Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM

22 posts, read 145,466 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the input...I just returned from my trip...and did avoid the mountains. It was my sister and I (both females) driving who I admit wimp out at Monteagle. It took us a couple of housr longer (2) than normal but we took 65 thru Alabama going, cuttin over to 75 at Valdesta going......very relaxing Beautiful trip!! Coming home we decided to stay on 75 longer....to cut over to 65 closer to Atlanta....BIG mistake....the traffic outside Atlanta was horrific.....but once on I believe 80 or 20??...thru Taladega...it was once again a BEAUTIFUL drive. In the future if I have to drive again....especially during spring break time...I would definately do/recommed this route. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I know a lot of people that live in FLA... they avoid ATL like the plague... if they do go thru it, it's an odd hour on say a Sunday or something.... just so they avoid that horrendous traffic.

Glad you had a good trip.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,324 times
Default Driving from Chicago to FL and WANT to see mountains.

I am leaving to go to Florida with my mom tomorrow and this will be her first road trip. I wanted to give her a very scenic route to enjoy but I do not know very much about the area. I don't want to go too much out of the way but still have the experience of going through some mountainous terrain. Does anyone have any suggestions of roads to go on in Tennessee and Georgia that wouldn't make the trip take too much longer? I am driving to Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Ok, I've done this many times, moving to FL, then going back to IL on roadtrips. Make your way to I-57 South, going through Central and Southern IL until you hit Paducah, KY. You'll have to eventually hit 24 East. You still have to go through a few mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga, but eventually hit 285 South through Atlanta then 75 all the way down to FL. I'm just doing this off the top off my head but you may want to consult with Triple AAA if you're a member. If you want to go completely flat, you'd have to say west a little and go down through Alabama, I did that once and wouldn't recommend it because you go through some podunk towns.
Is this route actually faster than going I-65 to Nashville and then picking up I-24??

Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Ok, I've done this many times, moving to FL, then going back to IL on roadtrips. Make your way to I-57 South, going through Central and Southern IL until you hit Paducah, KY. You'll have to eventually hit 24 East. You still have to go through a few mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga, but eventually hit 285 South through Atlanta then 75 all the way down to FL. I'm just doing this off the top off my head but you may want to consult with Triple AAA if you're a member. If you want to go completely flat, you'd have to say west a little and go down through Alabama, I did that once and wouldn't recommend it because you go through some podunk towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Is this route actually faster than going I-65 to Nashville and then picking up I-24??
I don't necessarily think so. The reason I decided to take it was because it went through less urban areas and was a little flatter than what I recall I-65 was, considering I was pulling a trailer at the time. I haven't taken I-65 in a long time, even though that's the route I've done before. For the last 5-6 times, I've taken the route I described above. I just came back from my trip to/from IL in fact, after enjoying the Taste of Chicago and the rest of the city. The drive I described seems more serene and peaceful, just be careful not to fall asleep, lots of flatland but some rolling hills in Kentucky and Tennessee, and one big hump to get over at Monteagle in TN. But there are a lot of convenient rest stops along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs