U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM

59 posts, read 224,246 times

Advertisements

My 60 year old, divorced Mother is underemployed and is having a hard time managing her money and finding a place she can afford to live. Right now she is spending her saving/retirement every month to just get by. The HUD site has been quite hard to navigate. I can only find info for Chicago or Cook county. Where can I send her to apply for Section 8 in Kane or McHenry counties?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,983,449 times
Default Section 8 and Food Stamps

If your mother is in need perhaps she should contact a social worker. She may also qualify for Food Stamps in addition to Section 8 vouchers for her rent. It sounds as if she may need the help.

If she is underemployed, this indicates to me that she may have some skills or education that may be useful to an employer and should be seeking out other jobs as well, though at 60 it may be tough for her to find another job that pays well, but you never know.

Where does she live? Perhaps she should work with a local government office near where she lives.

Hope she finds the help she needs.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,983,449 times
Default She is employed

US Traveler,

Her mother is employed, albeit underemployed. I am sure making a minimum wage or equivalent has caused her to seek public housing aid. Perhaps, she just needs to get a better job but times are tough. She is at least working, unlike many.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If your mother is in need perhaps she should contact a social worker. She may also qualify for Food Stamps in addition to Section 8 vouchers for her rent. It sounds as if she may need the help.
Any suggestions on finding a counselor? I called HUD, they referred me back to the HUD website. I suspect the person on the phone didn't know the answers and didn't want to ask

She does have a job, but the pay sucks. The job market for an older person and her lack of motivation prevent her from searching very hard. I admit much of the problem is her fault, but we all have to work with what we have...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,333,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
My 60 year old, divorced Mother is underemployed and is having a hard time managing her money and finding a place she can afford to live. Right now she is spending her saving/retirement every month to just get by. The HUD site has been quite hard to navigate. I can only find info for Chicago or Cook county. Where can I send her to apply for Section 8 in Kane or McHenry counties?
Can't she move in with you and get a job at McDonald's or something until she can draw Social Security?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 AM

88 posts, read 214,809 times
She is in a difficult position, would suggest contacting Kane County Human Services. She will be assigned a social worker to assist. Be prepared for filling out stacks of paperwork and provide documents regarding her financials. That's where you can help, prepare a three ring binder with the documentation that the social worker can keep. Also, make sure that you write down each and every time you talk with someone noting date, time of day and what transpired.

I know this sounds like quite a bit of work, however, you will be ahead of the game if your Mom is prepared. Good luck and I hope for the best for you both.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,297,116 times
Answer the OP's question or do not post at all. Any further off-topic responders will be infracted.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 PM

65 posts, read 207,972 times
Try apartments.com and make a few phone calls.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM

20,143 posts, read 14,503,052 times
You may have the cart before the horse. Your MIL has to apply for assistance and pass eligibility tests. If approved and that's a big if, there is usually a wait list.

Section 8 priority is given to low income families, disabled and elderly.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately I volunteer at a food pantry and see rampant abuse of food stamps, S8, and other programs by some of the participants. That leaves little in reserve for someone who just needs a helping hand. .gov sure does make honest people jump through a lot of hoops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs