel and have no business driving in heavy traffic. Right hand turn lanes for the most part are non-existant, and newly installed red light cameras are making everyone into nervous Nellies at intersections. Yes getting around this berg is purely misery/torture at it's best. Too much traffic, too many people, no freeways, outdated dangerous pothole filled roads, crumbling weed filled medians, yes its wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
This is a great thread. I love those places in their own little world! All those places listed are the places I'm aiming to live in. Unfortunately right now, I'm living in a suburb that is on the opposite list

I do agree that Schaumburg and Orland Park are not really part of this group.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Honestly though, I think Crsytal Lake is a bit in its own little world. More so than the ones the OP listed.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
After a drive to check out Fort Sheridan, I would say, it qualifies. Technically, it's part Highwood, part Highland Park.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Agreed (Schaumburg???)- The OP left out so many, it's overwhelming. Here are some more:

Wheaton (of course- and we, the residents, are accused all of the time of being in "our own little world"!)- and a beautiful campus of Wheaton College and great vibe in the downtown. Who can forget the historical "popcorn shop" full of happy children (and adults) picking their candy in a 4 ft. wide store? Still in the guiness book, to date.

Glen Ellyn
Downers Grove
Lisle
Hinsdale
La Grange
Western Springs
Claredon Hills

And so many more I am probably forgetting that would fit the original "in there own little world" criteria, compared to the ones the OP listed.
you're right. i wasn't very clear. I included schaumburg for its ability to create a true edge city in suburbia unlike anything else we have in chicagoland. of course, as I noted, in doing so, it is almost the opposite of most of my criteria since its edge city status serves to attach it to its surroundings more than separate it from them.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM

In a strange way...Glenview. Very unique in that it had a doughnut hole (Glenview NAS) in the middle of a very old, established suburb, and that that hole has been filled, right smack in the middle of town, by a whole new city center that is the Glen. Sure, the Glen is often at odds with the rest of Glenview, but the arrangement is unique to say the least.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oh my, yes.....
The funny thing is many people that grew up in Chicago,the Chicago area, and even the north burbs around Golf do not even know about Golf. I also would say only a very small handful of transplants know about Golf.

I think the people of Golf like it that way.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Honestly though, I think Crsytal Lake is a bit in its own little world. More so than the ones the OP listed.
That's because it's really pretty far from Chicago. It's sort of an ex-urb/small town hybrid.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,142 times
I would definitely add Willow Springs to that list.

It is about as isolated and dissimilar from surrounding suburbia as it gets, given its location in the heart of the Forest Preserve district.

It is also one of the few hilly areas of Northern Illinois, and is also sandwiched between the Cal Sag and MSS canals, with the I & M canal forming its southern border.

And while you are at it, you could also toss in the historic districts of the former river towns of Lockport and Lemont.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The funny thing is many people that grew up in Chicago,the Chicago area, and even the north burbs around Golf do not even know about Golf. I also would say only a very small handful of transplants know about Golf.

I think the people of Golf like it that way.
Knowing Golf in virtually impossible...unless you know Golf.

You could easily stand on the corner of Waukegan and Golf and not even know that it is there. It's weird but the only place Golf is truly noticeable to the general public is on Metra's Milw-N. Golf feeds into Glenview schools and even Glenviewers don't know it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs