Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 22,342 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving from Virginia to the Chicago area. I have a child in high school, and one in elementary school. My husband will work in Hoffman Estates or downtown.

I would like a suburb with good schools (special education and college prep important), houses to rent (around 2500 sq feet and up), good access to shopping, good location for commuting, and access for bike riding, parks, and other outdoor activities.

Also, what are the local public colleges and universities, and how easy would they be to commute to?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,407,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova_res62 View Post
Hello,

We will be moving from Virginia to the Chicago area. I have a child in high school, and one in elementary school. My husband will work in Hoffman Estates or downtown.

I would like a suburb with good schools (special education and college prep important), houses to rent (around 2500 sq feet and up), good access to shopping, good location for commuting, and access for bike riding, parks, and other outdoor activities.

Also, what are the local public colleges and universities, and how easy would they be to commute to?

Thanks!
Welcome to Chicagoland!

There are several communities very close to Hoffman Estates that will offer nice housing options, good schools, easy access to parks, easy access to shopping, and easy access to trails.

The closest suburb to Hoffman Estates that I would like to recommend is South Barrington. South Barrington is very upscale. Most of the homes are very large, but there are smaller homes available around 2,500 to 3,000 square feet. It is a small town with 3,760 residents. There are several notable residents who are mostly pro-athletes. South Barrington just got a new mall called the Arboretum of South Barrington. South Barrington has 1 elementary school and that is Rose Elementary and it is rated 9/10 by Greatschools.net. The middle school is Barrington Middle School - Prairie Campus and it is rated 9/10 by Greatschools.net. The high school is Barrington High School, which is rated 10/10 by Greatschools.net and is very well regarded in the Chicago area. It has a reputation for good academics, but it also has a reputation for some of the common elements associated with kids from affluent households. South Barrington is also located next to Paul Douglas Forest Preserve which offers great bird watching and nice bike/jogging trails. Don't forget you'll also be 10 minutes from Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg.

Inverness is the other town I would like to recommend. Inverness is just northeast of South Barrington. Inverness has slightly older homes mostly built from the 1950's thru the 1970's. Inverness also has mostly large homes but there are more small homes available here than in South Barrington. Inverness is located in the Barrington School District, just like Barrington, Barrington Hills, Deer Park, and South Barrington. Inverness has lovely wooded areas and is also located close to Paul Douglas Forest Preserve.

Other communities that I would take a look at are Barrington Hills, Barrington, and Deer Park. I might look into Lake Zurich, but Lake Zurich is less upscale and is also further from Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 22,342 times
Thanks for all of the great info! We had started looking in Barrington as well. I will definitely look at all of the areas you mentioned.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,514,480 times
Rents in South Barrington and inveness start at around $3K/month.

How much are you planning to spend on rent?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,357,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinadivabrownpride View Post
Hola a todos me acaba de mudar aquí con mi esposo cinco hijos, mi hermana, mi hermano en la ley y sus hijos y también nuestros padres, y debo decir que este es el mejor lugar para criar una familia muy barato mucho patio no teníamos mucho espacio para que el astillero tuvo que excavó una en una unidad de todo el rap manera tenemos un montón de familia por lo que es muy ocupado los fines de semana y días festivos por lo que ahora hay espacio para todos a aparcar sus coches. Nuestros vecinos son muy amigables, no hay nada malo me puede decir acerca de este lugar. ... es maravilloso que acabamos de poner un columpio en el patio trasero para los niños son felices, y grandes escuelas de vecinos y de la maravillosa sección 8 lista está abierta en Brown a fin de aplicar antes de ahora la lista se llena.
yeah what she just said.... And I agree to some extent. I would agree more but I failed Spanish twice in high school. French Anyone???

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 45,469 times
Default virginia?

where are you in virginia? we are in virginia beach and are moving to chicago as well, we are looking at deerfield.it would be interesting to compare notes!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM

342 posts, read 1,228,842 times
schaumburg might be a good place that you could live in.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,514,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
yeah what she just said.... And I agree to some extent. I would agree more but I failed Spanish twice in high school. French Anyone???
Poster lives in Brown Cty, Il, about 250 miles from the Chicagoland area.
She is happy there and wants people to know that Brown Cty is taking Section 8 applicatons.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,407,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima1 View Post
where are you in virginia? we are in virginia beach and are moving to chicago as well, we are looking at deerfield.it would be interesting to compare notes!
The original poster is currently residing in Northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs