Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Not about this post specifically, which I like, but why does everyone seem to take these damn school report cards like their the gospel. Seriously, if a school is half full of Einsteins and half idiots and thus has average test scores, if you enter as a very smart student with involved parents do you just automatically become average..

Not saying that school report cards aren't useful to consult, but people seem to go way overboard.
Good point. One that I agree with. What the school report cards did for me was to allow me to see if the majority of the kids did well, particularly the "minorities". I'd rather have my kid around a majority of similiarly performing high achieving kids than the other way around.

Of course, it is the parent's responsibilty to make sure their child is educated, and educated well. I know my son would do well academically in most SAFE H.S. settings. But I'd rather have him around like minded kids and parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,751 times
im tellin you west aurora

Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 PM

10 posts, read 17,029 times
Don't rule out River Forest- it's not as diverse as Oak Park, but there are a number of black professionals there.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion10 View Post
Don't rule out River Forest- it's not as diverse as Oak Park, but there are a number of black professionals there.
River forest is good as well, also check out forest park and oak park as mentioned. All would be great choices.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Don't know your geographic requirements, but Oak Park and Evanston are the traditional favorites for diverse communities without white flighters.
Ditto.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thankful1 View Post
I am an African American attorney (my husband is also a professional) with two young boys. We live in a nice home we built approx. 7 years ago in the south suburbs before we had children. We now want to live in a more culturally diverse suburban community where our children will grow with children from other races and ethnicities. Additionally, our $10k+ annually in property taxes does not seem justified given the mediocre performance of the local schools. We're looking to pay b/t $400-$450k for our new home. Needless to say, we want to live where we believe we will feel welcomed: after reading several posts here about white flight to Frankfort, Tinley Park, etc., I'm alarmed that these communities wouldn't be very welcoming. Of course I am prepared to be the minority in a new community, I just don't want to feel as if we don't belong. Any thoughts?
You cant go wrong with bolingbrook or woodridge. The high school in b.brook is sorta sketchy but theres still plenty of nice parts. Try darien or willowbrook too!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
gfd

8 posts, read 17,283 times
Thumbs up oak park

i encourage you to check out oak park/ very diverse/ great schools/ churches/ we have lovely condo near OPRF and green line - willing to rent give you an opportunity to get a feel for the community.

another African-American family

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
brookfield

Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Hmmmm, everybody say Oak Park. I'm going for Evanston on this one. Just because the downtown look better and right on the lake.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Oak Park is the best bet. Otherwise try Olympia Field and even perhaps Matteson. What town did you build your house in?
Something we finally agree on. Olympia Fields is suppose to be the wealthiest over 50% black suburb in Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs