Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times

Advertisements

In addition to a few of the recos above, you need to look at La Grange, La Grange Park, and Western Springs. There are forest preserves aplenty in that corridor, and downtown La Grange and downtown Hinsdale offer some entertainment near the train stations. I strongly prefer this area to Elmhurst.

Oak Park sounds like a good match for you. I'd look there first, but realize that crime can be an issue for some people. Crime in Oak Park is comparable to what you would find in a nice North Side neighborhood on the lake, so for me it's not a huge deal. The border with Chicago can be a problem, however, so you may want to keep a buffer.

Do you need good schools? If so, you'll want to avoid Forest Park. Berwyn is a mixed bag in this department too, and Elmwood Park is only so-so.

*edit* Nevermind, I see that you don't have school-age kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,499 times
I would go with Forest Park. It's got a nice, affordable housing stock, very diverse, plus it has the Blue Line or the Green Line (at Harlem) for your partner to commute into downtown, and I-290 for your reverse commute to Elmhurst. Plus it has some nightlife & good shopping on Madison, plus it's right next to Oak Park's shopping & nightlife. Oak Park would be great, too, but it's a lot less affordable.

LK, I'm assuming that since the OP said their kids were grown, that schools would not be an issue.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Forest Park has a great entertainment strip along Madison Street, but I rarely find any nice residential blocks there. The residential streets often feel run down and bland--especially compared to its gorgeous neighbors Oak Park and River Forest.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Compared to Oak Park & River Forest most places would like run down & bland. Aren't most of the homes in River Forest near the million dollar range? Forest Park, much like Berwyn is much maligned, but seems to be turning itself around.

To me, the only reason to move to La Grange, Western Springs, etc would be for schools. They just seem like blah suburbia to me.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Blah suburbia with older homes on tree-lined streets and nice, walkable downtowns near train stations. Sure. And of course, there's the forest preserves with the bike trails and what not. The OP sounded like he wanted some nature.

The historic district of La Grange looks a lot like northwestern Oak Park, but comes at a much lower price. Forest Park has Madison Street, and that's about it. Bad schools, bad housing stock, crime. If I'm going to put up with some urban grit I at least want a charming setting with good architecture. Maywood is prettier than Forest Park, for chrissakes.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 06-29-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Your opinion. Also, I was looking for something that might be a middle ground between the partner working in Chicago, and the OP working in Elmhurst. LaGrange is not really midway. Yes, you have your cute, charming 3 block long downtown along the train, and miles of ugly, cookie-cutter tract homes beyond that. Oh, and can't forget those strip malls! Sorry, I'm just not a real big fan of far-flung overly sanitized suburbia.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
LK:

I think there are some lovely houses here and there in FP, but overall only a tiny number are on attractive blocks. I don't know the details of who developed FB / when it was experienced growth, but it does not have the cohesive visuals of other towns. I personally know folks that have some craftsmen style homes that would cost hundreds of thousands more in OP/RF and the schools are only part of the reason -- even in Berwyn's "gold coast" the fact is that homes that compliment each other add tremendous to the curb appeal, and few blocks in FP have that going for them.

Mister Mappy:

"miles of tract homes" in LaGrange? Dude you really don't know LaGrange.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Your opinion. Also, I was looking for something that might be a middle ground between the partner working in Chicago, and the OP working in Elmhurst. LaGrange is not really midway. Yes, you have your cute, charming 3 block long downtown along the train, and miles of ugly, cookie-cutter tract homes beyond that. Oh, and can't forget those strip malls! Sorry, I'm just not a real big fan of far-flung overly sanitized suburbia.
About half of La Grange is beautiful, historic tree-lined blocks. Basically everything north of 47th Street. It's not a very big town.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 AM

216 posts, read 723,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Forest park, Oak Park, parts of Berwyn would be OK. Stay on the train line, all of these burbs, have el access. If you want to go farther west, Wheaton and Glen Ellyn have trains to the city as well but it is a longer commute. Elmhurst is very expensive and very non-diverse.

The north end of Elmhurst is more affordable (There are three 4-bed, brick tri-levels ranging from 380k to 440k that I can think of immediately) and more diverse with the benefits of 205 schools. North side schools have a great mix of white, black, asian, and hispanic. Over 20 languages represented at Churchville M.S. This would be the area east of York and south of Grand for the most part. It is a welcoming community overall.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I agree that there are lots of options in Elmhurst. The core (south of north ave to north of St. Charles) is the preferred section for those who like to walk to train. The southern portion has many desirable blocks and offers excellent access to Oak Brook and other driving option, soon will be new home to Elmhurst Memorial Hospital very snazzy facility. North portion is more convenient to O'Hare and has some less pricey options. Really have to know what you are looking for and why, but the options are there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs