U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,606 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Been reading a lot of posts and decided to finally register and start asking myself.

We are a gay couple, one works in Schaumburg and the other in Brookfield, and are looking to purchase a home (condo/townhouse/house) somewhere central to both places AND has a train station into the city. We are actually pretty conservative and extremely committed, and plan to have kids in about 5-8 years, so want something that will appreciate significantly in that amount of time, but that we don't have to pay a lot of maintenance on in the meantime.

The areas we are focused on have been Roselle, Medinah, Itasca, and Wood Dale. Particularly Wood Dale due to some new construction in the small "downtown" area. If anyone has any input on Wood Dale I would really appreciate it! For example, is the downtown area honestly "up and coming" or is it slowing like I've read its neighbor Bensenville is?

Also, if you have any comments about the gay-friendliness of the community I would really appreciate it. I noticed that statistically it has a slightly higher percentage than its neighbors that was self-reported, but wasn't sure that that meant exactly.

The other option is to skip all of these and look in Arlington Heights downtown area and withstand the rough commute to Brookfield from there. We aren't interested in moving to the city (nice to visit, not live), but do like some of the small downtown areas in the burbs, of which Arlington Heights' is among the best...

So, really, ANY input you have on our situation would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 AM

58 posts, read 181,806 times
apartmentguide.com
http://www.realtor.com/illinois/nbselil.asp?poe=realtor (broken link)

try any of those, though i am not sure of the response of the community about a gay couple.

i hope those links help you out and if you need any other help feel free to contact me

caminoel1227@gmail.com

Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,001 times
Default Wood Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighedwaise View Post
Hi everyone! Been reading a lot of posts and decided to finally register and start asking myself.

We are a gay couple, one works in Schaumburg and the other in Brookfield, and are looking to purchase a home (condo/townhouse/house) somewhere central to both places AND has a train station into the city. We are actually pretty conservative and extremely committed, and plan to have kids in about 5-8 years, so want something that will appreciate significantly in that amount of time, but that we don't have to pay a lot of maintenance on in the meantime.

The areas we are focused on have been Roselle, Medinah, Itasca, and Wood Dale. Particularly Wood Dale due to some new construction in the small "downtown" area. If anyone has any input on Wood Dale I would really appreciate it! For example, is the downtown area honestly "up and coming" or is it slowing like I've read its neighbor Bensenville is?

Also, if you have any comments about the gay-friendliness of the community I would really appreciate it. I noticed that statistically it has a slightly higher percentage than its neighbors that was self-reported, but wasn't sure that that meant exactly.

The other option is to skip all of these and look in Arlington Heights downtown area and withstand the rough commute to Brookfield from there. We aren't interested in moving to the city (nice to visit, not live), but do like some of the small downtown areas in the burbs, of which Arlington Heights' is among the best...

So, really, ANY input you have on our situation would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!
Since you're looking in Wood Dale I have a deal for you. We are in the new townhouse developement on the corner of Wood Dale rd and Devon ave. Beautiful homes, My wife and I are looking to relocate due to my job and would welcome a fair price for our unit. a 2/3 bedroom corner unit with all of the up grades. Since it is a new developement, the monthly assessment is low and the train is a short ride down Wood Dale Rd to Irving Park.

Claude

Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM

21,616 posts, read 36,683,059 times
Downers Grove is probably a among the best bets for your situation. The train service to Chicago is top notch. There are active gay couples in DG, that have found it friendly. It is mostly a quiet sort of activism, but I believe one of the local churches had some supportive involvement of the gay clergy thing and there is a DG Realtor that has actively helped others in your situation.

You may not remember that the long time home base for Illinois' most out spoken anti-gay congressmen was the Wood Dale/Bensenville/Itasca/Medinah district of Henry Hyde...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,572,724 times
.... my he rest in peace.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
Did you end up selling your unit in Wood Dale?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM

8,431 posts, read 6,969,400 times
Wood Dale? I worked there for a few years and would not classify it as a gay-friendly community. Probably Des Plaines or Niles of you want to stay in the suburbs. A few months ago someone suggested Geneva, but I don't know how serious that was.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,240,218 times
My mom lives there. I don't see it as gay friendly. I think there are better places to live. I don't like it much not too many amenities. Not really bad but not good either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs