Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM

18 posts, read 58,088 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Arlington Heights and are looking at different areas and like some houses where our kids would go to RMHS. Any opinions on that school? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM

342 posts, read 1,232,312 times
Interactive Illinois Report Card
it looks like a decent school. their football teams are usually decent.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM

18 posts, read 58,088 times
Thank you bulldawg. Do you have kids? That is good to hear the football team is decent Does anybody out there live in Arlington Heights and have young kids but are concerned about high schools already even though your child is only a toddler? I want to make sure I am moving to a good area but also that the area would be a good high school. I obviously know Hersey is top notch but was hoping to hear the RMHS is getting there? Thank you all!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I would be cautious in using the results to suggest that RMHS is improving. It has not made Adequate Yearly Progress and the trend data is at best flat.

The other troubling data that is present in that report is the shifts in demographics.

I believe a large percentage of students in nearby private high schools come from the RMHS attendance area, another sign that parents may be seeking better options...

Finally it does not appear on the US News rankings, which I believe is more reliable measure of the liklihood of students going on to success in college: Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieLovers View Post
Thank you bulldawg. Do you have kids? That is good to hear the football team is decent Does anybody out there live in Arlington Heights and have young kids but are concerned about high schools already even though your child is only a toddler? I want to make sure I am moving to a good area but also that the area would be a good high school. I obviously know Hersey is top notch but was hoping to hear the RMHS is getting there? Thank you all!
i'm 15.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Rolling Meadows High School: Not bad, but not great either. How will it be in a decade? It's anyone's guess.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 104,462 times
I wouldn't live in Arlington Heights and go RMHS. If you are paying to live in AH, go to one of their high schools. Another option would be Palatine, which is similar to AH but slightly cheaper with good schools as well.

I'm not saying RMHS is bad or anything but there are better schools in the area and if you're paying the price to live there, take advantage of the better schools.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Attendance boundaries my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdapel View Post
I wouldn't live in Arlington Heights and go RMHS. If you are paying to live in AH, go to one of their high schools. Another option would be Palatine, which is similar to AH but slightly cheaper with good schools as well.

I'm not saying RMHS is bad or anything but there are better schools in the area and if you're paying the price to live there, take advantage of the better schools.
The portion of AH that is with the attendance boundary of RMHS is the least desirable /costly. That is the way things work in much of the region. If you want the desirable schools you should research how things are districted... You will probably end up paying more to rent or own something in the section served by the more desirable schools.

Clear?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Arlington Heights feeds into 5 different high schools, only one of which is located in Arlington Heights, Hersey. The others are Buffalo Grove, Prospect, Wheeling and Rolling Meadows. There are scholars and delinquents at all of these schools. There are drug/alcohol problems in all high schools.

There is also the Forest View Alternative School and two private high schools, St. Viators and Christian Liberty.

AH is a large suburb and home values are consistently inconsistent, regardless of the feeder high school. You will find students from more and less affuent areas in all of these schools.

Some of the least and most expensive housing in Arlington Heights feeds into the high school with the highest test scores. Go figure.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdapel View Post
Arlington Heights has only one high school within its borders and that school's test scores are not the highest amongst the 5 high schools that serve AH.

Palatine is served by two high schools, Palatine and Fremd. Palatine is ranked right there with Rolling Meadows relative to test scores, last time I checked.

Fremd High School, in the western portion of Palatine also serves a part of Rolling Meadows is highly regarded.

Home prices and property taxes in the Fremd area are substantially higher than comparable homes in the Palatine School area.

All schools are good. It's the kids that muck them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs