U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM
 
167 posts, read 272,805 times
Reputation: 81

Advertisements

That's what I want to know. We (not I) are so sick and tired of: atrocious violence, abandoned/boarded up buildings, dirt cheap housing, schools that are right on par with the southern United States, super liberal politics (democratic leaders), one race fits all with little diversity, no reconstruction of historic places because of deterioration, storefront churches, protests, and a lot more.
I realize that we cannot just sit here and whine about this. I really want to do something about this major problem. However, I realize that it is going to take gangbusters and a lot of time, work, and energy to reform the southeast suburbs.
I want to travel to them on my weekends during nice weather. I want to embrace the architecture and timeless beauty of buildings in Chicago Heights. Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street. The same goes for surrounding towns that I won't bring up.
This town (up to the tragic liberalism of the 60s) was beautiful. I had grandparents that either worked, traveled, and/or lived in "da Heights." Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street.
Someday, if we are lucky, there will be a nice revival of these areas. I don't see happening right now with everyone's hero, Barack Obama in the White House. That man is just as much of a failure as Bush. I knew it would be true. I bring this up because people currently in that area support this far-left man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM
 
3,599 posts, read 4,656,826 times
Reputation: 2136
I have to say, I've never in my life heard "southeast burbs" - basically because that would be Indiana.

Southeast side of Chicago - yes.

Southeast burbs? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Around Chicago
859 posts, read 1,896,847 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
I want to embrace the architecture and timeless beauty of buildings in Chicago Heights. Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street.
Ignoring the rest of your ridiculous, baiting rant, maybe you could ask the 5,000 or so Chicago Heights citizens of "European decent" (i.e. white people that live in Chicago Heights) how they live and travel through the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 9,732,937 times
Reputation: 1584
Being from the south-burbs myself and also one who laments some of the poverty and crime endemic to the area, I can say that your attitude is certainly not going to help in their revitalization.

You won't get very far in life trying to blame all of societies problems on the 'liberal boogeyman' (or the 'conservative boogeyman' for that matter).

You should also realize that the north-shore also supported Obama, and well, we all know the condition of that part of town, so there is really no correlation between the economic state of ones geographic area and whether or not one pulled the lever for Obama in the last presidential election. He got the majority of votes in Wilmette and in Harvey. So whether or not Obama is popular in the south-burbs or not really has nothing to do with the sorry economic state of that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,316 times
Reputation: 10
there is no white place to live anymore!!! makes me start hating myself for being white, if i was black i can live anywhere i want. if a white person yell at me i can yell racist but being white if a black person yell at me i have to take it i am being the racist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Location Location
3,221 posts, read 5,969,096 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanagirlie View Post
there is no white place to live anymore!!! makes me start hating myself for being white, if i was black i can live anywhere i want. if a white person yell at me i can yell racist but being white if a black person yell at me i have to take it i am being the racist!
what??? you brought up an old topic for to say this....****outta here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Chicago: Beverly, Woodlawn
1,967 posts, read 3,781,118 times
Reputation: 667
"makes me start hating myself for being white." Please just shut UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 2,408,554 times
Reputation: 475
If you want to change a place you can work fro mthe inside or the outside.

From the inside - go to city meetings. Get to know the the leadership. Talk to the leadership, write letters, call them, be constructive, give praise when its due. Suck up. Identify manageable solutions. Search out businesses that fit the best of your demographic. Suggest them. Support them. See if there is federal funding for revitalization. It all requires work and a lot of time, more time than city government often has, since it is probably not efficiently run. Also realize this is not a one-town problem, so build alliances with other neighboring areas.

Or work from the outside - talk to other residents. Identify their concerns. Discuss what can be done. Do it. In other words, act like a "community organizer". Get out the vote to change leadership. Realize new leadership will be starting from scratch. Contact the media. Shine a light on corruption/ineptitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
1,070 posts, read 1,802,195 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
If you want to change a place you can work fro mthe inside or the outside.

From the inside - go to city meetings. Get to know the the leadership. Talk to the leadership, write letters, call them, be constructive, give praise when its due. Suck up. Identify manageable solutions. Search out businesses that fit the best of your demographic. Suggest them. Support them. See if there is federal funding for revitalization. It all requires work and a lot of time, more time than city government often has, since it is probably not efficiently run. Also realize this is not a one-town problem, so build alliances with other neighboring areas.

Or work from the outside - talk to other residents. Identify their concerns. Discuss what can be done. Do it. In other words, act like a "community organizer". Get out the vote to change leadership. Realize new leadership will be starting from scratch. Contact the media. Shine a light on corruption/ineptitude.
Aha. However, do we know if someone will put in all the work just to be deterred by the ignorance they face of people they are trying to persuade to do something, and the attitudes of "if it's not broke, don't try and fix it." I kinda feel that's how it is out here, everyone seems to be satisfied with everything, but in my opinion, everything needs a-changin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 2,408,554 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Aha. However, do we know if someone will put in all the work just to be deterred by the ignorance they face of people they are trying to persuade to do something, and the attitudes of "if it's not broke, don't try and fix it." I kinda feel that's how it is out here, everyone seems to be satisfied with everything, but in my opinion, everything needs a-changin'!
That's why "instant success takes 13 years"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top