U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 215,615 times

Advertisements

Am wondering about the best places for a family to live with a "reasonable" commute to Elk Grove Village area? Obviously school quality and housing choices are important (estimate 600-800K for a house).......... Any ideas?

Was thinking about Barrington(s), Arlington Heights, and don't know any others!

THanks for any ideas to begin researching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,971,595 times
600K - 800K is a pretty "fat" part of the market. I know quite a few good values that are much closer to EGV and Chicago than Barrington. From Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills, to Oak Brook and Elmhurst/Bensenville you have a LOT of choices down 83.

Going north Arlington Heights would be an option, as is Mount Prospect.

Heading east Park Ridge is an excellent choice.

EGV is about as central as you can get, but I really think that the keys are what sort of family situation you have / lifestyle you want and what trade offs are important to you.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 PM

Would Lake Forest be an impossible commute?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Impossible? No -- EXTREMELY unpleasant, YES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb View Post
Would Lake Forest be an impossible commute?
While Lake Forest is quite nice, the shear distance and traffic between there and EGV would be VERY taxing. Further for your budget the odds that you would a "prime" or even "choice" home in LF are quite slim...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,399,304 times
Maybe live in Elk Grove Village?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:51 AM

Well school are a consideration...so will research that. At this point Barrington seems to be the top choice (subject to change of course! :-))
Wonder what it is like to live in Barrington Village proper -- are there shops and restaurants you can walk to? Or am I envisioning it all wrong? Hard to do this from across the country!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM

Yes, Barrington has those things. Mind you, it is NOT a super easy commute to EGV (the way Elmhurst, Arlington Heights or Mt. Prospect would be, which also have walkable sections), but the price range you are looking for is almost certainly the "value" portion of the market -- one of the frequent posters here is an active agent in Barrington, perhaps you can work with her...

If short commute time is a factor along with walkable village qualities I think you can do VERY well in the other towns I mentioned, though the price range is trickier. Hinsdale has some inventory at that price point, but much more ABOVE that. Most of Clarendon Hills shares the excellent schools with Hinsdale, but inventory is always thin there due to its tiny size. Elmhurst schools are not showing as consistently good test results as some people would like to (and when relocating / immediately need schools you really should NOT count on future improvement...) but otherwise that would be the best combination... (Oak Brook and Bensensville are not walkable)

Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,617,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efb View Post
Well school are a consideration...so will research that. At this point Barrington seems to be the top choice (subject to change of course! :-))
Wonder what it is like to live in Barrington Village proper -- are there shops and restaurants you can walk to? Or am I envisioning it all wrong? Hard to do this from across the country!
Yes, the Village is very nice and there are plenty of shops/rest. to walk to as well as schools,a great library and parks. We have been more then pleased at the schools and amount of family activities/organizations and the great Park District. The Village has wonderful,charming older homes (and some tear downs thrown in the mix),lovely tree lined streets,and historic homes. Also, a metra station for jaunts downtown. We have outdoor summer concerts, parades, farmers market, a very popular public pool and the park dist has activities,sports,events all year long. Just what one would want in their community. Good luck with your move. You can DM me if you have any specific questions of areas. Also, poster "MiddleAgeMom" is a Barrington village resident and a realtor here who really ''knows her stuff''.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks to all of you..this is very helpful info. "chet everett" - I will look more into your suggestions and "nannie" - your description is very much what we have in mind. Will keep looking and if it gets to be a reality: I will, no doubt have more questions!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,848,940 times
Anywhere off 355/290 to be honest. Heck I make it from Lockport up to EGV in 50 mins or less regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs