U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM

7 posts, read 17,795 times

Advertisements

My fiance is going to school at UTI, so we are moving to Glendale Heights from Minnesota in July. From everything i have read Glendale Heights isnt a good place to live. We have a two year old daughter and vehicals we have put a lot of money into. I want to live in a nice town where i dont have to worry about anything happening to my family or our assests. Is there any luck for us? please help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM

88 posts, read 214,268 times
Glendale Heights is a nice community, it does suffer from a less than stellar reputation. If you decide to move in that direction consider Bloomingdale or even Wheaton.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM

859 posts, read 1,905,794 times
Can someone tell me why Glendale Heights is not seen as a desirable place to live? The crime rate is pretty low, much lower than other communities that are seen as desirable (e.g. Oak Park and Evanston). I don't know much about it. I dated a guy who lived there many years ago and only visited a few times.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,594,903 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me why Glendale Heights is not seen as a desirable place to live?
I'm thinking it's just lower income.....

I lived there before i got married. Housing was cheaper than surrounding areas. It was a good started home [duplex] Granted, we moved almost 20 yrs ago - but are still in DuPage County.

If you plan to be there and put your children thru the schools, look more into the local school districts to see if that is where you want your children to go.

There may be some parts of GH that are more desirable than others .... but like i said - if you are gonna be there long term, look into the schools.

Where is the UTI school that your SO will be going?

where you bring up Oak Park and Evanston.... those are far from GH ... yes, they may be more desirable to some, but it depends on where you want/need to be located.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,795 times
UTI is right in GH. Im not sure of the exact address tho. im really worried bc we have heard a lot of bad things. I have a two year old, so she will need daycare, and we have a lot of really nice stuff. for example, my fiance's truck is worth like $26,000. I dont want to live in a town that i will have to worry about my family or our assets. It is really hard bc i dont know ANYTHING about Illinois. i have lived in the same small town my whole life. i really need some help!!! :s

Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 AM

OK -- i found it on a map. It's pretty much at Army Trail and Glen Ellyn Rds.
Have you looked in Bloomingdale? And I'd think - hope - that not all areas of GH are that bad.
I lived a bit farther west off of Schmale.

There are other towns, i'd guess it all depends on your finances are and what you can afford for a home.

Sometimes i just go on zillow.com and look at what homes are worth in the area. just plug in the zip codes - and it will bring up the towns.

Glendale Hts - 60137
Bloomingdale - 60108
Carol Stream - 60188

there are other villages around, using zillow may help a bit....

hope this helps... I'm sure it's scary moving somewhere, where you know nothing about it.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Glendale Hts - 60137
That's also our Zip code in Glen Ellyn, so it might bias things slightly.

UTI is located right next to the former Somerset Apartments (now the Stonegate Condominiums). It used to be many UTI students from out of town lived there, and the place had a reputation as "the source of most of Glendale Height's crime". I'd suspect its better now.

Glendale Heights isn't awful. Houses are small and the people are diverse (lots of people from Mexico and India). Most neighborhoods are very quiet. I have several co-workers from G.H. and they all love it. Like was said earlier, check out the schools.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Ugg... you are right... GH is 60139

Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
Let's say Dupage county is a body, Glendale Heights might be considered the armpit.
Why?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM

No, not since the mid-90s. I was really asking out of curiosity. On paper (e.g. low crime rate, above average median income), it doesn't seem like a bad town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs