Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:08 AM

88 posts, read 323,855 times

Advertisements

Are you looking for a school district that will embrace your daughters ethnicity?

I can speak for Elmhurst, it is a wonderful area to raise a child and the school district provides a good academic foundation (IMHO). A lovely suburb with strong family values and good proximity to all modes of transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 332,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I hear Carbondale is good for families.
Carbondale is a little far out.

I think Peoria has everything that he is looking for.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 AM

211 posts, read 529,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poincare View Post
This doesn't really help. I'm looking for information on the best place to raise the family. To answer your question, I will be working in the Northern area. Again, looking for info about safe areas with low crime, schools w/ high ACT/PSAE scores, and access to transportation (rail/subway/etc).

Anyone have any actual information they find meaningful instead of a cartographic critique?
Wow, you're touchy, lolz! Anyways, if you're working north and your spouse will work downtown (is that right?) in the city, I'd omit Orland Park from the get go. And, depending on how far northwest you are, I'd probably omit most of those other choices you listed in your first post as well.

Schools in the city are a sketchy proposition. As far as good school districts in the north/northwest burbs, you've got many choice, many many. In fact, you've got more choices than not. You're probably going to want to be in one of the inner ring burbs to shorten your wife's commute. Where's your job?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Poincare: The reason so many are suggesting to be more geographically oriented is because there are many excellent high school choices. 2 suggestions. One of you is working in the suburbs. From that geographic point, look at towns within a 15 mile radius of the suburban job that are also served by Metra Rail service for commuting into downtown. Then research the schools a little bit or ask for forum advice with easier parameters for us to give useful advice. OR ask what the top 5, top 10 or top 20 high schools are and truly make it a school centric search first regardless of commuting times.
Middle aged Mom gave very good advice and a link to school report cards.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
Carbondale is a little far out.

I think Peoria has everything that he is looking for.
I think you missed the joke.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Actually, I take that back. Missed the Peoria part.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,301 times
Following are the average ACT scores of the top ten Chicago area public schools according to ACT results. All students are required to take ACT so you're comparing an entire class, not just college bound test takers. This is 2008 information.

1. Northside College Prep 27.8 (Chicago magnet)
2. New Trier 26.9 (towns of Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Kenilworth, and Northfield - North suburbs)
3. Payton College Prep 26.8 (Chicago magnet)
4. Deerfield 26 (North suburbs - Deerfield and a small part of Highland Park and maybe Riverwoods? Riverwoods may be Stevenson HS)
4. Young Magnet 26 (Chicago magnet)
6. Highland Park 25.8 (North suburbs)
7. Stevenson 25.7 (Lincolnshire and I'm not sure where else - North suburbs)
8. Lake Forest 25.6 (North suburbs)
9. Glenbrook North 25.5 (parts of the cities of Glenview and Northbook - North suburbs)
9. Hinsdale Central 25.5 (West suburbs)
11. Naperville North 25.4 (West suburbs)

Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Following are the average ACT scores of the top ten Chicago area public schools according to ACT results. All students are required to take ACT so you're comparing an entire class, not just college bound test takers. This is 2008 information.

2. New Trier 26.9 (towns of Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Kenilworth, and Northfield - North suburbs)
4. Deerfield 26 (North suburbs - Deerfield and a small part of Highland Park and maybe Riverwoods? Riverwoods may be Stevenson HS)
9. Glenbrook North 25.5 (parts of the cities of Glenview and Northbook - North suburbs)
Stevenson also serves Buffalo Grove north of Lake Cook Rd (the Lake county portion), and all of or parts of Long Grove, Kildeer, Hawthorn Woods. Not sure if parts of Vernon Hills or Riverwoods is served by Stevenson.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Stevenson also serves Buffalo Grove north of Lake Cook Rd (the Lake county portion), and all of or parts of Long Grove, Kildeer, Hawthorn Woods. Not sure if parts of Vernon Hills or Riverwoods is served by Stevenson.
Parts of Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Kildeer, Hawthorne Woods, Vernon Hills, Riverwoods, Lincolnshire, Prairie View, Lake Zurich, Mundelein and Riverwoods feed into Stevenson.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM

211 posts, read 529,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post

Damn, Fremd doesn't even make that list? All them taxes for nuthin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs