U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM

117 posts, read 285,615 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are recent transfers and are renting a home in Mundelein for a year as my wife works in Lake Forest. I don't have a job yet, but figure it could be anywhere from downtown (preferably not) to Schaumburg to Milwaukee...preferable as close to Lake Forest as possible.

We'll probably be making about $150K total, so we're looking in the $275-$375K range...but would prefer to keep it as low as possible, yet live in a decent area with decent schools, in a decent location. I've done a lot of research on our options...Mundelein, Grayslake, Gurnee, Libertyville, Vernon Hills (the latter 2 being on the pricey side).

Mundelein is okay, but I hear the public schools aren't the greatest. Of course, we still have young girls, so we're still years away from Kindergarten, let alone High School...when the education reallly matters most. So knowing us, we won't be in the house that we'll buy (a year from now) for too long...but at the same time, you want to buy in a 'good school district' for resale purposes.

But another major issue is not only narrowing down the town/city, but to find a nice, family friendly subdivision in particular with young 30 somethings who are just starting families and making a modest low 6 figure income.

We rent in Cambridge Country in Mundelein and it's nice, but not a ton of younger (32 & 34) couples with young (1 and 3) kids.

Does anyone know of the perfect place in Lake County or Northern Cook County that would fit our bill???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 AM

4,402 posts, read 10,048,628 times
I agree about the school system in Mundelien.Libertyville has better schools and Vernon Hills has wonderful communities for families with great schools and an easy commute to Lake Forest.It also is on the Metra(train) to the city.Nothing wrong with your other choices,its a matter of finding the right house for the $$ if you like all of the towns and they seem like the could be "home" for you.I would think a decent realtor should take your criteria and give you a long list of options. Good Luck

Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 AM

124 posts, read 497,788 times
Check out Mariner's Cove, corner of Washington and 45. Nice, mixed community - young families, retirees, middle-agers. Two private lakes for residents -- Third Lake -- allows motorcraft; Druce - no motors, small sand wading beach. Play areas. Worst crime in neighborhood (that I know of) is a couple of cars broken into and of course, the great pumpkin caper -- about 15 years ago several pumpkins were smashed at Halloween. Houses are 18 - 25 years old and are in your price range. Kids go to Avon/Grayslake schools. Nice, friendly neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 285,615 times
Thanks for your recommendations...we'll check them all out over this next year.

The sub we're coming from in Indy is brand new and mostly people around our age with young kids. I don't know if anything like that exists in the Northern Chicagoland area, or since the subs are all older, there's a greater mix of ages.

Just wondering.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming if you can think of any other subs in particular.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:10 AM

4,402 posts, read 10,048,628 times
There are ALOT of newer sub-divisions in these towns for you to choose from.Those areas have seen alot of growth.(mimis sounds very nice as well)

Old 04-22-2007, 02:42 AM

4 posts, read 5,990 times
We have lived in Schaumburg for 6 years. The public schools are excellent. My daughter attends the Japanesse school of choice program and the Violin program. She has been learn Japanesse in her classroom since KG...5 years now. Schaumburg also other programs to choice from in their public schools such as Spanish. The neighborhood is friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs