Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I think it's always helpful when posters like Homeiswhere provide an accurate description of where they live, and it's this kind of specificity about towns like Oak Park, Evanston etc... that make the difference, because more often than not, the cons that are perceived, are often projected to be way worse than reality, from uninformed posters.

Point is, it's all too easy to make generalized and uninformed judgements on a place when one doesn't live, has never lived, in that certain town, and is overwhelmingly reliant on data without the necessary analysis to make the data meaningful. .
Interesting view. I'm suprised at the depth of ignorance and prejudice against communities with larger minority populations to be honest. I wasn't equipped to understand that having grown up in Elmhurst and even after moving to Berwyn it took a long time for it to start to make any sense whatsoever to me. I didn't understand why people were telling me it had high crime when it didn't, or that it had bad schools when they were scoring very high on the ISAT.

Now I understand the reasons. It's either the ignorance and prejudice you cite or, more dangerous, former and a few current residents who need for their own reasons to justify their ignorance and prejudice. I suppose all we can do is tell the truth, though you tend to find yourself addressing the same things over and over again, which gets exasperating. With some people it will make a difference, with others it will not. They'll continue to hold the same views no matter what you say. You have to focus on those who really don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yes but I have a feeling this would NOT be a selling point to the person who resurrected the thread.
Personally, part of me is a still a little disappointed that I didn't end up in Riverside, Oark Park, River Forest, or another inner ring Cook County suburb, because I really liked the vibe of the area, including the offerings of Berwyn. We were so... close... to moving there.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,773,911 times
Quote:
Interesting view. I'm suprised at the depth of ignorance and prejudice against communities with larger minority populations to be honest. I wasn't equipped to understand that having grown up in Elmhurst and even after moving to Berwyn it took a long time for it to start to make any sense whatsoever to me. I didn't understand why people were telling me it had high crime when it didn't, or that it had bad schools when they were scoring very high on the ISAT.

Now I understand the reasons. It's either the ignorance and prejudice you cite or, more dangerous, former and a few current residents who need for their own reasons to justify their ignorance and prejudice. I suppose all we can do is tell the truth, though you tend to find yourself addressing the same things over and over again, which gets exasperating. With some people it will make a difference, with others it will not. They'll continue to hold the same views no matter what you say. You have to focus on those who really don't know.
I agree, and interesting to read your personally experience.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 31,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I drive by, walk through, and have lived very near the area of "the island" and four corners area of Cicero, Chicago, and Oak Park and although it is certainly not the crown jewel of Chicagoland suburbs and it may have some problems every now and again, it is not by definition, a "bad area" of Oak Park. I actually think it has improved over the years and will only get better.

The Island, a gem on Chicago's West Side

Austin neighborhood guide - Chicago neighborhoods

OPRF is a great school with many amenities AND all of the problems that one may experience and expect in our day and time. What sets it apart from schools which are not quite so successful is the level of involvement not only from the parents and families of its student population but the from the community as well.

Children face a multitude of circumstances and experiences during their lives and more times than not they will be influenced by the collective efforts of their community and their environment.

Having said that, what do you think is the "best feature" of River Forest?
I think the schools and also the law enforcement and how the area is kept in good shape

Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM

624 posts, read 1,067,390 times
Quote:

Now, which schools are you talking about? Berwyn, IL, right? Morton West, right?

PSAE Test Results

Where do you get that the school is high scoring? Nothing wrong with liking Berwyn, IL but I would not live there if I cared for my children's education.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Now, which schools are you talking about? Berwyn, IL, right? Morton West, right?

PSAE Test Results

Where do you get that the school is high scoring? Nothing wrong with liking Berwyn, IL but I would not live there if I cared for my children's education.
If you'll re-read my post, I referenced the ISAT, not the PSAE. The ISAT is the test for elementary schools. I correctly said that several Berwyn schools have done well on this test in the recent past (most notably Emerson). Morton West is a high school and thus the students there don't take the ISAT, they take the PSAE. If you'll re-read my posts, you'll see that I said that Morton West is not a very good school.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,693 times
I grew up in River Forest-attended River Forest schools and graduated from OPRFHS. My education was top notch all the way. I decided to attend UW Madison because I felt the strong desire to get out of the River Forest/Oak Park clique thing. It seemed that everyone I knew was going to college at Champaign-Urbana so I went another direction. I have never gone back other than to visit my parents who still live there. The village is lovely. If you like stately homes of the 1920's vintage you will find many homes to choose from-at a high price! I have to say that I was shocked when I recently came back for a high school reunion and found that many of the "kids" who were more popular in my class growing up are now married and raising families in River Forest, just like like their parents and grandparents before them. Overall, I found it to be cliquey growing up and it seems to still be that way, as least in my age group (I'm 45).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs