Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 AM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 261,138 times

Advertisements

I know all the Hinsdale elementary schools are good. But there must be differences in perception of those schools. Would any of you be willing to rank the schools and describe why you ranked them that way?

I am not talking about rankings based on test scores.. I can get that any number of places...I am talking about the "hidden" rankings...those based on resident opinion. This will help us as we search for a house.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM

66 posts, read 157,231 times
I have been teaching for close to 30 years and have 2 daughters in Dist. 181 and I can assure you that there is no "hidden" ranking. All of the schools are top notch and any variation is due in a large part to the teacher and the mix of the students in the classroom.

Buy a house because you can afford it, meet the potential neighbors and see if you're compatible and determine if the location works for you. That is a lot more important than comparing schools that vary year to year by 1-2 percentage points on the ISAT test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb View Post
I know all the Hinsdale elementary schools are good. But there must be differences in perception of those schools. Would any of you be willing to rank the schools and describe why you ranked them that way?

I am not talking about rankings based on test scores.. I can get that any number of places...I am talking about the "hidden" rankings...those based on resident opinion. This will help us as we search for a house.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Thumbs up Strong endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BBQ Boy View Post
I have been teaching for close to 30 years and have 2 daughters in Dist. 181 and I can assure you that there is no "hidden" ranking. All of the schools are top notch and any variation is due in a large part to the teacher and the mix of the students in the classroom.

Buy a house because you can afford it, meet the potential neighbors and see if you're compatible and determine if the location works for you. That is a lot more important than comparing schools that vary year to year by 1-2 percentage points on the ISAT test.
I have had some disagreement with Y BBQ B but on this he is DEAD ON -- I too have teaching in my background and with experience in real estate and the business world I have direct experience with dozens of districts in addition to D181. I can say without equivocation that no other district in Illinois with so many schools of such uniformly excellent achievement.

If you have the means to purchase or rent a home within the attendance area of ANY D181 school your children will have access to equal resources and be surrounded by peers and teachers of uniformly excellent potential. Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills and the small portions of other towns that fall in the D181 area really do have quite a variety of homesites, from very "in-town" walk to train locations to more "subdivision" style developments to a few secluded sites for those who want a "hidden in the woods" feel as well as some townhomes, condo and rentals. You can shop knowing than in any area of D181 you will excellent schools.

Of course there are difference in the physical size of the schools and other minor things. As Y BBQ B states some parents prefer the teaching style of one teacher or another -- in a smaller school there may only be one or two sections and the odds of all the 1st graders having the same teacher increase, while the larger schools may have four sections and the odds are more random.

Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM

66 posts, read 157,231 times
I would agree with Chad and its nice to hear from someone with a strong business background as both perspectives are important. Ironically, as America becomes increasingly a meritocracy similar to that of China and Japan, we are abandoning or at least paying little attention to what made our country great. In talking to and observing classes in Japan, I was constantly told by Japanese teachers that they envied the American system of education because it doesn't stress rote memorization and the worship of test scores but rather, encourages creativity and free thinking. This innovation gap has many leaders in East Asia worried as they don't want to be seen as "the workshop of the world" anymore.

What does this have to do with District 181? I think that the district does a good job not only in pushing students to succeed but also to encourage and nurture the creative abilities of children. Now as parents, we need to be less concerned about the "bottom line" and encourage free thinking as well.

As I get off my soapbox, you would be well served by Dist. 181.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 261,138 times
Thanks to both of you for your information. I was not really concerned as all I have read backs up what you are saying. We heard a comment from a realtor that "monroe is the school you want"...but I suspect it was said to sell a house! That being said, I thought maybe I would ask a more impartial source -- hence my post.

I see that The Lane and Elm had a "9" ranking on Great Schools.net vs. a "10" for all of hte others...but I really can't go wrong if the "worst" school in town is a 9!!! Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If the agent has a listing near Monroe then OF COURSE that is "the one you want"...

I suppose a site that lets web users share their opinions is kinda fun if you wanna try out a new pizza place, but for schools I have little use of such things -- the ISAT is a weak test, but it is the only thing there is to go on for elementary schools in IL and the results back up what Y BBQ B & I agree on.

In MANY other towns the mix of kids and the results are far more varied but that is just not the case in D181. Further, as the kids from D181 all feed into Hinsdale Central, along with kids from several other districts, it would be impossible to "hide" any schools that were consistently under /overepresented in either the most demanding classes OR required remedial work -- not something that happens.

Technically D181 has a "enroll where you wish" policy so long as the school as you wish would be no more crowded by your enrollment, and virtually no parents take advantage of that -- the advantage of having classmates up the street are a major reason that every neighborhood is desirable, and unlike towns nearer Lake Michicigan there are really no natural features to draw people toward one area over another.

From a real estate selection perspective there are multi-millions dollars throughout Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills as well as fully habitable homes scattered about that can be purchased for far less. True starter homes for those of modest incomes are lacking, but that is mostly becuase of the hemmed in nature of both towns and the fact that those who wanted new homes had to tear down an existing structure...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM

223 posts, read 662,452 times
Wanted to bump up this thread. From what I've read to date, it seems as if all the elementary schools in Hinsdale are strong, and it would be like splitting hairs to really try to differentiate one from another in any meaningful way. That said, schools can change over time, and something I read on greatschools.org made me want to check back in and see if everyone is still very happy with their neighborhood school. Would love to hear from anyone with children currently at Oak, The Lane, Monroe, or Madison! Thank you. If it's easier to PM me, please feel free; I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs