Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM

97 posts, read 144,057 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much gives the question away, I am looking for recommendations on good health and fitness clubs in the WS / LG area. My family is considering moving to this area and a good health club is an important part of our routine. Ideally we'd like a club with free weights, weigh machines, several group fitness classes per day to choose from, and while not a deal breaker, an olympic sized pool would be nice. We are not opposed to the YMCA or local rec center, assuming it offers the ammenities mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The LaGrange YMCA has moved to a pathetic storefront facility in LaGrange Park, as they were attempting to embark on a major swap / overhaul of their older building that did have a serviceable pool, but too many 'rental rooms' for people to be happy with.

That leaves a big hole in downtown LaGrange. There is limited communinty access to an indoor pool at Lyons Township High, and Riverside Brookfield redid their pool recently. Not sure if Loyola has pool, but I know that they do have a nice "cardio and strength' facility. Some folks from that area truck down to Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge or the the Five Seasons and Midtown facilities...

Outdoor pools include Field Club and Western Springs community pool.

Really a shame that LaGrange Y had such lousy timing...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM

97 posts, read 144,057 times
As always, thanks for the reply Chet. Would it be correct to say Midtown is the nearest club of its kind? Google Map says it is 14 minutes from Burlington and LG Road. Does that seem realistic or is more accurately double that?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
Five Seasons in Burr Ridge is marginal at best. The attitudes throughout the building range from indifferent to rude and unprofessional - even some board members quit a while back. If you need to talk to the GM, it will take about two years to get a return call and the trainers are all about sales - not about helping people - they're not even friendly. We're switching to LifeTime in July.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,501,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel67 View Post
The title pretty much gives the question away, I am looking for recommendations on good health and fitness clubs in the WS / LG area. My family is considering moving to this area and a good health club is an important part of our routine. Ideally we'd like a club with free weights, weigh machines, several group fitness classes per day to choose from, and while not a deal breaker, an olympic sized pool would be nice. We are not opposed to the YMCA or local rec center, assuming it offers the ammenities mentioned above.
Most people in LaGrange go to Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge. The cheapskates like me go (went, actually, I am an empty-nester living in Chicago now) to Bally's in Countryside, which has the advantage of being bikeable from most of LG/WS/Highlands.

And just so you know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Bally's in Countryside. I think the issue is that the crowd is maybe just a little too blue collar for some people in LaGrange, although you will also see a fair number of the well-to-do's at Bally's, too.

As for pools, the La Grange Field Club is what most people belong for those few fleeting years between getting off the waiting list and realizing that their kids don't really care for it enough to justify the cost. The place is dead, and I mean DEAD, unlike the Western Springs pool which is lively.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

73 posts, read 163,575 times
Western Springs has Elite Fitness in their downtown, which offers classes, cardio equipment, and weights. Cardinal Fitness in Countryside offers a cheap, bare bones, but generally clean fitness center. Lifetime is the closest fitness center that has all of the amenities you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs