Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM

167 posts, read 395,171 times

Advertisements

That's what I want to know. We (not I) are so sick and tired of: atrocious violence, abandoned/boarded up buildings, dirt cheap housing, schools that are right on par with the southern United States, super liberal politics (democratic leaders), one race fits all with little diversity, no reconstruction of historic places because of deterioration, storefront churches, protests, and a lot more.
I realize that we cannot just sit here and whine about this. I really want to do something about this major problem. However, I realize that it is going to take gangbusters and a lot of time, work, and energy to reform the southeast suburbs.
I want to travel to them on my weekends during nice weather. I want to embrace the architecture and timeless beauty of buildings in Chicago Heights. Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street. The same goes for surrounding towns that I won't bring up.
This town (up to the tragic liberalism of the 60s) was beautiful. I had grandparents that either worked, traveled, and/or lived in "da Heights." Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street.
Someday, if we are lucky, there will be a nice revival of these areas. I don't see happening right now with everyone's hero, Barack Obama in the White House. That man is just as much of a failure as Bush. I knew it would be true. I bring this up because people currently in that area support this far-left man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM

17,057 posts, read 14,390,736 times
I have to say, I've never in my life heard "southeast burbs" - basically because that would be Indiana.

Southeast side of Chicago - yes.

Southeast burbs? No.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 AM

863 posts, read 2,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
I want to embrace the architecture and timeless beauty of buildings in Chicago Heights. Of course, I can't because I'm of southern European decent. I'll get shot or something if I cross 10th Street.
Ignoring the rest of your ridiculous, baiting rant, maybe you could ask the 5,000 or so Chicago Heights citizens of "European decent" (i.e. white people that live in Chicago Heights) how they live and travel through the town.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,056,054 times
Being from the south-burbs myself and also one who laments some of the poverty and crime endemic to the area, I can say that your attitude is certainly not going to help in their revitalization.

You won't get very far in life trying to blame all of societies problems on the 'liberal boogeyman' (or the 'conservative boogeyman' for that matter).

You should also realize that the north-shore also supported Obama, and well, we all know the condition of that part of town, so there is really no correlation between the economic state of ones geographic area and whether or not one pulled the lever for Obama in the last presidential election. He got the majority of votes in Wilmette and in Harvey. So whether or not Obama is popular in the south-burbs or not really has nothing to do with the sorry economic state of that region.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,667 times
there is no white place to live anymore!!! makes me start hating myself for being white, if i was black i can live anywhere i want. if a white person yell at me i can yell racist but being white if a black person yell at me i have to take it i am being the racist!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,361,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanagirlie View Post
there is no white place to live anymore!!! makes me start hating myself for being white, if i was black i can live anywhere i want. if a white person yell at me i can yell racist but being white if a black person yell at me i have to take it i am being the racist!
what??? you brought up an old topic for to say this....****outta here

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,057,503 times
"makes me start hating myself for being white." Please just shut UP.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,740,796 times
If you want to change a place you can work fro mthe inside or the outside.

From the inside - go to city meetings. Get to know the the leadership. Talk to the leadership, write letters, call them, be constructive, give praise when its due. Suck up. Identify manageable solutions. Search out businesses that fit the best of your demographic. Suggest them. Support them. See if there is federal funding for revitalization. It all requires work and a lot of time, more time than city government often has, since it is probably not efficiently run. Also realize this is not a one-town problem, so build alliances with other neighboring areas.

Or work from the outside - talk to other residents. Identify their concerns. Discuss what can be done. Do it. In other words, act like a "community organizer". Get out the vote to change leadership. Realize new leadership will be starting from scratch. Contact the media. Shine a light on corruption/ineptitude.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,911,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
If you want to change a place you can work fro mthe inside or the outside.

From the inside - go to city meetings. Get to know the the leadership. Talk to the leadership, write letters, call them, be constructive, give praise when its due. Suck up. Identify manageable solutions. Search out businesses that fit the best of your demographic. Suggest them. Support them. See if there is federal funding for revitalization. It all requires work and a lot of time, more time than city government often has, since it is probably not efficiently run. Also realize this is not a one-town problem, so build alliances with other neighboring areas.

Or work from the outside - talk to other residents. Identify their concerns. Discuss what can be done. Do it. In other words, act like a "community organizer". Get out the vote to change leadership. Realize new leadership will be starting from scratch. Contact the media. Shine a light on corruption/ineptitude.
Aha. However, do we know if someone will put in all the work just to be deterred by the ignorance they face of people they are trying to persuade to do something, and the attitudes of "if it's not broke, don't try and fix it." I kinda feel that's how it is out here, everyone seems to be satisfied with everything, but in my opinion, everything needs a-changin'!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,740,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Aha. However, do we know if someone will put in all the work just to be deterred by the ignorance they face of people they are trying to persuade to do something, and the attitudes of "if it's not broke, don't try and fix it." I kinda feel that's how it is out here, everyone seems to be satisfied with everything, but in my opinion, everything needs a-changin'!
That's why "instant success takes 13 years"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs