Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 38,532 times

Advertisements

Homer Glen?

OK.... Thinking about buying a home in Homer Glen. Originally we had thought to move to Lemont but have found several homes we like in Homer much more in our price range that provide close access to many of the things that would draw us to Lemont (Lithuanian world center as an example)

So far... I hear mostly good things about the Homer community and schools (we have a seven year old son, so schools are a driving force). I see improvements in line for Parker/143rd...the 355 extension, a new shopping complex. I'm anxious to see how the school referendums go next week for 33c and 205.

How bad are the water bills? Trash collection? Anyone have any other thoughts on Homer?

Thanks in advance for any postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,154,758 times
Water bills are awful, $500-600 a month in some cases. Reason being, it's a private utility that provides water. Their meters are faulty, but they won't admit it. So, you get billed for many times more water useage as someone with an identical home in a neighboring town.

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=21242 (broken link)

The town was incorporated to preserve open space, and and maintain a suburban/rural balance. This is an ongoing debate in town, as to whether they are living up to this goal. Personally, I think they're doing a good job with it. There is plenty of local shopping and dining in town, but it never really feels congested.

The 355 extension won't be of much use if you're trying to get to work in DuPage county. As it is now, 355 is jammed solid in the mornings, heading north from the Stevenson, and the southbound side is at a standstill in the evenings. It'll be a lot more direct then the options available now, but it won't be quick.

The biggest problem with Will County is they should have upgraded the 2 lane farm roads a decade ago, or more. They also need to be realigned, because after a couple of miles, many of them are offset by a quarter mile or so. There are plans to curve some of the roads so they meet and flow smoothly. However, lack of money, and continued development make road improvements very difficult now. This can result in lengthy backups at some intersections.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 38,532 times
Thanks... I've read about the SA investigation, the lawsuits and the legislation. Just looking for more feedback of what bills are like and how that mess is effecting residents.
...as for the commute, I'm slightly off peak and deal with a near west (Oak Park) commute to Dupage atm, so 355 is a plus.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 12,441 times
Hello. My fiance and I are also considering a move to Homer Glen. We live in the western suburbs, but the houses here are too expensive. I grew up in Orland and it's a great suburb, but much too crowded for my style. Homer Glen is 10 minutes from the shopping in Orland, but without the congestion and tons of overbuilt subdivisions!

The biggest issue with Homer Glen (that I know about) is the tax situation...they are considerably higher than most established communities since the area is new and there aren't many businesses to share the tax burden. I heard about the water bill situation and I'm checking with my realtor on this issue; she knows several people who live in Homer Glen.

I hope more people respond with info on this town!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 26,182 times
district 92 (lockport ) schools are much better

Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,488,589 times
Save yourself the hassel of moving into a town that is still trying to get it's act together and just move into Orland Park along Will-Cook Rd. This area is IDENTICAL to Homer Glen, yet lies just within Cook county so you are not subjected to the horrific unpredictable property taxes that Will County residents are faced with year after year. Orland Park is a stable town with a low tax structure which refunds it's residents all of their village paid property taxes by simply mailing you a check for about $400 every March! The water is fed from the City of Chicago so it's Lake Michigan water which is nice, and the schools are excellent! There are plenty of conviences at your disposal such as restaurants and stores and its all within a 10 minute drive from the Will Cook Road area. One thing friends of mine have said that moved out of Orland Park a couple of years ago to nearby Lockport, is that even though Orland's traffic is bad and that was their reason for moving, it didn't matter because for everything they do, they have to come into Orland, so now not only do they have to sit in traffic in Orland, but they have to drive to the traffic jam too. So, now instead of sitting in traffic to get to a store for 15 minutes, they get to sit in the stopped traffic for 15 minutes, plus the additional 20 minutes just to get to the area by driving down the little 2 lane farm roads Will county has to offer to get you into Orland! LOL!

Do yourself a favor and just move to the other side of Will Cook Road and you can take advantage of all Orland Park has to offer and still be in an area just like Homer Glen.

Last edited by NYrules; 08-10-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 PM

713 posts, read 1,953,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Save yourself the hassel of moving into a town that is still trying to get it's act together and just move into Orland Park along Will-Cook Rd. This area is IDENTICAL to Homer Glen, yet lies just within Cook county so you are not subjected to the horrific unpredictable property taxes that Will County residents are faced with year after year. Orland Park is a stable town with a low tax structure which refunds it's residents all of their village paid property taxes by simply mailing you a check for about $400 every March! The water is fed from the City of Chicago so it's Lake Michigan water which is nice, and the schools are excellent! There are plenty of conviences at your disposal such as restaurants and stores and its all within a 10 minute drive from the Will Cook Road area. One thing friends of mine have said that moved out of Orland Park a couple of years ago to nearby Lockport, is that even though Orland's traffic is bad and that was their reason for moving, it didn't matter because for everything they do, they have to come into Orland, so now not only do they have to sit in traffic in Orland, but they have to drive to the traffic jam too. So, now instead of sitting in traffic to get to a store for 15 minutes, they get to sit in the stopped traffic for 15 minutes, plus the additional 20 minutes just to get to the area by driving down the little 2 lane farm roads Will county has to offer to get you into Orland! LOL!

Do yourself a favor and just move to the other side of Will Cook Road and you can take advantage of all Orland Park has to offer and still be in an area just like Homer Glen.

If you move just accross WillCook rd. be prepare to drop a million on a house.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,488,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
If you move just accross WillCook rd. be prepare to drop a million on a house.

Yes if you are talking about Silo Ridge and Grandview on 151st St, but there are some areas like Brook Hills down on the SW tip of town that you can find stuff for under $500K as well as near 135th and Will Cook.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,529,868 times
My sister-in-law lives at 167th and Wolf in Orland and the homes in her subdivision are very nice and under $500K.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,025 times
Smile Almost bought in Homer Glen

I almost bought a home in Homer Glen and then I checked out the taxes and water bills. Before you buy check out the neighbors bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs