U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM

5,268 posts, read 8,084,659 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your input GoCubs. I don't disagree that it's necessarily a bad thing at all - just perhaps too little too late. But then again we don't really have a choice.

At this point, they are saying there will not be any additional fees - except what we already pay for our yearly inspection. And you'll have to take a refresher course every 3 years.

The things that positively irritated me is ...

The people running the program have no real world property management/ownership experience. Apparently, those that can't do, teach.

Their residency requirement. A landlord will be required to live within 25 miles or appoint a property manager who does. Nice. How is that even legal?

What really pissed me off is that they positioned the argument as, "you landlords are running a business and you must treat it as such." And as soon as they require every brick & mortar business in Cal City to have an owner that resides in their limits, I'll apologize profusely from the top of City Hall with a bullhorn.

Oh. And as soon as Michelle moves back to Cal City from Indiana I'll buy their residency requirement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
As a landlord, I've participated in the "Crime free Housing Program" in Schaumburg for about 10 years. I think it's a good thing. But I know Schaumburg is a lot different than Cal City. Schaumburg is safer with a good rental market and the Ordinace is more preventative in nature. I agree that it may be a little late in coming for CC...

I have never actually had to invoke the statute to have police remove a tenant for illegal activity (but it's nice to know I could). I believe the police can remove tenants for a wide range of "suspected illegal activity." So, to me, it protects landlords, communities, and property values.

I also did not find the statute particularly cumbersome to landlords. I did have to attend a somewhat boring (1-time only) weekend course on it though (I think it may have been free - can't remember). But I did learn some things about how to identify crime/gangs, tenant/landlord law, and I also connected with other property owners. All in all, it wasn't a complete waste of time. And interestingly, our properties located in Schaumburg have retained higher property values than our properties in communities that do not have this ordinance (coincidence?)...

Also, in the towns where we own property, we have always been required to purchase rental business licenses. The "Crime Free Ordinance Certificate" is a requirement of the business license and I don't believe there was an increased fee for this. It was also very easy to add the "Crime Free Lease Addendum" to my existing leases. But again, I'm sure each town implements this law differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,213,118 times
Seems like too little too late.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,316,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And you'll have to take a refresher course every 3 years.

The things that positively irritated me is ...

The people running the program have no real world property management/ownership experience. Apparently, those that can't do, teach.

Their residency requirement. A landlord will be required to live within 25 miles or appoint a property manager who does. Nice. How is that even legal?

What really pissed me off is that they positioned the argument as, "you landlords are running a business and you must treat it as such." And as soon as they require every brick & mortar business in Cal City to have an owner that resides in their limits, I'll apologize profusely from the top of City Hall with a bullhorn.
Yeh, the CC argument sounds really condescending towards landlords...

In Schaumburg, they don't have the 3 year refresher course requirement nor the residency requirement. Also, the course was taught by the police/public safety dept at the Police Station. The instructor, a policeman, was a really nice guy who gave us his cell # and told us to call him directly if we suspected tenant crime and wanted to evict a "problem" tenant. It sounded like he would help us with the Ordinance paperwork required to immediately evict the tenant (no drawn-out 30-day Notice To Quit required).

Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM

I have the new ordinance right here and I'm curious if other communities with the Crime Free Ordinance are requiring the home phone number and home address of landlord?

Actually here's what they want: Name, home address & business address of the Landlord; a home phone number, work phone number, cellular phone number and facsimilie number of the Landlord. No PO Boxes accepted.

And if you designate a representative, they want all that info on them.

And THEN, you need to reside within city limits (there is no mileage radius) or appoint someone who lives in Cook County.

They will NOT be getting my home address. Nor my home phone. They want me to run my buildings as a business (and I do) then they will treat it as such - they will NOT contact me at my place of residence.

God am I pissed.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM

3,715 posts, read 6,872,725 times
Quote:
I have the new ordinance right here and I'm curious if other communities with the Crime Free Ordinance are requiring the home phone number and home address of landlord?

Actually here's what they want: Name, home address & business address of the Landlord; a home phone number, work phone number, cellular phone number and facsimilie number of the Landlord. No PO Boxes accepted.

And THEN, you need to reside within city limits (there is no mileage radius) or appoint someone who lives in Cook County.

They will NOT be getting my home address. Nor my home phone. They want me to run my buildings as a business (and I do) then they will treat it as such - they will NOT contact me at my place of residence.

God am I pissed.
You usually have to give this information when you apply for a business license or liquor license.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You usually have to give this information when you apply for a business license or liquor license.
I've always been able to use our attorney's address as our LLC's address. Never our home address. Ever.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 6,872,725 times
Quote:
I've always been able to use our attorney's address as our LLC's address. Never our home address. Ever.
What if you didn't have an attorney? You'd need to give an address.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
What if you didn't have an attorney? You'd need to give an address.

I'm not saying I don't want to provide an address.

I'm not saying I don't want to provide a phone number.

I'm not saying I don't want to provide a fax number or email address.

Hell, our property tax bill and our rent checks have to go SOMEWHERE, right?

What I'm saying is that there is no reason to have to provide our home address or home phone number.

And there is absolutely no reason that they can't continue to go to our PO Box. And there's no reason that we should have to designate a Cook County agent. None. Zip. We've never been fined. We've never been cited. We don't have a high crime building. We always pass our yearly inspections (and we have two - one by the city and one by the state boiler inspector) with flying colors. (And we pay for both those inspections too.)

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,316,441 times
Quote:

I looked at the Schaumburg ordinance. It does not have a landlord residency requirement. However, it does require you to designate a rep if you live out-of-state. It asks for a "corporate address/phone" and not a home address. So I believe a PO Box would be ok (does not indicate otherwise).

I can see why you're annoyed. If you're running the buildings as a business, why must you provide a personal address/phone for public record? Plus, do you really want tenants to have access to this info? Correspondence should be sent to a corporate address (that's how we have it set up) or LLC address (as you have set up) for limited liability...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,510,625 times
I hope that Calumet can pick up the pieces. Nice area, and the mall is well designed and would be destined for success in the right environment. Too bad that it's going through this hard time.

I have had family members move from there after generations of homes being passed on...but when the crime goes through the roof in your immediate community, and you are fed up...then it's time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs