Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,598 times

Advertisements

Thank everyone who does support cicero and its progress. I have seen only improvements and yes the town has a great location and affordable. Im an artist and designer and I love that proximity to Oak Park..the architecture of the area is a breath of fresh air its like going back in time. I plan on staying and working with the town to improve..we are an old cicero italian family and proud of the hard working italian families that helped build this town. Its an affordable town for us artsy types who are on a budget and appreciate the cultural aspects of the area. Well I thank all who stayed and go for the improvements..yes we are urban which does carry with it some resistance to problems but moving away dosent always help either..the issues which happen in urban areas are affecting towns all over now..so lets hope and work for the best. I also want to mention that cicero does a lot for seniors and the new town hall and youth complex is a great idea. I know a huge shopping complex and improved metra station are in the works..thanks to Larry Dominick and the improvements the town has made..its not far to downtown, river forest, forest park ,elmwood park or riverside and berwyn and oak park which are all nice places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
I think in time, Cicero will be discovered. It has all the makings of a "hipster" suburb -- interesting architecture and houses (affordable houses), colorful history, and the L runs right through it. Unlike Berwyn and Oak Park, there's a ton of land to build new things on (Hawthorne Park, all of the underutilized factory land, train yards). Hopefully artsy types will start moving in in larger numbers. It would be great for the region.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:47 PM

18 posts, read 87,402 times
I think that at the present time Berwyn would be a better location than Cicero for a single woman. I recommend looking for housing around the Berwyn depot area which I believe is a true up and coming location. I agree that Cicero is beginning to change for the better, but it has a long way to go to reach the level of Berwyn.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 PM

356 posts, read 542,220 times
Why are people commenting on this OLD post from April?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

338 posts, read 616,880 times
I think that someone new to the forum who has moved back into Cicero was heartened by the even-handed responses by many on the thread.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr Oak View Post
I think that at the present time Berwyn would be a better location than Cicero for a single woman. I recommend looking for housing around the Berwyn depot area which I believe is a true up and coming location. I agree that Cicero is beginning to change for the better, but it has a long way to go to reach the level of Berwyn.
i lived in berwyn and please its not safe. if you think safe is walking or driving down the street and seeing a bunch of young punks standing on the road is safe then fine if i was anyone out their i would leve berwyn and go to lagrange or some placein dupage. and if you were planing to move their.DONT IF YOU LOVE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR FAMILY DONT MOVE THEIR.
their was a killing in i believe 2002 in hte alie of 14 and east ave and the police never found the person who did it please dont live their

Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey12 View Post
i lived in berwyn and please its not safe. if you think safe is walking or driving down the street and seeing a bunch of young punks standing on the road is safe then fine if i was anyone out their i would leve berwyn and go to lagrange or some placein dupage. and if you were planing to move their.DONT IF YOU LOVE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR FAMILY DONT MOVE THEIR.
their was a killing in i believe 2002 in hte alie of 14 and east ave and the police never found the person who did it please dont live their
I love it when trolls dont even make an attempt to sound intelligent.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I love it when trolls dont even make an attempt to sound intelligent.
"hte alie of 14"?? Sounds like a French pastry shop, hehe

Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM

142 posts, read 427,151 times
I think their is two much negative stereotypes about Berwyn. If someone wants to live their it is plenty safe, just stay out of the alies and your going to bee safe.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Well, maybe we can put in an hte alie of 14 pastry shop and spruce up our image a bit, heh. Yes, the town definitely gets a bad rap, and I think all of us know the real reason why. It has nothing to do with crime. That is, as they say, a subterfuge. No sense getting upset about it though, it is what it is. Good news is that we’re years past the white flight stage and those left are generally folks who view diversity as a positive. The ignorant panicked element that’s starting to surface in Elmwood Park left a long time ago, leaving us with a better community, IMHO. There are many young and motivated residents (Hispanic, white and black) working to improve the schools, encourage business development, proactively address crime, market the community outside Berwyn, etc. It’s a fun place to be right now, with a lot of energy and a sort of “us v. them” mentality.

Hopefully we can help reform some bigoted attitudes by our actions and results. I think in 10 years, people are going to be very surprised by Berwyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs