Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times

Advertisements

I wonder how helpful this is to the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think that anyone coming to Illinois or even Illinois residents that are not aware of just how bizarre the disparity of our schools is ought to be made aware. Honestly I know CA has massive education problems, and many people feel the need for private schools out there. Similarly there are other states that "public school == avoid if you can". In Illinois, especially the Chicago suburbs, that is simply NOT the case. We some public schools that are atrocious and others that are stellar, often in the same District, in which case they receive IDENTICAL funding on a per student basis.

This is not amount money, it is about how the whole system is organized. You can guarantee your kids excellent educational opportunities in a relatively small number of towns, struggle to determine the "good schools", avoid schools with poor performance, learn about the whole mess, et cetera...

Old 05-09-2009, 11:23 PM

10 posts, read 17,016 times
My kids attended River Forest public schools and they are excellent. They have been in honors classes at OPRF and they have done well. I can see how the school could be overwhelming if you are not used to a big school. The near Western suburbs do not have many (if any) private high schools that are not Catholic or Lutheran. There are more private schools on the North Shore.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM

49 posts, read 162,059 times
What about Beverly? I have spoken to Morgan Park Academy and they have space for all three of my children. I have heard there are some sketchy parts of Beverly but I don't know which areas to stay away from. Also, is there a difference between morgan Park and Beverly, they are separate choices on searches for homes but the person I spoke with at MPA said she lived in Beverly and walked to work.

What about Hyde Park? Can you get in and out of there safely? Other posts on the area seemed to be concerned about what was on the perimeter of HP.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:33 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Can you get in and out of Hyde Park safely?? That's a really strange question. How do you think 50,000 people live there day in and day out?

107th street divides Beverly from Morgan Park, though the two blend with no sign that you have switched neighborhoods. I know the neighborhood like back of my hand and can tell you about any bloc or area that you're interested in. The only area that can described as sketchy is east of Prospect (east of Longwood if you're south of 111th). Even that area is pretty tame, though.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canthisbemyusername View Post
What about Beverly? I have spoken to Morgan Park Academy and they have space for all three of my children. I have heard there are some sketchy parts of Beverly but I don't know which areas to stay away from. Also, is there a difference between morgan Park and Beverly, they are separate choices on searches for homes but the person I spoke with at MPA said she lived in Beverly and walked to work.

What about Hyde Park? Can you get in and out of there safely? Other posts on the area seemed to be concerned about what was on the perimeter of HP.

Thanks!
Beverly and Hyde Park are nice too. You need to walk around all of these communities, go into a coffeeshop, talk to some of the residents, go in to all of these schools and then decide. The areas you are looking at are verrrrry different from each other.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I've personally been in and out of Hyde Park several times, and I've somehow managed to survive.

Your biggest worry in Hyde Park and Beverly will be petty crime and robbery. Neither are among the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city by any means, but both are surrounded by rough areas and robberies are common. For instance, Hyde Park has a crime rate similar to Uptown on the North Side, which is considered a sketchier North Side neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
gfd

8 posts, read 17,266 times
Thumbs up oak park condo

lovely 3 bed room large rooms/ 2 parking spaces/ 3 blocks to train /OPRF schools best in country /must see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs