Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving AZ View Post
Thats good to know I was told wrong then thats why I stopped looking into Plainfield cause someone told me that where all the Tornados hit Ill consder it now. But I have also heard our Monsoons are nothing compared to your guys Thunderstorms
Plainfield was the site of a bad tornado many, many years ago, but thats about it.

As for monsoons, they dont last as long as our thunderstorms, but I actually think monsoons are every bit as severe (high winds, some structural damage, etc...). Were just lucky not to have nasty dust storms that occur with monsoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 PM

124 posts, read 412,116 times
Howell_Street that is exactly what I heard about Plainfield that it is Tornado Alley when one does decide to hit Im just not sure if I can handle any thing like that.

Stev-O Yes our Monsoons can be hard I got stuck in a really bad a few weeks ago I had to pull over cause I couldnt see anything in front of me It took me an hour to get home I thought to myself maybe this is like a blizzard Im sure you would have to do the same thing if you were driving and one decided to hit. The only scary part is in the snow your car slides all over the place our dust just makes your car dirty.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Sliding in the snow is fun! Once you master the art, youll find yourself drifting at every stoplight, etc. Whats great is rippin off a big, long arc in the snow right through a intersection. Its hilarious watching the looks on peoples' faces as you slide past them, perpendicular to their car, in complete control. Yeah baby.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,017 times
I've lived in Plainfield for the past 16 months; I would define Plainfield in 2 different sections. The north end of town (north of IL-126/Lockport Street) is mostly new development and is a lot like a Naperville Jr, as it borders Naperville on this end. Most of the homes are under 10 years old, a vast majority are in the $300 to $500 range. The north has a lot of chain commercial development that is very new. Traffic flow is generally good, although it does get congested around downtown plainfiend on and around route 59. South of IL-126 is a different story. Traffic is generally worse, the overall condition of the developments around there seem to be less maintained but thats probably because most of the businesses are older. Some of the areas the further south you go tend to deteriorate as you get near Joliet, things are also much more crowded here. Traffic on Route 59 is almost always difficult here. A good portion of the homes are under $300k although there are a number of exceptions. The north is definitely the whiter of the two sections of town, but my neighborhood is still quite diverse.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,192 times
Default Reply

They are supposed to act like themselves. Come on, be realistic - you've never come across any whites that acted black ... or black people who acted different? I don't know what kind of freaking bubble you live in if you've never seen it. Ever heard of Paul Wall? You've never seen a white person wear a grill or talk ebonics? If you did, how would you say they were acting? It's a stereotype but people live off of stereotyping. All of the hispanics I have ever known embraced their culture and were proud of it! They spoke their language fluent. The hispanics I have come across here don't do that.

And if the hispanics ain't acting white over here, they surely aren't acting hispanic either. If you've never lived lived around JUST hispanic people, I suppose you wouldn't notice a difference.

Just a few months ago, i met a woman who was hispanic. She was married to a white man. She had no hispanic accent and spoke proper. Now, that isn't the problem. The problem arose when she asked me where I grew up. I told her El Paso. She replied with, "Oh my God, I couldn't live there, too many mexican people." So I look at her like WTF are YOU? Now tell me that isn't disgracing your own freaking race?

Alright, retrieve back to your bubble now. Plainfield is a freaking bubble. Living here isn't living REAL. Teens walk around at night like it's all safe. They'd be disappointed if they left their bubble and walked into the real world where you can't go prancing around at 2am like it's safe. I don't let my 6 year old parade around in the streets all day like some parents here do. i want to teach my kid to be cautious because outside of the Plainfield bubble, kidnappers and psychos DO exist.

And yeah, I do look at people retarded when they act like something they are not. I'm sure you'd do the same if you saw a white person all blinged out wearing a diamond and gold grill with pants sagging off of their butts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They "act white"? What the hell does that even mean? How exactly are they supposed to "act" according to your curious view of acceptable Latino "action"?

I wonder if your expectations of how people should act according to your preconceived notions based on race has anything to do with why you get stared at like you're retarded. Maybe it's because you stare at "acting-white" people like they're retarded.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
I don't even know how to respond to this nonsense on stilts..... so I won't. Have a nice day.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,842,425 times
You'll be fine in Plainfield. The Hispanic population here is vast and they can be found in most areas, some areas having more than others. My only concern is your commute. A coworker of mine who moved to Plainfield recently quit her job because her commute to Downers Grove was horrible and it really affected her quality of life. Downers Grove is much closer to Plainfield than Midway is. Even though Plainfield may be reasonable, you need to consider how much time you'll be commuting and how much of that time you could be home with your children or saving on day care, after school care, home making dinner, going over homework, etc. Children don't care about the size of their house or the size of their backyard. These are things that we adults typically want. You may only have 2 hours a night with your kids before they go to bed living out in Plainfield. If you're going to be teaching in Chicago, I would seriously consider living in a smaller home and living closer to work. Your children are small enough to share a room. A friend of mine raised 2 kids in a 2 bedroom house and they shared a bedroom (boy/girl) until the were 9 and 8 respectively. Maybe buy something smaller now closer to work, build some equity in that and reaccess your situation again in 5 years or so? I see the struggles of working woman daily; getting a call from work to pick up their baby from childcare because they have a fever, rushing to get to daycare by 6:00 p.m. etc. Make your life easier for yourself and live closer. That's my "2 cents".

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia31 View Post
I grew up in El Paso, Texas - a city with predominantly Hispanic people. My daughter is half Mexican and I am Italian. I thought that since we were close to Chicago, I'd feel more at home moving to Plainfield. However, although there are Hispanic people in Plainfield, the ones I have come across all act very white. I have never seen anything like it and it's not what I'm used to.

We live in an upper class neighborhood - I grew up in a middle class neighborhood with the ghetto right down the street. I must say that I find most of my neighbors over here to be snobs. I really do not like it. I love our house and I love the low crime rate in Plainfield. I also love the school my daughter goes too. I am just utterly disappointed by the people.

To top it off, my current husband is black. We get looked at like we are retarded. In no shape or form have I ever encountered this in El Paso .... I wish I could move back. Well, this is all just my opinion.

I feel lonely and like an outcast .. there are no people here that I can relate to. I don't like country music and I don't fish or play golf ..... and that's what most of the people do around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia31 View Post
They are supposed to act like themselves. Come on, be realistic - you've never come across any whites that acted black ... or black people who acted different? I don't know what kind of freaking bubble you live in if you've never seen it. Ever heard of Paul Wall? You've never seen a white person wear a grill or talk ebonics? If you did, how would you say they were acting? It's a stereotype but people live off of stereotyping. All of the hispanics I have ever known embraced their culture and were proud of it! They spoke their language fluent. The hispanics I have come across here don't do that.

And if the hispanics ain't acting white over here, they surely aren't acting hispanic either. If you've never lived lived around JUST hispanic people, I suppose you wouldn't notice a difference.

Just a few months ago, i met a woman who was hispanic. She was married to a white man. She had no hispanic accent and spoke proper. Now, that isn't the problem. The problem arose when she asked me where I grew up. I told her El Paso. She replied with, "Oh my God, I couldn't live there, too many mexican people." So I look at her like WTF are YOU? Now tell me that isn't disgracing your own freaking race?

Alright, retrieve back to your bubble now. Plainfield is a freaking bubble. Living here isn't living REAL. Teens walk around at night like it's all safe. They'd be disappointed if they left their bubble and walked into the real world where you can't go prancing around at 2am like it's safe. I don't let my 6 year old parade around in the streets all day like some parents here do. i want to teach my kid to be cautious because outside of the Plainfield bubble, kidnappers and psychos DO exist.

And yeah, I do look at people retarded when they act like something they are not. I'm sure you'd do the same if you saw a white person all blinged out wearing a diamond and gold grill with pants sagging off of their butts.

That is becuase they are being themselfs, why does it make a difference to you if a White person likes rap or a Black person likes fine arts? And how the hell would you even know how Hispanics "Act", YOUR NOT EVEN HISPANIC!!!! I moved to Plainfield about 2 years ago and I am quite familar with the people, and, where do they play golf and fish and listen to country becuase I really have not witnessed this stereotype here yet. Basiclly, if you have a problem here than go back to El Paso, have fun living "right up the street from the ghetto" and living with all the "Kidnappers and Phychos", all, of course, in your Hispanic naghborhood living with a race of people that you are not, Ill remember to look at you wired when in El Paso.

Adios!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GoSOXlez View Post
Hello, this is for any Hispanics who live in Plainfield. I am planning in maybe moving there with my family. I have a 3 year old boy and a 3 month old baby girl. What are your experiences so far? Are they positive or negative? The last thing I would ever want to do is risk my family.
Also, I am a teacher who works in Chicago and am planning on keeping my job. Is the traffic really that bad? How long will it take me?
Thank u for your time.

I'm curious. What are you thinking could risk your family?

On edit: Disregard the thread was an old one bumped. I will add that if you aren't a legal citizen or resident of the United States then please stay out of Illinois. In fact please leave the United States entirely. If you are a citizen or a legal resident, then welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs