Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Having a 7:30am start time as you noted in the Chicago thread changes the dynamic of the equation quite a bit. If she's willing to wake up in time to catch a 5:40am train -- and I promise you she'll get tired of that in a proper hurry -- then she might as well drive. If she leaves by 6:15am she will encounter little to no congestion and she will get there in plenty of time. If she lives in a Northwest side neighborhood relatively close to 94 (be it the Kennedy or Edens portion of it), she could leave even later. So her hopes of living in the city haven't been completely dashed just yet. However, the return-home commute will probably be more difficult, especially on Fridays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM

143 posts, read 460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Having a 7:30am start time as you noted in the Chicago thread changes the dynamic of the equation quite a bit. If she's willing to wake up in time to catch a 5:40am train -- and I promise you she'll get tired of that in a proper hurry -- then she might as well drive. If she leaves by 6:15am she will encounter little to no congestion and she will get there in plenty of time. If she lives in a Northwest side neighborhood relatively close to 94 (be it the Kennedy or Edens portion of it), she could leave even later. So her hopes of living in the city haven't been completely dashed just yet. However, the return-home commute will probably be more difficult, especially on Fridays.
Thanks for laying that out. To your point, the morning part wouldn't be too bad. She talked with the few people in her new workplace that live downtown, one in Logan Square. If the Logan Square person leaves the office by 3:55, it's 45 minutes back home. Most any time after 4:00 and it takes her at least 1.5 hours. With my daughter working, on avg until 5:00pm, she would have to face that long commute back every day. She really wants to live downtown but with this being her first job out of school, I'm thinking she should live close to work and have more energy/flexibility in adapting to her new work routine. After she gets her bearings, if she wants to do the commute, it's up to her. Actually, it's up to her right now, but my recommendation will be to find something in the burbs for now. Not that she isn't a dedicated person but I think she needs to demonstrate to her new employer that her work is more important than her social life and do the "things" freshouts should do to set the stage for success. We'll see what happens. I'll pass along your insights for her to consider. Thanks for sharing them.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I would say Arlington Hts is the best bet. Nice downtown,alot of restaraunts in the vibrant downtown. Easy commute to Ohare or metra to the city.I dont recommend S'burg unless you are into strip malls,mega malls,car dealerships and chain restaraunts. As 'cool' as Naperville is, the commute would be the pits.

Thanks, nanannie. I thought I had read that AH would be a viable option. She has friends downtown, so being near the Metra would be convenient. It's very likely there will be some travel involved with her job so proximity to O'Hare is a factor, too. And, like you say, there is some vibrancy that she wouldn't get in the standard suburban apt complex. We've picked some places in the downtown area to visit when we are there at the end of this week. It won't be downtown Chicago, but hopefully a good compromise. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
I have kids in their 20's who would much rather deal with a long commute than live in the 'burbs. I would stick with your original plan and aid her in finding a place in the city.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
We will certainly be heading that way. Arlington Heights looks like a good area to explore, too. Based on the responses, there doesn't seem to be a lot of "cool" places...
There are way more "cool" places in Schaumburg than in Arlington Heights.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There are way more "cool" places in Schaumburg than in Arlington Heights.

We're going to explore Schaumburg, too. Are there any specific areas or apt complexes that you can recommend?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
We're going to explore Schaumburg, too. Are there any specific areas or apt complexes that you can recommend?
I can't help with that,but I do know there are plenty of clubs and restaurants (which I have been to) in Schaumburg.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM

147 posts, read 395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I would say Arlington Hts is the best bet. Nice downtown,alot of restaraunts in the vibrant downtown. Easy commute to Ohare or metra to the city.I dont recommend S'burg unless you are into strip malls,mega malls,car dealerships and chain restaraunts. As 'cool' as Naperville is, the commute would be the pits.
try skokie

Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

158 posts, read 379,249 times
Personally as someone in her age group that has grown up spending quite a lot of time in AH and Schaumburg I would say they're about equal. I personally have more experience with AH but Schaumburg can be nice as well.. I think that if she's deciding between the two to go where she can get into a nicer apartment. In AH she could easily drive to woodfield and all of the restaurants etc. that Schaumburg has to offer. While if she lived in Schaumburg she could go to AH to take the train downtown or to visit the offerings AH has. It all depends on what parts of Schaumburg / AH you are looking as well.. Maybe after you visit some places you and her can get a feel for where you like better. I would agree with living in the suburbs though it will make her commute so much better- and just because she lives in the burbs doesn’t mean she can’t go to the city and party—especially if she has friends or co-workers that live down there.

As for ideas of apartments -- I didn't see what the price range you are looking at is that would make suggesting specific apartment complexes easier =)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I can't help with that,but I do know there are plenty of clubs and restaurants (which I have been to) in Schaumburg.

We'll find them. My daughter has been talking to some of her new colleagues, both suburb and city dwellers, so she should have some good leads, too. Hopefully they'll be familiar with the places you've enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs