Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

89 posts, read 261,418 times

Advertisements

I live in Geneva and am very happy with the Geneva schools. A friend of mine who has two young ones is going to be moving to the area and asked me what schools would be best for that is the most important factor to her. I was wondering in what order would you rank the following schools and are there any facts behind that. She is looking at homes in which the following schools would service. Thank you.

Geneva
St. Charles East
St. Charles North
Batavia
Kaneland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,157,040 times
I think the question of having "young ones" should make the schools a large consideration for relocation, but as others have stated before the fact is that even folks w/o kids benefit from the stablizing effect of desirable schools.

Sadly none of the schools cited are rated by US News, and that leaves only the weak reports that rely too heavily on ACT and/or ISAT scores.

For truly useful comparisons there are simply too few valid measures of school quality. That leaves some rather subjective measures, and I believe that the actual DATA from historic pricing trends is at least as reliable / valuable a predictor of OVERALL desirability, which incorporates preference for schools as well as other factors...

As "double check" one can do the comparisons of EAV/student to "back check" as almost without exception the schools with greater resources per student (which therefore are likely to have lower tax rates and less unfilled needs) are more desirable. Such data can be found from the online report cards. Interactive Illinois Report Card

Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,627,531 times
depends on what you are looking for. kaneland is the smallest of the schools, st. charles schools are the largest. All are desirable schools and well-thought of. at the elementary age, I would be checking how many kids are in a classroom and the condition of the elementary schools..how well-equipped are they. we have lived in the kaneland district for 22 years, our oldest graduated in 2007 and our youngest is starting high school this year. both are excellent students and involved in athletics etc. we have been very pleased.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM

342 posts, read 1,230,111 times
all of the schools are good. i go to batavia. it is cool but it kinds of gets boring after a while. batavia and st. charles east are the only ones that are kind of diverse. geneva and st. charles north have the best test scores. kaneland has the worst and the towns are really country and spread out.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM

89 posts, read 261,418 times
Thanks for the response people. I think all schools are good. The only one I hear is iffy is the Kaneland School for it is so spread out and is more country than suburban. I know my friend will freak out if her school is surrounded by corn and farmers for Randall Road is about as far west as she will go.
Any ideas on private schools? Let me clarify, middle and high schools for both public and private. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
I'd go with St. Charles East for the facilities. Quality of education is perfectly acceptable at all of the above, though maybe Batavia is a small step below the others.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,627,531 times
for private, there is Rosary, for girls, Marmion, for boys, Aurora Central Catholic, coed. Aurora Christian, coed..all in aurora. St. Edward in Elgin; St. Francis in Wheaton..those are some of the private schools around.All are excellent for education and athletics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs