U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM

89 posts, read 147,209 times
Big lake, there has been no moronic talk. Chicago is a great suprise for it's visitors, that is all. Now back on topic, I would say the most well known in the midwest would probably be Evanston due to Northwestern University and the Big Ten. With the Wildcats having some impressive seasons, they have really gone on the map, have always been on the map acedemically.
After that I would say Oak Park(Wright), Naperville(last 10 years in spotlight, i.e. Money Magazine), and Gurnee(Six Flags).

Again, those would be the most well known. Obviously the north shore is the most wealthy, but 99% of people who know about the north shore live in Chicagoland. Very few people in say Ohio could name the North Shore suburbs, but could name Evanston due to the Big Ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,062,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
Big lake, there has been no moronic talk. Chicago is a great suprise for it's visitors, that is all. Now back on topic, I would say the most well known in the midwest would probably be Evanston due to Northwestern University and the Big Ten. With the Wildcats having some impressive seasons, they have really gone on the map, have always been on the map acedemically.
After that I would say Oak Park(Wright), Naperville(last 10 years in spotlight, i.e. Money Magazine), and Gurnee(Six Flags).

Again, those would be the most well known. Obviously the north shore is the most wealthy, but 99% of people who know about the north shore live in Chicagoland. Very few people in say Ohio could name the North Shore suburbs, but could name Evanston due to the Big Ten.
Sorry for singling you out, but it does not take much to spoil a good topic. The initial comments came off (to me) as brazen.

Anyway-- agreed w/ your points on Evanston. Northwestern -- w/ its BigTen affilation-- make Evanston very well-known. It's a high-profile school with great academics that pulls from all over the US. It's theater dept. alone (its graduates) has contributed significantly to Northwestern's prominence.

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,465,481 times
People here flock into the city here during the summer for one very simple reason. It is the ONLY time of the year where the weather is considered pleasureable for about 90% of the population. Who the hell wants to be out walking around going store to store or playing in a park with it 40-50 degrees and NE winds howling in off the lake about 30-40 mph whipping you around and if you're lucky enough you can add in some rain or if you're REALLY lucky; snow? Seriously, until about 2 weeks ago, the weather up against the lake front sucked. Mid 50s with damp winds racing inland is not what I would call pleasureable, thus I had no desire to go into the city where that weather was prevelant. I'd prefer to stay inland where it was at least near 70 and somewhat sunny and sorry, but no part of the city is inland enough to escape the "lake effect", you have to go way inland to get away from that, which would be the burbs. NYC's weather sucks too, but it is nowhere near as changeable as Chicago's is and at least they get a spring when the calendar says it's spring unlike here where depending on what direction the winds are blowing you have no idea what you're going to get, this year being a perfect example where it was winter winter winter winter and then bam summer, 90 degrees!.... Now today, thanks to a southerly shift in the winds, it is a whole different city basically than it was 2 weeks ago. Mid 80s, calm gentle winds, humid, brillant sun, now this is my cup of tea and on that note, I think I will venture into the city this weekend to enjoy our city.

Last edited by NYrules; 06-22-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs