Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,015,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
It makes me mad sometimes that others have it easy.
Yeah, like rich people who had everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,907,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, they don't make me mad, they make me work smarter.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

16,915 posts, read 14,252,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Those people are few and far between.

You'd be better off channeling your anger towards becoming successful yourself.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,077,098 times
Section 8 and low income people moving into surrounding areas obviously does affect a community. I just don't think any of the other areas that people have mentioned are any better. And I think the real gripe on this board with homewood, flossmoor, or olympia fields are the high numbers of middle class and upper income blacks that live there. Not the low income section 8 folks that live nearby. Because, particularly closer in NWI towns. There is section 8 residents all over the place out there bordering the nicer towns. And those areas look much more run down and unapproachable. Gary and large parts of hammond for example.

And the section 8 residents in austin and in some of the suburbs around oak park, please. I wouldn't even compare oak park's low level of insulation from surrounding areas to homewood, flossmoor, or olympia fields. Big city crime is right at oak park's doorstep. Living in oak park is more like living in beverly if anything. Not saying oak park is at all dangerous, just like affluent beverly is totally safe. But when you drive outside of oak park towards austin, it's no joke. Oak park and beverly stay safe because police basically blanket the area with patrol cars 24/7. If you have enough police patrols you can make anywhere feel safe. Such as hyde park as another example.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-03-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Section 8 and low income people moving into surrounding areas obviously does affect a community. I just don't think any of the other areas that people have mentioned are any better. And I think the real gripe on this board with homewood, flossmoor, or olympia fields are the high numbers of middle class and upper income blacks that live there. Not the low income section 8 folks that live nearby. Because, particularly closer in NWI towns. There is section 8 residents all over the place out there bordering the nicer towns. And those areas look much more run down and unapproachable. Gary and large parts of hammond for example.

And the section 8 residents in austin and in some of the suburbs around oak park, please. I wouldn't even compare oak park's low level of insulation from surrounding areas to homewood, flossmoor, or olympia fields. Big city crime is right at oak park's doorstep. Living in oak park is more like living in beverly if anything. Not saying oak park is at all dangerous, just like affluent beverly is totally safe. But when you drive outside of oak park towards austin, it's no joke. Oak park and beverly stay safe because police basically blanket the area with patrol cars 24/7. If you have enough police patrols you can make anywhere feel safe. Such as hyde park as another example.
Interesting take. I will agree, cops are everywhere in Beverly.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 PM

14 posts, read 38,913 times
Homewood is still a decently safe place to live...the village does a good job keeping it looking nice, tho there are more foreclosures now. I question if gangs will ever become strongly present in the community in the next coming years? Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwoodguy1 View Post
Homewood is still a decently safe place to live...the village does a good job keeping it looking nice, tho there are more foreclosures now. I question if gangs will ever become strongly present in the community in the next coming years? Any thoughts?
With the strong police presence and if the residents show the kids they don't play, they'll move along.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,453,606 times
One thing Homewood and Flossmoor can do is strongly enforce resident requirements for school attendance and if need be, redraw district lines to ensure that ONLY Homewood and Flossmoor residents attend those schools. Right now, it is way too easy to sneak into the system. And they need to investigate school employees for helping sneak people into the system because it has happened many times before.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,841,218 times
Doubt gangs will be a significant force anytime soon.

Biggest concern will be formerly upper middle class areas becoming middle class to lower middle class, which opens the floodgates down the line for less affluent, less educated people to move in.

Hanover Park is not horrible area but because it is one of the most affordable suburbs in the northwest suburbs riff raff that would be priced out in other areas are able to move in. It is the same in Rolling Meadows and parts of Addison.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:01 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,015,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbermishoe View Post
most affluent Caucasians don’t care so much about race like your working class or lower class Caucasians. The most affluent individuals embrace diversity and believe in trying to help everyone succeed.
And Humbdoldt1 is living proof!

Seriously though, it's easy to "embrace diversity" when you've lived your whole life or most of your life in a little rich white bubble. Lower class and working class whites are more likely to have lived around minorities than affluent whites, especially in Chicagoland. And this is precisely what makes the Homewood-Flossmoor area so special.

....And Oak Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbermishoe View Post
As a country, we are suffering. There are two America’s A White one and a minority one. That is why other countries have bypassed us in education and creating things because we are busy trying to accelerate one race (and put other races down), while others are falling behind.
There are two Americas. A rich one and a poor one. The third America, the middle class one, is well on its way to splitting up and joining one of the first two.

Race is just something that the rich and powerful use to keep us divided and distracted while they go to the bank.

Last edited by urza216; 03-04-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs